Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,546 members, 7,819,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

How One Million People Attended Fela’s Funeral In 1997 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How One Million People Attended Fela’s Funeral In 1997 (470 Views)

Chichi Morah: Sound Sultan's Wife Breaks Down At His Funeral In New Jersey / Stella Damasus With Her Roommates In UNIBEN In 1997 (Throwback Photo) / TY Bello's University Of Lagos (1997 Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How One Million People Attended Fela’s Funeral In 1997 by laidelaitan(f): 9:54pm On Aug 05, 2018
How One Million People Attended Fela’s Funeral In 1997

This past Thursday, August 2, marked the twenty-first anniversary of the death of Africa’s most important musical icon, Fela Anikulapo Kuti. His influence on music lives on till date, and his direct impact on the lives of millions of fans and followers was immense.

News of his death began like a rumour until it was confirmed by his elder brother Professor Olikoye Ransome-Kuti: Fela had actually joined his ancestors.

In the documentary Finding Fela, his two oldest children Yemi and Femi Kuti retell the story of the funeral day- August 11 1997.

According to Femi, the extended family wanted it to be a quiet affair, done in his residence with as little fanfare as possible because he died of AIDS. But Fela was larger than life: the children insisted that he should have a public lying-in-state at least. ‘I think the family believed he wasn’t loved anymore. Everybody thought nobody respects [sic] anymore. So it was just my sister and I saying, “this man is still loved”. I said we should lie him in state at this big stadium (Tafawa Balewa Square in Lagos) because a million people would turn up.’

Along with the hearse, the family got there early; just after dawn. They placed Fela’s transparent casket- with him holding a huge wrap of cannabis (a final middle finger to the establishment he fought all his life).

‘6:30am we put his body down. Then we started hearing remarks: where are the million people. I said wait now’.

By 7:30 am, people started trickling in. Soon the trickle became a steady stream and by noon, the whole place was filled with thousands of people who had come to take one final glance at their hero and pay their last respects. It is estimated that one million people were in the square that day. It was nothing less than what Fela deserved.

Continue reading on.....
https://www.headofsocials.com/2018/08/05/headofsocialshow-one-million-people-attended-felas-funeral-in-1997/

Mynd44, Lalastica, FOD

Re: How One Million People Attended Fela’s Funeral In 1997 by marshalldgreat(m): 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2018
Wow
Re: How One Million People Attended Fela’s Funeral In 1997 by goldbim(f): 10:36pm On Aug 05, 2018
ABAMI EDA!!most radio stations honoured him by playing most of his songs too.#for everything a season#

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mercy Johnson, Jim Iyke Makes N10million In 3 Days.watch Official Trailer / Tonto Dikeh , Her Father & Son Step Out Together / Don Jazzy Looks Sweet In New Camouflage Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.