Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,384 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again (15605 Views)

Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other / Buhari Declines Assent To Five More Bills - Thisday Newspaper / President Buhari Declines Assent To NOSDRA Amendment Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:05am On Aug 14, 2018
...Use of card reader in jeopardy

...Presidency explains action today

...Appeal Court halts arrest of INEC chairman

President Muhammadu Buhari has again vetoed the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2018, citing drafting issues, which he said might affect the interpretation and application of the principal act.

According to the president in separate communications to the President of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, and the Speaker of House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara, cited by THISDAY, some of the provisions of the bill would adversely affect the operations of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The president was, however, vague about the offensive provisions even as the veto meant a rejection of the use of electronic card readers for the conduct of the 2019 general election, which many political analysts said would make the nation’s electoral process cleaner.

This is the second time the president would be vetoing alterations to the electoral law.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, Senator Ita Enang, however, confirmed to THISDAY on phone last night that his boss declined assent to the second amendment bill for stated reasons, adding, however, that a third bill on the same subject that was passed on July 24, 2018, was pending before the president.
“I will make a clear statement on it tomorrow,” he said.

Buhari had in March this year rejected the amendment to the electoral law, which altered the sequence of elections placing the National Assembly election first, followed by presidential election while governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections would hold last.
“Section 25 of the principal act, may infringe upon the constitutionally guaranteed discretion of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to organise, undertake and supervise elections provided in Section 15(A) of the third statue to the Constitution;” he had said.
The Court of Appeal, however, ruled earlier in the month that the National Assembly has constitutional powers to order the sequence of election.

Ironically, the rejection of the bill would now render useless and inapplicable, the president’s provisioning for purchase and upgrading of new electronic card readers for the INEC as part of the N242 billion 2019 election budget.
The Supreme Court had ruled that while the card reader and other electronic devise would enhance the transparency of the electoral system, it was, however, not part of the electoral law.

It was in an attempt to legalise the devise that the federal legislature decided to codify and include it in the electoral law.
“We see this as not only disingenuous but hypocritical for a president who won election following introduction of card readers but has now turned around to reject it. What is he (Buhari) afraid of,” a ranking lawmaker said out of frustration Monday.

“Remember, he rejected the first bill because of sequence of election. We then decided to remove it from the bill and all other concerns the president raised, and we sent the bill with the hope that he will sign it since these concerns have been addressed,” he said.

Appeal Court Halts Arrest of INEC Chairman

In a related development, the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division has ordered a stay of execution of the warrant of arrest on Chairman of INEC, Prof. Mahmoud Yakubu, pending the determination of his appeal.
Justice Stephen Pam of the Federal High Court in Abuja, had on August 1, 2018, ordered for the arrest of Yakubu, following his absence in court on three different occasions, to show cause why he should not be committed to prison over his alleged disobedience to the order of the court.

Justice Pam, also in a short ruling on August 8, reaffirmed the order, when Yakubu on the last adjourned date failed to show up.
His counsel, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), had informed the court that Yakubu was not in court as a result of the appeals he filed at the appellate court challenging the court’s jurisdiction to entertain the contempt charge, the legality of the charge as well as the arrest order.

The INEC chief in the notice of appeal claimed that Justice Pam acted in bad faith in the issuance of the arrest order because he had already filed a pending appeal against the order and the attention of the judge drawn to the appeal.

When the matter came up yesterday, counsel to the INEC chief, told the court that he had filed an application challenging the judgment of the lower court as well as its jurisdiction to hear the matter, adding that the application was supported by a further affidavit dated August 10, praying for the appellate court to make five orders in favour of his client.
Awomolo said if the appeal was not heard by the time the court would be sitting in September, his client would have been sent to prison, adding that the lower court was bent on sending Yakubu to jail.

However, counsel to the respondents, Mr. Goddy Uche (SAN), insisted that the trial was yet to reach the stage where Yakubu could be jailed, adding that what the trial court was asking for was for the INEC chief to appear in court to show cause why he should not be committed to prison.
He said the trial judge had been unable to deliver his ruling on the contempt charge because of Yakubu’s continued absence in court.

However, the trial could not proceed further, following the court’s decision to avoid going into the substantive matter.
The three-man panel of the court of appeal, presided over by Justice Abdu Aboki, held that it would be better for the court to take the appeal and the substantive suit together.

The court in the meantime then ordered for a stay of execution of the warrant of arrest on Yakubu as well as a stay of proceedings of the matter at the trial court.
The court in a short ruling held that hearing of the appeal could not go on without delving into the main suit, adding that parties were yet to file their brief of argument.
The matter was, therefore, adjourned till September 17, 2018 for the hearing of the appeal and the substantive suit.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/08/14/again-buhari-declines-assent-to-electoral-act-amendment-bill/amp/

2 Likes

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by rottennaija(m): 6:12am On Aug 14, 2018
This one na old news naa

1 Like

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by madridguy(m): 6:18am On Aug 14, 2018
The rogues should leave our election time-table as it is. There are many things I think the rogues should be looking into, vote buying should be their concern now and not re-ordering.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by lirusehn(m): 6:19am On Aug 14, 2018
SayByeBye SaiBaBa

6 Likes

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by dlondonbadboy: 6:20am On Aug 14, 2018
What is Buhari afraid of? grin grin.

I'm always happy when I see Buhari very afraid....

A President that won an election using card reader ( that made the entire election process cleaner) wants to reject it because him and oshiomole have almost perfected their rigging plans.

Oshiomole thinks we don't know how he rigged Edo election? He can't try that in the presidency or by God, the dogs, baboon and zombies would be soaked in blood... grin

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:28am On Aug 14, 2018
dlondonbadboy:

This your question eeeh lipsrsealed

His supporters told us that he's very popular, that he can win any election even in Mozambique but, they and their demigod are jittery about this bill.

Abeg makai go White House I dey cum

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Fuckyoumod: 6:38am On Aug 14, 2018
Fellow Nigerians, I won't lie I'm tired of this Nigerian political Drama everyday... Nothing dey reach me sef grin

So let me spend today for myself alone...

I'm plus one today.

Show your brother some love!

Have a nice day.

99 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by LeBlanc36(m): 6:41am On Aug 14, 2018
Burahi's anti-democratic credentials is second to none.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Almaiga: 6:43am On Aug 14, 2018
Baba is no Coward. Saraki can present his shady bill to Buhari for presidential assent over and over, Baba will not sign it until NA do the right thing.

Sai Baba!!!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Racoon(m): 6:49am On Aug 14, 2018
See the useless & lawless president again Even with the court ruling?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by madridguy(m): 6:54am On Aug 14, 2018
So the Bill is about card reader?

dlondonbadboy:

A President that won an election using card reader ( that made the entire election process cleaner) wants to reject it because him and oshiomole have almost perfected their rigging plans.

Oshiomole thinks we don't know how he rigged Edo election? He can't try that in the presidency or by God, the dogs, baboon and zombies would be soaked in blood... grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by mycar: 7:10am On Aug 14, 2018
madridguy:
The rogues should leave our election time-table as it is. There are many things I think the rogues should be looking into, vote buying should be their concern now and not re-ordering.

If your so called rogues do not legalise the use of card reader how then does your master want them to approve money for the purchase of the machine.

The Nigeria you see today shall not favor you for long, think of your kids and your generation to come and demand that the right thing be done irrespective of the side you belong. You should prevail on your master to charge the law enforcement agencies to do their jobs, never mind, I forgot who the perpetrator is.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by dlondonbadboy: 7:13am On Aug 14, 2018
madridguy:
So the Bill is about card reader?

Was the bill the only issue addressed by this topic? Even the court's position on yakubu was also mentioned.
Think wide. Don't be a zombie.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by vedaxcool(m): 7:17am On Aug 14, 2018
We IPoB juwus rejected by Israel will continue to oppose PMB because he didn't give Cownu VP slot, can you imagine all the insults we directed at him and he still did not budge.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 14, 2018
Buhari does not want election

I thought they said Buhari is popular?

what Is he afraid of?

There is no democracy in Nigeria. The whole thing is a charade. The same grace GEJ showed and allowed the will of the people.

This APC government will rather subvert the will of the people than lose power.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 14, 2018
Why cant the card reader be signed into law? But we want to go ahead with the purchase of machines worth N242bn..

Is this not madness?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 14, 2018
Election is 6 months away and Buhari is holding back signature cos of election sequence?

Buhari is a failure I tell you

If he does not want to sign the bill and does not want to hold elections then that’s ok

One thing I know is one way or the other Buhari will go. That life Presidency ambition will not work!

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Butterflyle0: 7:37am On Aug 14, 2018
krendo:
Election is 6 months away and Buhari is holding back signature cos of election sequence?

Buhari is a failure I tell you

If he does not want to sign the bill and does not want to hold elections then that’s ok

One thing I know is one way or the other Buhari will go. That life Presidency ambition will not work!

Why would the senate bother about election sequence now? Is that something very important?

It has worked well before so why ammend it?

Its obvious the senate leadership has something up their sleaves and want to come first so they can still wield some power to influence the outcome of the other elections.

Buhari is no pushover and I know he will never approve that bill.

So far we have seen their selfish behavorial patterns on display in the senate and this bill is another selfish agenda.

I support buhari for not approving it.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by bakila: 7:39am On Aug 14, 2018
Now after the massive beating of the weekend, they have recovered to continue their painful cry.

5 Likes

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Great2017: 7:43am On Aug 14, 2018
madridguy:
Can't you see that the elections sequence rearrangement will invalidate the need for the mischievious N242B request. What do you think? Yes, vote buying is another illegality that should be look at.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by id911(m): 7:44am On Aug 14, 2018
madridguy:

With people like you, this country is in serious trouble. You saw that the legislators removed everything the president wanted but he still refused assent to the bill. You read the article instead of blaming the president ,who refused to sign to legalize the card reader that brought him to power, you turnaround to blame people who are not in the wrong this time around. Why is this country like this?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by SolutionMee: 7:48am On Aug 14, 2018
Almaiga:
Baba is no Coward. Saraki can present his shady bill to Buhari for presidential assent over and over, Baba will not sign it until NA do the right thing.

Sai Baba!!!

Typing from one Northern village as usual

MTN, GLO and Airtel are very tolerant by giving peeps like you an internet access

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by HzRF(m): 8:05am On Aug 14, 2018
madridguy:

I tot u said the vegetable is popular and he will rule till 2023 why gnashing of the teeth

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Almaiga: 8:06am On Aug 14, 2018
SolutionMee:

Typing from one Northern village as usual

MTN, GLO and Airtel are very tolerant by giving peeps like you an internet access

Pained IPOB terrorist, carry your Big FLAT head commot for my front, make I see Road. grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by madridguy(m): 8:08am On Aug 14, 2018
You don't have a point.

HzRF:

I tot u said the vegetable is popular and he will rule till 2023 why gnashing of the teeth

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by HzRF(m): 8:14am On Aug 14, 2018
madridguy:
You don't have a point.

Really

Why is Buhari afraid of rearrangement of election is he not popular again?

U and your lots can keep deceiving urself around about u messiah "millions of votes already in the bag"

Y'all will be shell-shocked come 2019

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by 9jaArea: 8:16am On Aug 14, 2018
E pain this one die... grin

BeeBeeOoh:

We see this as not only disingenuous but hypocritical for a president who won election following introduction of card readers but has now turned around to reject it. What is he (Buhari) afraid of,” a ranking lawmaker said out of frustration Monday.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/08/14/again-buhari-declines-assent-to-electoral-act-amendment-bill/amp/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by Built2last: 8:26am On Aug 14, 2018
ngwanu
Re: Election Re-ordering: PMB Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill Again by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:26am On Aug 14, 2018
Anything for the upliftment of the nation sir.
We are behind you

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pantami Accuses Security Agencies Of Not Using NIN-SIM Policy To Track Criminals / Baraje Resigns As Chairman, Nigeria Railway Corporation - / Ondo Lawmaker, Nomiye, Slumps And Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.