Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,908 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) (622 Views)

Nigerian Music Videos With Highest Views On Youtube. / Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? / Blogger Replies Trace Urban, Mocks Loyal Nigerian Artistes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) by frijos(m): 11:54am On Jun 21, 2010
Out of curiosity, I googled and read somewhere on the net why Nigerian artistes don't get royalties.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200805164514487

I personally think it's unfair because without the creative works of these artistes the music channels won't get viewers. It's like this music videos(artistes)=Viewers=Adverts=Income for the music channel. No Music video---No Viewer----No adverts---No income. So therefor, I think the Nigerian artistes deserve a share of that income. The information I gathered on the link above suggest that artistes are not paid royalties because there are no collection bodies for the royalties to be paid and the Law states that Royalties can not be paid directly to artistes! The question I want to ask is what is the PMRS (Performing mechanical rights society) there for?

I personally feel it's high time we the artistes fight for what is rightfully ours. Something have to be done to stop this big rip-off! Perhaps, they (Music channels in Nigeria) are waiting for us (artistes) to speak because if we don't it only goes to show that we are "illeterates" and we don't know our rights! So they just sit back and call us fools while they enjoy what should have been ours.

Re: Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) by ofokaofoki: 12:06pm On Jun 21, 2010
Do you know an artist is supposed to be paid for each minute ur song is played on radio or tv?
Re: Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) by Genuflect(m): 12:22pm On Jun 21, 2010
You can't be paid royalties if you don't license or register your songs. How many artists do that? Plus our justice system is too confused to actually make this work. Then of course the infamous Piracy. It goes on and on. You can't just skip one step. It has to be done properly
Re: Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) by frijos(m): 12:31pm On Jun 21, 2010
and this is a good way to start. Perhaps someone out there might take notice of this. I believe we can make it work by taking the right and necessary steps. Nigerian artistes needs more than just the talent to sing/rap/produce they need good/sound knowledge of the industry and their rights as artistes/musicians/producers.

http://www.mcsnnigeria.org/1tco
Re: Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) by ofokaofoki: 1:47pm On Jun 21, 2010
TOO MANY TALENTS, BUT ZERO MANAGEMENT and organisation
, MOST PEOPLE RUSH IN AND RUSH OUT , NO PLAN!
DONT RUSH INTO MUSIC IF U ARE NOT READY ,
BUILD STREET CREDIBILITY FIRST THEN MANAGEMENT , THEN HIT THEM WIT LIKE 10 HITS AT A TIME,
, YOU MUST HAVE A SILENT PLAN TO MAKE HITS !!!! KEEP your hits FOR AS LONG AS U WANT,. THEN RELEASE it? remember dbanj and mohits , all na plan!!! there is a loophole already , most A-list artists are fading away , new cats need to take over,
believe me fj. wink  good planning will work.!
Re: Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) by frijos(m): 2:50pm On Jun 21, 2010
@Ofoka well said bruv, any artiste who is smart shud know this. it's more than just knowing how to sing/rap.
Re: Nigerian Artistes Deserves To Be Paid Royalties (share your Views And Opinion) by seedlings: 9:49am On Jun 24, 2010
Bro Ofokafobi, you said something that drew my attention, Am an upcoming artist, have an album (10 tracks) already written and well composed, but i don't stil want to rush in but to spend some time to make it more tighter and in all to raise money on my side that can carry the whole songs before going out. Please do you have more advice. please post it here, I will appreciate that from any other body.

(1) (Reply)

Power Of Music? / Recycle Old Crayons To Make Candles / New Music: Playbuoy Ft. Brymo – Playbuoy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.