Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,460 members, 7,958,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 01:42 PM

Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US (663 Views)

2023: Concensus Plan Unsettles APC, Protesters Warn Against Imposition / 2023: IBB Supports Concensus Presidential Candidate Option For PDP / Ekiti 2022: Daramola Emerges Labour Party Concensus Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 05, 2018
If this was in US politics Saraki would have been celebrated as a concensus builder who got stuff done in spite of the slim majority in the Senate he presided over.

This for me is further evidence that our political consciousness as a Nation is quite low.

If APC produce both SP and DSP who are very loyal to Buhari, PDP had the numbers to keep blocking everything and nothing would have been achieved.

I think the Saraki/Ekweremadu template will end up later in history as a way to manage slim majority in the house

. Let me tell you the honest truth about the 8th Senate. It is the best Senate since 1999!

Even though this Senate has had the slimmest majority they have passed more bills than any other senate since 1999 including very important bills like the “not too young to run bill” or the “Petroleum industry bill” or the “support for Made-in-Nigeria”.

Saraki and Ekweremadu could have been pursuing their personal interest and personal ambition when they emerged but that arrangement is the best in the circumstance. Considering no party had outright majority.

This arrangement allowed the 8th Senate to build consensus across party lines and get things done. Now what happens when you build concensus is that no side gets everything they want but I honestly think this is the best situation for Nigeria so that the interest of all parts of the country is protected and the collective interest of Nigeria is protected.

No matter who wins in 2019 I will like to see a slim majority again in the NASS because this will make for more scrutiny of the executive and help keep them honest.

This slim majority is probably why the bow and go method of confirmation did not happen in the case of Magu and it is also the reason why the current NASS managed to keep Buhari honest.

Now the alternative to the Saraki/Ekweremadu arrangement would have been an APC loyalist as Senate President and Deputy. Considering APC on its own do not have the numbers to form a quorum on their own, PDP Senators may decide to be obstructionist and nothing will get done! We see this in US Congress all the time where congress can’t come together to approve anything.

So I think that rather than insult Saraki as a betrayer, his ability to manage the slim majority in the Senate to get stuff done should be appreciated! It’s takes a lot of political skill to be a consensus builder. Saraki’s action may not have always been in the interest of APC but it’s has always been in the National interest and for our collective good!

2 Likes

Re: Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US by yemmybx(m): 11:05pm On Aug 05, 2018
Wow!
Re: Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US by SolutionMee: 11:17pm On Aug 05, 2018
Educative, inspiring and awesome I must say

Saraki is a Don

The only atomic bomb in 2019 world war

If you know you know

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US by ojlifa: 11:59pm On Aug 05, 2018
Your thinking is too advance for those in the presidency.what is obtained there is ignorant,bitter pyscophant
Re: Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US by AroleOduduwa(m): 12:24am On Aug 06, 2018
Saraki is not a saint and I hate politians without ideology, but one thing I won’t take away from him is that he’s a smart politician who you can’t afford to toy with, he can pull string outside his zone and has many loyal big weight followers. If not for him, Buhari and his guys would’ve ran Nigeria to the ground.

4 Likes

Re: Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US by AroleOduduwa(m): 12:24am On Aug 06, 2018
Saraki is not a saint and I hate politians without ideology, but one thing I won’t take away from him is that he’s a smart politician who you can’t afford to toy with, he can pull string outside his zone and has many loyal big weight followers. If not for him, Buhari and his guys would’ve ran Nigeria to the ground.

5 Likes

Re: Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US by tomakint: 3:19am On Aug 06, 2018
AroleOduduwa:
Saraki is not a saint and I hate politians without ideology, but one thing I won’t take away from him is that he’s a smart politician who you can’t afford to toy with, he can pull string outside his zone and has many loyal big weight followers. If not for him, Buhari and his guys will run Nigeria to the ground.

You just painted a clear picture of what Saraki has done to the polity under this megalomaniac Buhari who doesn't seem to understand the meaning of governance. I can wager that by Sept 25, when Senate resumes, Buhari will cry like a baby and may be forced to visit London 24/7 after what is about to befall him!
Re: Saraki Would Have Been Celebrated As A Concensus Builder In US by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 04, 2018
Saraki is still standing!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Chief Felix Idiga Reacts To False Claims Of Dumping Imo Coalition / Osun State Government Alleges Plot To Harass Buhari / Bukola Saraki Meets With PDP Delegates In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.