Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price (2553 Views)

This Plant Can Be Used In Place Of Catfish Feed / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? / Apples Grow In Nigeria (Unseen Opportunities In Apple Farming) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by tolase220(m): 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2018
Another employment source, like in Uganda, is the Vanilla bean cultivation for export to America, Europe and India. It is very lucrative, as reported in the Ugandan case below:

Armed thieves besiege farms to steal vanilla pods which are later sold off to unscrupulous brokers. Farmers in Kasese, in the country’s west are forced to arm themselves or hire security guards to deter vanilla hunters.

Thus, rising prices of vanilla on the global market have become a threat to farmers in Uganda rather than a blessing.
Uganda produces about 150 metric tons of processed vanilla annually, most of which is sold in the United States, India and the United Kingdom. A kilo of unprocessed vanilla sells for about 67 dollars locally.

So, the germane questions will be;

Can Vanilla grow in Nigeria? Yes (Google)
2. Where can I get the plant to cultivate it? Plant Research Centres- Ibadan, etc; import from Uganda.

Over to enterprising Nigerians, give the Madagascans (largest exporters) a run for their money asap!

africanews, adapted

http://www.naijapoint.com.ng/2018/08/10/vanilla-chocolate-plant-can-grow-in-nigeria-67-kilo-local-price/

2 Likes

Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by Mexicanlover: 5:35pm On Aug 12, 2018
shocked shocked Aidonbelivit
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by Priest69(m): 5:49pm On Aug 12, 2018
Are you for real? shocked
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by numen(m): 9:56am On Aug 13, 2018
I am definietly going to test this. Thanks for the info!
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by mfm04622: 10:24am On Aug 13, 2018
This is not an easy thing ooo. It will take at least 3 good years of hard work for the bean to flower. How many Nigerian farmers are ready to work for 3 years before making money?
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by suyamasta(m): 9:56am On Jun 08, 2019
But the money is worth the work na why are we not farming this, Uganda is living it up
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by greenlord(m): 12:51pm On Jun 08, 2019
And is there market for it in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by kingharzy: 2:45pm On Jun 08, 2019
Pavore9 I think you can add this to your list
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by imhere: 12:18pm On Oct 29, 2019
Vanilla is the second most expensive spice after saffron, in the world. A few countries cultivate vanilla and Uganda is one of them. There is the concern whether vanilla can grow in Africa and in Nigeria. The answer is yes, it is already a success in Uganda and can do well anywhere if the following requirements are given.

Vanilla grows under shade and require sunlight only from the
sides. You can intercrop them with banana, jatropha plant as a support post to the vanilla plant.
Treilli vanilla horizontally because flowering will not happened if the grow upward.
They don't have birds or insects to pollinate them. So pollination is by hand. The most important part of vanilla farming is successful pollination.
Curing for flavour and extract is....
https://www.enibest.com.ng/all-posts/agriculture/how-to-start-vanilla-farming-in-nigeria-for-bean-and-extract/
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by imhere: 4:44pm On Aug 19, 2020
I HAVE 5 YRS EXPERIENCE VANILLA FARMING IN SRI LANKA, SPECIALLY IN GREEN HOUSE, HOPE I WOULD BE A VERY GOOD CONTACT POINT, TO KNOW AND SET UP THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF GROWING FROM A TO Z.
PRESENTLY I AM IN NIGERIA, WORKING.
REGARDS

PLEASE CONTACT ME
NK.SEKAR
Call: 08035965405
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by Atlanticfire: 12:17am On Aug 20, 2020
imhere:
I HAVE 5 YRS EXPERIENCE VANILLA FARMING IN SRI LANKA, SPECIALLY IN GREEN HOUSE, HOPE I WOULD BE A VERY GOOD CONTACT POINT, TO KNOW AND SET UP THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF GROWING FROM A TO Z.
PRESENTLY I AM IN NIGERIA, WORKING.
REGARDS

PLEASE CONTACT ME
NK.SEKAR
Call: 08035965405

From your experience and knowledge of Nigeria, do you think that vanilla beans will grow well in Nigeria?
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by imhere: 7:25pm On Aug 20, 2020
@Atlanticfire, the answer is yes but under Greenhouse

Atlanticfire:

From your experience and knowledge of Nigeria, do you think that vanilla beans will grow well in Nigeria?
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by Atlanticfire: 8:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
imhere:
@Atlanticfire, the answer is yes but under Greenhouse

Nice to know. How long will it take to produce the beans for sale?
Re: Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price by imhere: 11:19am On Aug 21, 2020
It depends on the specie, we have the ones that take between 2-3 years but with hybrid within a year.
Atlanticfire:

Nice to know. How long will it take to produce the beans for sale?

(1) (Reply)

Between Rabbit Farming And Poultry, What Can You Suggest For A Student / Manual Hand Planter/transplanter(for Vegetables, Tomatoes) For Sale / A Comprehensive Textbook On Cashew Nuts Trading.. #2500 only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.