Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away (1400 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by fontv1: 4:35pm On Aug 11, 2018
Help, i issued a quit notice to a tenant after 12 months of refusing to pay up his outstanding rent. At the expiry of the notice, he parked out at 30 days late and yet he locked the entire doors and the main access to the 2 bedroom flat and went away with the keys. We tried contacting his guarantor but were told he has traveled out of Nigeria.

Please advice me on how we can take possession of our property.

Thanks and God bless
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by OsuMustGo: 4:39pm On Aug 11, 2018
fontv1:
Help, i issued a quit notice to a tenant after 12 months of refusing to pay up his outstanding rent. At the expiry of the notice, he parked out at 30 days late and yet he locked the entire doors and the main access to the 2 bedroom flat and went away with the keys. We tried contacting his guarrator but were told he has traveled out of Nigeria.

Thanks and God bless
Involve the police and break the damn locks
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by Merimental(m): 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2018
if u d owner of d house den no case here....it will cost u sha but just call a carpenter to do estimate of new locks,after dat break into ur house fix d new locks n voila....ur house is ready 4 rentage again...
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by Randy100: 4:49pm On Aug 11, 2018
You have really dealt with the tenant for him to have done that kind of thing.

1 Like

Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by cvibe2: 5:10pm On Aug 11, 2018
fontv1:
Help, i issued a quit notice to a tenant after 12 months of refusing to pay up his outstanding rent. At the expiry of the notice, he parked out at 30 days late and yet he locked the entire doors and the main access to the 2 bedroom flat and went away with the keys. We tried contacting his guarrator but were told he has traveled out of Nigeria.

Thanks and God bless

Don't break the locks except you want the tenant to become the land lord after he makes claims on his missing properties.

Go and report to police, then take the case to court for repossession of the flat
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by thesicilian: 5:15pm On Aug 11, 2018
cvibe2:

Don't break the locks except you want the tenant to become the land lord after he makes claims on his missing properties.

Go and report to police, then take the case to court for repossession of the flat
You people have time o. First you wait 12months for tenant to pay rent, then another 1month, now that he has packed out you still want to report to police, take an absentee tenant to court, wait for the court (after several adjournments ) to tell you what you should have done from day 1: break the damn doors and throw out / confiscate any of his remaining property!

1 Like

Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by thesicilian: 5:20pm On Aug 11, 2018
Randy100:
You have really dealt with the tenant for him to have done that kind of thing.
Lol. You haven't met some chronic debtor tenants.

1 Like

Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by cvibe2: 5:24pm On Aug 11, 2018
thesicilian:

You people have time o. First you wait 12months for tenant to pay rent, then another 1month, now that he has packed out you still want to report to police, take an absentee tenant to court, wait for the court (after several adjournments ) to tell you what you should have done from day 1: break the damn doors and throw out / confiscate any of his remaining property!

Try that, then you’ll know tenancy law actually protects tenants.
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by thesicilian: 5:29pm On Aug 11, 2018
cvibe2:

Try that, then you’ll know tenancy law actually protects tenants.
Not after the length of time he has been given and he has packed out. Study the laws again carefully
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by Randy100: 5:30pm On Aug 11, 2018
thesicilian:

Lol. You haven't met some chronic debtor tenants.
Then the tenant won't lock the door while packing out. The tenant is definitely angry with the landlord and he wants to punish him.
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by cvibe2: 7:07pm On Aug 11, 2018
thesicilian:

Not after the length of time he has been given and he has packed out. Study the laws again carefully

The easiest way to find out the result of such action is from the nearest police station
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by fontv1: 7:13pm On Aug 11, 2018
Yes its my personal property. He could not pay his rent for about 12 months, meaning he was owning 12 month rent before he was giving quit notice that granted him another stay of 6 months then he finally parked out on the 7th month after the quit notice was served. Now he left with the keys and switched off his phone. Possibly changed his line and honestly we did nothing to him.
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by chilan: 8:54pm On Aug 11, 2018
fontv1:
Yes its my personal property. He could not pay his rent for about 12 months, meaning he was owning 12 month rent before he was giving quit notice that granted him another stay of 6 months then he finally parked out on the 7th month after the quit notice was served. Now he left with the keys and switched off his phone. Possibly changed his line and honestly we did nothing to him.

It is very simple. Get your lawyer to file a simple ex-parte motion to break into and recover possession. It won't take more than two weeks depending on the state where the property is located at.

NB: This is not a criminal matter and therefore you need not report same to Police else you will be paying more than necessary.
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by czarina(f): 9:57pm On Aug 11, 2018
And I thought my former neighbours were the only weird ones around. Dude and his wife locked their flat, removed the kitchen sink(they claimed they fixed the sink in my apartment while they lived there and so had right over it, but it wasn't any of my business, never knew they had a pact before I moved in so I had them go settle their "sink fight" somewhere else and they promptly took the sink in their flat to get back at the "madame") locked up and took the keys with them but remembered to send down the landlady's Bible she gave them when they "got born again".

Op, check again, something must have prompted it. People don't change overnight. I used to see reasons with the landlady when she narrated her version, found out later tenants never stayed up to a year in that house. Mine was worse, stayed only three months and found a replacement(felt bad for the poor guy, but hey, no one felt bad for me when saw me moving in)
That aside, you were gracious letting them stay an extra year without rent.
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by fontv1: 10:33am On Aug 12, 2018
czarina:
And I thought my former neighbours were the only weird ones around. Dude and his wife locked their flat, removed the kitchen sink(they claimed they fixed the sink in my apartment while they lived there and so had right over it, but it wasn't any of my business, never knew they had a pact before I moved in so I had them go settle their "sink fight" somewhere else and they promptly took the sink in their flat to get back at the "madame"wink locked up and took the keys with them but remembered to send down the landlady's Bible she gave them when they "got born again".

Op, check again, something must have prompted it. People don't change overnight. I used to see reasons with the landlady when she narrated her version, found out later tenants never stayed up to a year in that house. Mine was worse, stayed only three months and found a replacement(felt bad for the poor guy, but hey, no one felt bad for me when saw me moving in)
That aside, you were gracious letting them stay an extra year without rent.

Nothing serious that would have prompted him to do so. I (the landlord) do not leave with them in the said property, we don't trouble them, infact we were ready to offer him more months to stay but the rate at which he is patronising bad gangs was alarming, they fight and smoke weeds frequently.

Aside that i think he felt disgraced by been served "QUIT NOTICE"
Re: Help: My Tenant Packed After Quit Notice, Locked And Took The Keys away by fontv1: 10:33am On Aug 12, 2018
Aside that i think some people do not like that quit notice or feel disgraced by been served "QUIT NOTICE"

(1) (Reply)

Estate Behind Lagos Biggest Shoprite With C Of O / Own a BEACH ESTATE Close to La Campaign Tropicana Ibeju Lekki with N200k Deposit / Road Map To Wazobia Garden Phase 1 Lekki Lagos,pay For Half Plot&get Full Plot.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.