Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,444 members, 7,861,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:37 AM

Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita (777 Views)

Sani Kaita Celebrates His 29th Birthday Today / KAITA: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary / Sani Kaita Vs Abdul Mutallab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by Justcash(m): 11:07am On Jun 21, 2010
Source: http://dr-michael..com/

It will be a very easy question to ask who the most frightened Nigerian player at the moment is. The answer is definitely Sani Kaita.
The Kano born, 24 years old Nigerian defensive midfielder has become more popular due to a moment of madness that he had when he deliberately raised his studs at a Greek player, Vasillis Torosidis, in the full glare of the world. That was indeed a moment of madness that produced a straight red card.
As expected, his dismissal had a negative impact on the performance of the Super eagles of Nigeria. The Greeks overturned their deficit, and ran away with a deserved 2-1 win over the two times African champions.
It was very painful to Nigerians and Africans in general. It was indeed a sad day for Nigerian soccer.
The blame was heaped on Sani Haruna Kaita, who currently plays for Alania Vladikavkaz of Russia.
Kaita regretted his action. As a matter of fact, he rendered an apology to all his fans. He said,
“Of course we were both out on the pitch and we were both running for the ball, so the guy kicked the ball and he hit me with the ball, so I go at him, that is what he asked for. That was the situation. I cannot say anything more about it. I am very disappointed and everyone is disappointed. The reaction of the Greek player is what made me angry because he hurt me with the ball and my temper was high. Of course it wasn't the right thing to do, but it happened and I hope it will not happen again. All I can say is that I'm sorry to all Nigerians, but all hope is not lost and we look forward to the next game. If we win our last game we will go through.”
Following his unfortunate action, and the inability of the Nigerian team to hold on to their goal advantage, The hope of the team to make it to the knock out stages of the world cup being hosted in South Africa is in Jeopardy. The team's progress is now completely dependent on their ability to win S. Korea, and Argentina beating Greece, without conceding a goal.
It will be an understatement to say that this situation broke the heart of more than a 100 million Nigerian fans and supporters of the Super Eagles. It was more of a catastrophe, because apart from emotional disappointments, many Nigerians and foreigners lost huge amounts in monetary and property bets. Who would blame the fans for betting? it looked quite certain that Nigeria would beat Greece, following their above fair performance against Argentina, despite their loss. Also, considering that Greece was yet to win a match in the World cup, it looked certain that they would not break the jinx just yet.
They did Exactly that. They did not only break the jinx, they broke hearts. Alot of Fans lost their bets. As expected, they searched for a reason to hold onto. No other reason was more viable than Kaita's moment of "Karate" madness.
To me, Obasi Ogbuke's open net loss was more grievous. But to many fans, it happens in soccer, while Kaita's action was avoidable.
Kaita woke up within the weekend to discover a flood of death threats among his e-mail messages. According to the Super Eagles spokesman, Peterside Idah, "Kaita has so far received more than 1,000 threats in his e-mail from within Nigeria." He went further to state that the former Monaco player was greatly shaken, but is receiving some support from his team mates.
That was totally unexpected considering the fact that it has never happened in Nigeria's national soccer team's history.
All said and done, it has happened. The guy, Sani Haruna Kaita is definitely scared to his bone marrow now.
Nigerians are visibly divided in their judgment about the rationale of such threats. As expected, a majority condemned it, while a minority wish that the threat was already carried out before being released.
At first, I was with the majority. I totally condemned the action of the Nigerians that sent the threat letters to him. After a careful analysis and consideration, I quickly changed my view in support of the minority.
My reasons are not far-fetched. They are commonsensical.
The majority of Nigerians are looking at the threats from their impact on Sani Kaita, without thinking about their impact on the team in general. Soccer is no more "Just a game".
The present Super Eagles team seem to lack proper motivation. All the Dollars and Pounds being given to them seem not to be good enough to motivate them. Such promises are very counter productive. These player have seen millions of dollars, so they definitely think that they deserve the money, instead of seeing the monetary incentive as a sacrifice of the nation to motivate them. This explains the Psychological "Big boy" playing style of the players in the team. They all look fat and very undisciplined in the pitch. Their pace is slow, and their mode of play is sluggish. The rustiness of their skills and attitude is not in doubt. After all, what else do you expect from players that remind journalists that they are stars each time they grant interviews. To cut the long story short, those players in the current Super eagles team need a new type of motivation.
The question is, how will Sani Kaita play if he is given a chance to make amends?
The aftermath of Sani Kaita's mistake gave me an insight on the reasons why countries like Argentina, Brazil, Colombia etc, that equally have a high rate of indiscipline play with so much vigor and determination. They don't play just to win. They play to keep people alive, make people win bets, save the image of their country, and give nobody the reason to come after them. Even when they lose, their determination, persistence and humility calms the nerves of their fans. The Super Eagles only play to get good clubs, Satisfy their NFF cohorts and to remain stars in the eyes of the fans. They don't care about any other thing.
For losing to Nigeria in 1996 Olympics game, many Brazillian player's homes were attacked and burnt. Roberto Carlos was seriously affected. He understood it and stepped up his game. If Andres Escobar was alive after the attack, and could play, he would have still played for Colombia and would have shone like a million stars.
Now to my point. Someone, somewhere needs to make Super eagles a "hot" team to play in. By "hot", I mean a team where a bad player would not want to attempt joining, for his own safety and the sake of Super Eagles fans. The state of the super eagles team is the reason why a player like Sani Kaita could afford to raise his studs without thinking of the implications. His apology clearly shows that he thinks that he was right in some ways. He sounded indifferent. You won't blame him. He will get his Bonus at the end of the day.
This threat is very much needed to make the Super Eagles players to understand that they have the hearts of more than a hundred million people in their hands. They must do their best or just stay away from the team. It is better to have a visible team of amateurs that can show determination to win, than to have a team of arrogant looking players strolling around the pitch, and playing disgraceful games constantly.
That being said, I wish the same threats and actions can also go to our under performing government officials in Nigeria to make them to sit up. It is not by force to serve Nigeria. If we must serve our country, we must put in our best. If our best is not enough, then we must resign and stay away to give other people the chance to do their best too.
Finally, I don't pray that the threat should be carried out. Sani Kaita must learn from the threats to sit up or ship himself out of the team with his fellow overfed colleagues.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by cantell(m): 11:17am On Jun 21, 2010
^^^Gbam!
Someone needs to slug the guy tho!
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by mukina2: 11:25am On Jun 21, 2010
^
like you've never made a mistake in your life right?

is he the first to make those kinda mistakes, death threats is taking it too far.

Africans do not kill players over football.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by cantell(m): 11:34am On Jun 21, 2010
^^^I have made a lot!
But i don't make stupid mistakes.
And he's mistake, was a stupid one.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by Justcash(m): 4:27pm On Jun 21, 2010
mukina2:

^
like you've never made a mistake in your life right?

is he the first to make those kinda mistakes, death threats is taking it too far.

Africans do not kill players over football.

There are mistakes that are avoidable. when you make such mistakes, you'll have to carry the blame and bear the consequences.

More and more Nigerians are getting involved in serious soccer bets. Soccer radicalism is growing like mad in Nigeria. While it is not a good trend, it is growing too fast. Such threats are bound to be made. Don't doubt the ability of those hooligans. They can hurt that guy called Kaita.

If Nigerians can kill themselves for the premier league, imagine what would happen for a global soccer tournament like the world cup.
Like a commentator said, "The Nigerian team made alot of primary school errors." Kaita action was not completely an error, it was very deliberate and below a nursery school's error.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by 12large: 5:13pm On Jun 21, 2010
abeg poster you dey talk like mumu. keita has been forgiveen but he should never play for nigeria again useless player
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by Justcash(m): 5:48pm On Jun 21, 2010
12large:

abeg poster you dey talk like mumu. keita has been forgiveen but he should never play for nigeria again useless player

Na your father be Mumu. grin grin grin grin Animal like you. How you go forgive person still dey chase am from national team? You dey craze! undecided
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by 12large: 5:51pm On Jun 21, 2010
we no want am for national team because the guy na useless player.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by Justcash(m): 6:03pm On Jun 21, 2010
12large:

we no want am for national team because the guy na useless player.

I agree with you. The guy no be am atall.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by mensdept: 1:18am On Jun 22, 2010
Na wah,

I wonder if Kaita did his foul in the World Cup Final match lol,

Death threat is ridiculous, plain and simple. Most of those advocating for this havent contributed a dime to our local soccer development programs. Shior for you
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by Olaolufred(m): 2:59pm On Jun 22, 2010
cantell (m)

^^^I have made a lot!
But i don't make silly mistakes.
And he's mistake, was a silly one.

It is good that you can tell.
But is what are telling true?
I doubt it.
People like you who condemns this way even make graviously silly mistakes.

Kaita should not be stigmatized. He had only done what others did.
But truly none of them had pre-meditated such. Came as a reaction wrongly managed.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by medjai(m): 3:32pm On Jun 22, 2010
nothing on earth justifies a death threat. Is he the first player to get a red card? Sending offs' are a part of the game. The people sending him death threats are deranged. Havent they seen teams that have gone ahead to win games despite being a man or two men less? What if Yakubu or Obasi had converted their chance? These people are just looking for someone to heap all the blame upon.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by medjai(m): 8:44pm On Jun 22, 2010
thank goodness there is no Kaita to heap the blame upon.
Re: Why A Death Threat Is Good For Kaita by bigfather(m): 9:41pm On Jun 22, 2010
Abeg make the guy just comot for national team. Nigeria has never gotten any red card in the history of world cup if not for his silly mistake.

But come to think of it , why be say na Mallams dey always soil our names ? Abdulmutalab and now Keita ? Anyway the world cup is all over for us and i am proud to be a GHANIAN untill after the world cup !

(1) (Reply)

Fifa Should Disband Nff / Mandela's Ex-wife Offers Ghanian Player,boateng Her Grand-daughter To Marry! / FIFA Rates Nigeria Third Worst Football Developing Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.