Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene (1285 Views)

Mahmood Yakubu Presents 2019 INEC Budget To Senate Committe (Photos) / Senate Won’t Experience Peace If Saraki Refuses To Resign – APC Senator / Senators Attempt To Reconvene The National Assembly. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by ngtimea16: 1:02am On Aug 13, 2018
Senators and House of Representatives members were yet to confirm last night whether or not the two chambers will reconvene tomorrow to consider the 2019 elections budget.

The Chairman of the National Assembly, Dr. Bukola Saraki, was yet to announce that the lawmakers should reconvene.

Also, there are indications that if the two chambers reconvene, the Senate may end up merely concurring with the report of the House Committee on the 2019 poll budget for the Independent National Electoral Commission( INEC).

The House Committee, chaired by Hon. Aisha Dukku, is said to have concluded the consideration of the budget before the abrupt recess of the National Assembly on July 24.

Many senators and House members, who were hitherto set for summer and Hajj rites, remain in Abuja because there is no word from the National Assembly’s leadership.

A member of the House from the Northwest said: “This budget is important but there is anxiety everywhere on the security implications of recalling members.

“From the look of things, our leaders are looking at all options on how to make the ratification of the budget easier.”

A principal officer of the House, who spoke in confidence, said: “We have not been told when the National Assembly will reconvene to consider the poll budget. I know the Speaker assured INEC Chairman Mahmud Yakubu last week that we will give the budget a speedy consideration. We are awaiting a recall announcement.

“So far, Tuesday does not look practicable. The basic challenge is the crisis of confidence among members of the two chambers.

“I think the National Assembly leadership is trying to manage the tempers arising from the defections and the seige to the Assembly complex last week. We are also talking to ourselves to allow reason to prevail.”

House Rule V(18) (1-3) says: “18. (1) Whenever the House shall stand adjourned to a date not fixed and it is represented to the Speaker by the Leaders of the political Parties in the House that the House shall meet on a certain day at a certain time, the Speaker shall give notice accordingly and the House shall meet on the date and at the time stated in the notice.

(2) “Whenever the House stands adjourned either to a date fixed by Resolution or the Rule of the House, and it is represented by the Leaders of the Political Parties in the House to the Speaker that the public interest requires that the House should meet on an earlier or a later date or time than that on which it stands adjourned, the Speaker may give notice accordingly, and the House shall meet on the date and at the time stated in the notice.

(3) “Whenever the Speaker shall have given notice in accordance with either of the two preceding paragraphs, the Clerk shall communicate the terms of the notice to each member. “

Senate Leader Ahmad Lawan said: “I am still waiting to be informed by the President of the Senate on whether we will sit on Tuesday or not.

“Well, I will expect the Senate President to talk to me or call. I have not received any communication yet.

“And normally, an announcement is supposed to be made. We have not heard of any as I speak with you.”

But there were indications at the weekend that if the two chambers reconvene, the Senate may end up merely concurring with the report of the House Committee on the 2019 poll budget for INEC.

A member of the committee said: “The House Committee has fine-tuned the budget in readiness for its consideration at the plenary.

“To save time, the leaders of the two chambers were said to have agreed to adopt the budget ratified by the House.

“Since the Senate is the hotbed of legislative crisis now, the chamber might only sit to concur with the report of the House.

“What the Assembly leadership is planning is to have a brief sitting on the budget. But we are all in suspense on when we will reconvene. We have not been notified of any sitting on Tuesday.”

http://www.thengtimes.com/2018/08/2019-inec-budget-stuck-as-senate-wont.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by francisMKD(m): 1:06am On Aug 13, 2018
ftc ...i pray they don't
Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by Nobody: 1:14am On Aug 13, 2018
Saraki is afraid

2 Likes

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by Nobody: 1:20am On Aug 13, 2018
Stop being mischievous

The budget has been passed on to the relevant committee for review and then following that Senate will reconvene for the general floor to deliberate and pass it

There are processes that the law expect these things to follow and the process is running

Meanwhile it has been revealed that INEC submitted this budget to the presidency in February but it only got to senate in July

It must have been a snail that was transporting the bill to the NASS

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by Bakerdav: 2:12am On Aug 13, 2018
Why saraki dey fair Now
Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by Cjrane2: 2:20am On Aug 13, 2018
Is there any need to give extra money to INEC?

They are already collecting more bribes to rig electoral outcomes than the Nigeria police.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by tomakint: 2:50am On Aug 13, 2018
INEC is just a huge fraud as we speak now under the irritating dictator erroneously called "Mr Integrity". I will still maintain that the only option left for Buhari and INEC as 2019 approaches is rigging and they will be firmly resisted.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:55am On Aug 13, 2018
How can they reconvene when APC is constituting nuisance upandan and the president is keeping quiet!

Using our collective wealth to fight your political enemies undecided

Who can work under such environment!

Besides why should INEC approve budget few months to the election What exactly have they being doing since the last election undecided

Mtcheeeeeew ghost workers!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by awakeupcall4all(m): 5:04am On Aug 13, 2018
Why all this rush, suspicious nagging and irritating emergency??

What was the rogue government doing with the budget that has been submitted to the presidency since February??

Why would any patriotic Nigerian support a jamboree expenditure of 242 billion naira on a charade of election that is now characterized by SEE AND BUY and ballot snatching by thugs and police?

Those are the questions we should be asking ourselves!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by olasaad(f): 5:38am On Aug 13, 2018
Wiseandtrue:
How can they reconvene when APC is constituting nuisance upandan and the president is keeping quiet!

Using our collective wealth to fight your political enemies undecided

Who can work under such environment!

Besides why should INEC approve budget few weeks to the election What exactly have they being doing since the last election undecided

Mtcheeeeeew ghost workers!

Abi ooo I wonder. I think it high time the presidency caution Oshomole and his boys. And now they will be blaming Saraki

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by thunder74(m): 6:03am On Aug 13, 2018
kenonze:
Saraki is afraid
Why won't he when he knows some people are extremely lawless?
Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by igben(m): 6:06am On Aug 13, 2018
APCEEEEEEEEEE=SCAMMMMMMMMMM
Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by TheKabal: 6:08am On Aug 13, 2018
Cjrane2:
Is there any need to give extra money to INEC?

They are already collecting more bribes to rig electoral outcomes than the Nigeria police.

I wonder why your kind bothers with Nigerian politics or Nigeria. You hate this country, why don't you fly away. When PDP or something similar gains influence at the center you can think about returning, if your not too soft.

1 Like

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by IsaAbubakar: 6:58am On Aug 13, 2018
[s]
TheKabal:

I wonder why your kind bothers with Nigerian politics or Nigeria. You hate this country, why don't you fly away. When PDP or something similar gains influence at the center you can think about returning, if your not too soft.
[/s]
Rubbish
they have 100% right to say just like you and I
they pay their tax which is also among the expenditures of inec

so stop the blackmail and focus on getting rid of buhari next year beck he's a threat to the existence of this country.

Assalamualaikum bro cool

1 Like

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by Nobody: 7:18am On Aug 13, 2018
Ok
Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:44am On Aug 13, 2018
olasaad:

Abi ooo I wonder. I think it high time the presidency caution Oshomole and his boys. And now they will be blaming Saraki
We never learn in this country!

In order to prepare for this election, INEC needed to have put so many things in place before now!

This would have avoided so many issues such as missing names and all that!

A government that claims to be transparent would see to it that preparations starts early to take care of so many factors!

This failed coup planned at NASS involves not only Lawal Daura but other APC members! Someone must have given the DSS that clearance yet our PRESIDENT up till now have not address us to show that he doesn't like such!

A whole invasion of NASS undecided

Since the problem was not uprooted from the root that is why an ordinary party still have the audacity to interfere in legislative matters!

A national issue such as this yet the president is quiet on such issue!

It's a shame undecided

1 Like

Re: 2019: INEC Budget Stuck As Senate Won’t Reconvene by Peacecore: 8:21am On Aug 13, 2018
He is giving them enough reason to forcefully reconvene n impeach dat epitome of corruption

(1) (Reply)

CAN Fires Yemi Osinbajo: We Preach Against Corruption / Nigeria Rice Production Statistics! / IGBO ASSEMBLY KICKS AGAINST 2019 ELECTION.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.