Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,262 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

What's Wrong With All The African Teams? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What's Wrong With All The African Teams? (3807 Views)

Check The List Of 10 European Internationals Who Turned Down Their African Teams / .... / Germany 2006 World Cup Draw: Fate of African Teams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by marutimon: 7:13pm On Jun 21, 2010
I don't agree with the title.

There is nothing wrong with Ghana. ast time I checked they are topping the group and may very well progress (maybe even by winning the group). If they flop lets say ALL, but so far Ghana is the only that has not dissapointed.

And actually I think the team has one thing the other teams lack: A winning mentaity. They were down 1:0, but made a goal to equalize. Countries like Nigeria or Cameroon just tend to fall over and die.
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by bawomolo(m): 7:42pm On Jun 21, 2010
Ranoscky:

U guys should chill, naigeria will get to the quater final level, why are u guys hopeless? undecided . .RELAX MAN!

who is hopeless, NL'ers or the super eagles
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by Ranoscky(m): 7:46pm On Jun 21, 2010
^^Hopeless and impatient 1's in NL.
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by manmustwac(m): 8:47pm On Jun 21, 2010
now ivory coast is out of the competition unless they can score 7 goals or more against north korea
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by Felixjude(m): 11:05am On Jun 22, 2010
they are all under a spell angry
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by dayokanu(m): 5:13pm On Jun 22, 2010
South Africa too is out
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by AjanleKoko: 6:18pm On Jun 22, 2010
dayokanu:

@Ajanlekoko,

Asia has played a world cup semi final.

The best performance for Africa since the world cup started was a quarter final in 1990 and 2002.

There was no edition where we didnt have a tournament with a South American team at the quarters.

in 2006 Argentina and Brazil were in the quarters,

We have the same number if slots as South Americans tell me in which tournament we have done better or even matched them in performance

Crap, again.
South Korea played one semi-final, at home, after extremely dubious games against Italy and Spain, with unbelievably poor officiating.
And what did they do in the semi-final? Went down 0-1 to Germany. And took five against Turkey in the 3rd place match.

Do the Olympics count? We've beaten both Brazil and Argentina at that level.
We have at least beaten Spain at the World Cup.
Give us time. We will get there.

Since then (before and after) nko?
South Africa have never qualified from the group stages in any World Cup.
So what exactly are we saying?

Why are we so quick with this self-condemnation? Take this afternoon's game. South Africa were definitely naive, but they seem to have the best movement and positioning of any of the African sides. If Perreira stays with them, I see them developing into a continental power again.

People are hailing Ghana, but I deplore their negative approach, which will still see them off against Germany. Germany know how to get a result, and will be looking for one, so they can top the group. Will Ghana hope for another penalty? Asamoah Gyan can't seem to find the net any other way. Maybe the referee will save them once again.
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by Ranoscky(m): 6:28pm On Jun 22, 2010
Dis topic should be clossed, South africa has proving u guys Wrong!
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by dayokanu(m): 12:56am On Jun 23, 2010
South Korea played one semi-final, at home, after extremely dubious games against Italy and Spain, with unbelievably poor officiating.

Was South Africa not playing at home? Have they played their own semi finals?

And what did they do in the semi-final? Went down 0-1 to Germany. And took five against Turkey in the 3rd place match.

Going out 0-1 to Germany is not a disgrace by any stretch. And they didnt take 5 against Turkey, You dont have to lie to prove your point.

Do the Olympics count? We've beaten both Brazil and Argentina at that level.

Why should anyone pay attention to underaged tournament where we probably cheated. We beat Brazil and Argentina yet their players like Ronaldo and Rivaldo went to win world player of the year, Roberto Carlos, Dida all became icons of the game. WHat happened to our own overaged, Mobi Oparaku, Teslim Fatusi, Abiodun Obafemi etc that we took there to win?

We have at least beaten Spain at the World Cup.
Give us time. We will get there
We probably started before Asia and Asian teams are even doing better

Since then (before and after) nko?
South Africa have never qualified from the group stages in any World Cup.
So what exactly are we saying?
We are saying African teams are not progressing beyond the groups even though we have home advantage
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by AjanleKoko: 6:14pm On Jun 23, 2010
dayokanu:

Going out 0-1 to Germany is not a disgrace by any stretch. And they didnt take 5 against Turkey, You dont have to lie to prove your point.

Ah, my bad. I meant to say three, not five. Apologies. I no dey lie.
I think the final 2-3 score made me type five.

Meanwhile, watching the last couple of days have caused me to change my opinion.
Maybe for now, the slots should be reduced, at least by one.
The game is not developing any more in Africa, I have to say. Maybe qualification is getting too easy.
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by dayokanu(m): 6:44pm On Jun 23, 2010
Ah, my bad. I meant to say three, not five. Apologies. I no dey lie.
I think the final 2-3 score made me type five.

Losing 2-3 means they lost by a goal margin

Meanwhile, watching the last couple of days have caused me to change my opinion.
Maybe for now, the slots should be reduced, at least by one.
The game is not developing any more in Africa, I have to say. Maybe qualification is getting too easy

Salute you for following reason not your passion. 4 teams already out . Nigeria and Algeria were bottom of their groups. Now we have Ghana and CIV left

CIV is as good as out unless they can overturn a 9 goal deficit
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by AjanleKoko: 10:38pm On Jun 23, 2010
^^
After that, pigs then fly grin
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by dayokanu(m): 10:59pm On Jun 23, 2010
lol
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by AjanleKoko: 8:12am On Jun 24, 2010
Okocha: Africa must start again
June 24, 2010

By Soccernet staff
Former Nigeria international Jay-Jay Okocha said African football needs to "go back to the drawing board" if it is to improve.

"It's about character," he told the BBC. "Our players have not shown enough passion. It's an African tournament [and] we thought we could capitalise on that. That hasn't been the story.

"I think the players have failed to understand that they need to go that extra mile to be able to get results. They are not looking for the solution on how to win games. We [need to] go back to our drawing boards and invest in youth and start planning."

Okocha laid the blame for the continent's relative failure on a lack of planning. "We always wait for an event and then get ourselves ready for just that event."

He added that coaches and players needed to go overseas to gain experience: "I thought that the officials should be given the opportunity as well to go abroad and update themselves, but we haven't done that. We've not invested in our local coaches.

"After going to Europe to prove yourself as a player you come back to that old mentality, that old way of playing. Then sometimes players get caught in the middle. They try to bring you down to their own level , and if you don't want to come down to that level, it's as if you're losing your culture, losing your respect."

Okocha, who played for Bolton, Hull and PSG in Europe, said the big-name stars had failed to deliver. "They haven't really performed. They've underachieved. It's all about character. I don't think our players have shown enough passion for the game. That's the difference between the way they've played here, and the way they play in their various clubs."
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by Ranoscky(m): 9:17am On Jun 24, 2010
Nothing is wrong. That's the game of football for u! *** Afterall other opponent no come sale granutt for feild.***
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by dayokanu(m): 9:27pm On Jun 24, 2010
Cameroun lost all group games.
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by AjanleKoko: 9:44pm On Jun 24, 2010
^^
Feel you man.
Football has not grown in the continent.
Egypt has been by a mile the best team on the continent, and they can't even qualify for the Mundial.
Sad.
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by dayokanu(m): 9:54pm On Jun 24, 2010
Its sad this is a tournament played on our soil and we should have the advantage.

Japan and korea made progress when they hosted the mundial.

I would say football at the National level in Africa has progressed in the negative direction compared to other continents
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 24, 2010
Oh! Africa
Africa my Africa
Always the Sick Baby of the World
Even playing host to the mundial hasn't had any positive impact on thy performance
Rather your children (teams) are being raped left, right and centre by the invaders,

, but seriously, i think we should restructure the way we run our F.A. board, leagues and Football Academies. Use mainly young home based players for all our national games, then make in-depth assessments by 2012 after the nations cup.
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 24, 2010
Oh! Africa
Africa my Africa
Even playing host to the mundial hasn't had any positive impact on thy performance
Rather your children (teams) are being raped left, right and centre by the invaders,

, but seriously, i think we should restructure the way we run our F.A. board, leagues and Football Academies. Use mainly young home based players for all our national games, then make in-depth assessments by 2012 after the nations cup.
Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 24, 2010
Oh! Africa
Africa my Africa

Re: What's Wrong With All The African Teams? by Ranoscky(m): 8:55am On Jun 26, 2010
^^^shey Ur lappy dey suffer from kaitaflu?. . .which 1 be three post same comment?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shiot / Reborn Lotto World Of Winning!!!!!!!!!!! / World Cup - England Vs Ecuador - Second Round Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.