Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

How Important Is Fulfillment In Chosing A Career? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Important Is Fulfillment In Chosing A Career? (755 Views)

How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? / How Important Is It To Be On Your Own? / Fulfillment In My Career (2) (3) (4)

(1)

How Important Is Fulfillment In Chosing A Career? by VPersie: 11:30pm On Jun 20, 2010
In think I may have my head in he clouds. Whenever, I try to discuss a futture career with colleagues, I end up talking idealistically about fulfillment and joy that must come from a job. I say stuff like I will take a 50% pay-cut to move to a job that will give me happiness and other such feel-good emotions. I really believe what I say but I fear that I will not back up my words with actions when I finally get into the job market and have significant bills to pay.

My question is am I naive to insist on getting into a job/career that does not just pay the bills but gives me fufillment. For example, say I could study well and be very good at computer programming ( good enough to work for a tier-B company, say Cummins Inc., Black $ Decker, or Chevron), but I find computer programming very boring and will rather like to do something more fulfilling and personally satisfying for me ( like say work in the non-profit sector), which career move will be better if computer programming will always on the long run pay more than non-profit sector work?

Am I being unrealistic? I know my parents did not think about job fulfillment when they were working hard to put food on the table. I also know that they are so many people that willing to do any job to make ends meet. This makes me like an ingrate when I consider something like "love for what I do " as a factor in choosing a job. Is it notthat doing what you love is the sure gurantee for success or is it working hard at anything you do?

(1)

Banking Or Consulting Which Would You Choose? / Ecobank Restructures, Sacks 400 Workers / Personal Assistant To The Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.