Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,190 members, 7,953,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:56 PM

A Church In California Is Changing The Narrative By Serving Beer During Its Serv - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Church In California Is Changing The Narrative By Serving Beer During Its Serv (329 Views)

Pics:south African Church Where Members Drink Beer During Service And Baptized / Pastor Giving Female Church Members Bottle Of Beer During Deliverance – Viral Ph / Pastor Gives Church Members Beer During Deliverance (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Church In California Is Changing The Narrative By Serving Beer During Its Serv by Babaolorioko(m): 2:56pm On Aug 07, 2018
Faithwire reports that members of the Greater Purpose Community Church in Santa Cruz are allowed to drink beer or wine while listening to the pastor's teachings.
This new trend started after the church sold its building and started meeting at a local food lounge with alcoholic beverages.
Now, a typical service has parishioners listening to Pastor Chris VanHall's sermons while comfortably drinking beer or wine in a comfortable atmosphere where "people cannot only listen to a progressive take on theology but can also engage in conversation."

Explaining his reason for asking the bartenders to keep serving during the service, he said, "there's nothing in the Bible that says you can't drink alcohol in a responsible manner."

He added, "Jesus drank wine and had a reputation of hanging out in places where people consumed alcohol. But for some reason, American churches have been vigilant in saying 'You can't drink alcohol.'"

This idea sits well with lounge owner Andrea Mollenauer who said, "Why not serve beer when they're reading Bible verses? I thought it was genius."

From church to a brewery
Pastor VanHall is taking things a step further by announcing plans to build a brewery like no other.
Unlike the usual brewery, this one will double as a church facility where services will be held with 30 and 60 percent of the profits going to charity.

"I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if a church could figure out a way to make a product where they split the profits with local community service organizations, we were like 'hey, we love beer, we love making beer, why not do a brewery?'" said Pastor VanHall.

With this in mind, he is turning an old bookstore in downtown Santa Cruz into a brewery with church services on Sundays. Afterwards, the building will be open to the public.
"We don't want to dupe anyone, we don't want to have this bar, and say 'ok come on in' and boom you get a church service," he said."We don't want that."

"[Attendees] can have one or two [drinks]. As a matter of fact, if they have two, my sermon's always better," VanHall added.

Would you drink during a church service?

Re: A Church In California Is Changing The Narrative By Serving Beer During Its Serv by marooh: 2:59pm On Aug 07, 2018
lipsrsealed
If i hear anyone say endtime here I will report him or her.
I think this wedding in canan...
As Gulder and Life beer finish......the black j come bring Heineken...

Can't you see the second pic as the Phero dey shout " so this kind beer they here una come give urine "‎ grin

Church shout alleluya‎ cool

1 Like

Re: A Church In California Is Changing The Narrative By Serving Beer During Its Serv by Oluwasaeon(m): 3:17pm On Aug 07, 2018
Best church ever

(1) (Reply)

I Believe / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 27/08/18 / The Bible Teaches Inequality, Women Didn’t Come From Men’s Ribs - Feminist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.