Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,967 members, 7,825,023 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

See How Nigerian Government Policies Destroyed My Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / See How Nigerian Government Policies Destroyed My Career (352 Views)

How To Further My Career In Canada With Nigeria HND / Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! / Johnspeak Uwangue: How I Broke The Chain Of Stagnation In My Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See How Nigerian Government Policies Destroyed My Career by royalamour(m): 2:08pm On Aug 14, 2018
Here's a story of my rusty career.

1. I have always had passion to become an Environmental Consultant.

So after my first degree program in 2009,
I went ahead to do some major professional courses to solidify my pursuit.

2. I went into freelancing in some top Environmental Consulting firms in Abuja to gain some relevant and advanced experiences.
Most times without pay. All these times, I would do some web design, build mobile apps (sometimes), sell on Ali Baba, Teach at homes and all just to save towards starting my own consulting firm. Thanks to my family for supporting too. I was able to save up to 700,000 NGN.

3. Fast forward in 2016, I decided to register my own company, it cost me almost 60,000 NGN.

4. I paid for my office space 250,000 NGN. As a web designer, I designed my website and all.

5. 54,000 NGN went to professional bodies and association registration.

6. The killer blow was the income tax clearance. This I thought would at least be waived for new entrepreneurs, alas! I was so wrong.
Getting my license from the Nigerian Government was dependent on the provision of my tax certificate.

The FIRS people insisted that I pay a tax of over 100,000 NGN even when I told them that I wasn't really employed by one and that I just registered my business newly, they won't listen.

7. Haven paid the tax for an infant business, I couldn't continue as the cash flow I was hoping to get to pay for my license from the Government (NESREA, Ministry of Environment and AMAC) to enable me start my career didn't come.

8. I pressed on for grants and all. Non will listen or give attention to my applications.

In the end, one can never succeed in Nigeria as a starter because of the unfavourable start up environment and the nonchalant attitude of the government.

Perhaps, if one can get grants or support from families and friends.

Cc: Seun, Lalasticlala
Re: See How Nigerian Government Policies Destroyed My Career by Shelumiel: 2:33pm On Aug 14, 2018
Nigeria is a land that is cursed beyond what we are seeing
Re: See How Nigerian Government Policies Destroyed My Career by skilfulsagei(m): 3:10pm On Aug 14, 2018
It is a pity. The business environment is too harsh for starters.

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerian Government Policies Destroyed My Career by Tabba(m): 12:13am On Aug 15, 2018
To some extend, your assertions about Nigeria are right. The environment isn't favourable for startup at all. But don't you think all of these happened as a result of your negligence? If you carried out or make some enquiries about business registration and licensing in Nigeria, you won't have dived into it with that amount of money.

(1) (Reply)

How To Get A Job In The Oil And Gas Sector In Nigeria / A Very Serious Female Admin Wanted For A Blog / Tier 1 IT Office Support Officer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.