Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race (19091 Views)

Drone Shots Of Dino Melaye's Campaign In Kabba, Kogi West Senatorial District / APC Wins Lagos West Senatorial Seat / Okorocha Wins Imo West Senatorial Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Racoon(m): 7:37am On Aug 15, 2018
National Leader of All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, yesterday declared that the Lagos State chapter of the party will not give automatic ticket to any aspirant in the forthcoming 2019 elections.

Tnubu, who spoke at a stakeholders’ meeting of Lagos APC at the party’s secretariat on Acme Road, Ikeja, insisted that all aspirants, including Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, will go through direct primaries to be decided by members of the party rather than the delegate system, which provides opportunity for few to elect the party flag bearers.

The APC national leader implored the party to mobilise towards registering new members as well as collection of the Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) in the state, warning that any council chairman that has highest numbers of uncollected PVCs in the state will be removed.

He also urged all aspirants to work towards the party’s interest in the general elections, saying that any aspirant, who involves in violence or disrupts the party process during registration of new members, will be disqualified from taking part in the party’s primaries. His words: “We want to appeal to all our members to embrace the direct primary that has just being introduced and adopted by our party.

We are committed to our party. We see direct primary as Buhari’s anti-corruption and internal democracy revolution. We are going to embrace that to ensure that the party is brought back to its owners; that is the people and not a few. We have embraced democracy and for you to benefit from it, you have to be member of our party in the first place.”

Tinubu also warned the party’s aspirants not to borrow money to pursue their aspirations. “Don’t go and borrow money to pursue your aspirations. If you come to me because of primaries, I will attend to you. If you bring yam and cassava flour for me, I will collect it, but there is no assurance that I will support you.

“I only have one vote in my ward and my vote is not different from that of other leaders. There is nothing like you are going to meet Asiwaju; I am not going to endorse anybody. Everybody should go to the field to determine his or her popularity by votes.

We will do primaries and whoever wins will be the party’s candidate,” he said. Also speaking, Governor Ambode charged all APC members in the state to canvass and ensure registration of new members to increase the party’s membership.

He noted that if every member of the party can bring a minimum of 100 new members, thepartywillbeat a vantage position to return President Muhammadu Buhari to office in 2019. His words: “Direct primary is the beginning of the revolution about uplifting democracy in Nigeria.

People might not understand what is going on; we are giving power to the people and it is starting from APC. So, we want to collectively say a big thank you to Asiwaju Bola Tinubu for championing this revolution. “It is very simple. All we are saying is that, if we know that Lagos State is truly controlled by APC, we will champion a revolution that has never happened in this country.

That means members of our great party will now determine, who becomes the president of this country and by so doing we will be championing the cause that Lagos has the number to make things happen in the country.”

Meanwhile barring any last minute change of mind, former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, will withdraw from the race for Lagos West senatorial seat on the platform of the APC.

New Telegraph gathered from multiple sources within the party that Obanikoro, who recently declared his interest to run for the seat in 2019, has been told to withdraw from the race to pave way for the incumbent, Senator Solomon Adeola to return for a second term.

It was learnt that the appeal was made to him by APC leaders in the state, including Tinubu. “Obanikoro has been told to withdraw from the senatorial race to pave way for Senator Solomon Adeola to be re-elected.

Adeola was told to withdraw from his gubernatorial ambition in Ogun State and return to Lagos based on President Buhari’s advice to prevent any crisis between Tinubu and Governor Ibikunle Amosun. “So, with that agreement, Adeola is going to return to the Senate and that is why they told Obanikoro few days ago to withdraw from the senatorial race.

Obanikoro has a lot of respect for Tinubu and because of that he may not take part in the APC senatorial primary election,” one of the sources said. Another APC chieftain told New Telegraph that “Obanikoro is not going to run again.

He has been told to withdraw from the senatorial race and that is why he has reduced his campaign. You are not going to see him campaign publicly again because Tinubu has already told him to withdraw from the race. He was told point blank few days ago to withdraw from the race and I believe he is going to do so"

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/08/2019-no-automatic-ticket-for-ambode-others-tinubu/
Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Racoon(m): 7:40am On Aug 15, 2018
Seem Tinubu desperation to prevent Ambode from getting a second term is real.

4 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by gasparpisciotta: 7:44am On Aug 15, 2018
Easier said than done, why won't you allow Obanikoro contest the primaries if you want to walk the talk, politicians​ always talking from both sides of their mouth.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by abescom: 7:48am On Aug 15, 2018
Racoon:
Seem Tinubu desperation to prevent Ambode from getting a second term is real.
I don't think Tinubu wants to stop Ambode. The man is doing an okayish job in Lagos and I am sure Tinubu knows that.

However, it is good that Obanikoro is being ask not to contest. He contesting will be a big dent on Buhari and APC especially with the corruption cases on his neck.

9 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by frowland(m): 7:49am On Aug 15, 2018
Please Obanikoro is a pure Lagosian. Yayi is from Ogun state. Why dont he go contest for Ogun central or even governor and leave the seat for original Lagos born and brought up.

12 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by mattonnairaland: 7:50am On Aug 15, 2018
Obviously he's going to lose again

He can't beat Solomon Adeola on any ground

3 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by lilfreezy: 7:50am On Aug 15, 2018
LMAOO tinubu is saying NO to an automatic ticket for obanikoro but he's saying buhari deserves an automatic ticket grin

20 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Maxymilliano(m): 7:50am On Aug 15, 2018
So this is why the whole stretch of Acme and WEMPCO Road was on locked down yesterday ...

2 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by ShakaZullu(m): 7:50am On Aug 15, 2018
grin

those that betrayed Gej

respect to omokiri any time

6 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Nwatiti24(f): 7:51am On Aug 15, 2018
story. Another propaganda

1 Like

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 15, 2018
lol..Tinubu saying automatic tickets won't be given to someone. Abeg Naija matter don tire me.

3 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by link2ok22: 7:51am On Aug 15, 2018
wink
Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by kennypoju04: 7:52am On Aug 15, 2018
obanikoro self
Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by superior1: 7:52am On Aug 15, 2018
All People of Crime

3 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Lagosfinder(m): 7:53am On Aug 15, 2018
Lagos politics rules over all other states politics
Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by abescom: 7:53am On Aug 15, 2018
lilfreezy:
LMAOO tinubu is saying NO to an automatic ticket for obanikoro but he's saying buhari deserves an automatic ticket grin
That's the way it is, live with it.

1 Like

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by jazzypaul: 7:54am On Aug 15, 2018
lolz nigeria ways of politic is not appropriate

3 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Brains1990(m): 7:55am On Aug 15, 2018
In my next world, if God make me a Nigerian, I will surely revolt against him. The worst feeling is to wake up and still discovering that you are a Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 15, 2018
Good political calculations. If adeola insits on contesting for ogun state governor seat, it will cause crises which will split apc in ogun state and eventually affect general apc south west. They dont want to risk that. so let the ibikunle candidate contest, then adeola contest for second term. obanikoro should support his candidate too and that settles everything. I think the strategy will work for APC .
Waiting for PDP primaries and how the candidates emerge because there are lots of underground consultations going on. Some people are waiting for when the will provide their candidates, that how we will take them serious as a good opposition to this government. But i believe PDP will always be PDP, by the time the primaries are over, we will see how registered delegates will be lesser than total vote cast. Its in them. Just watch. And thats when the APC will do the final blow to get the aggrieved candidates especially the old ones that build the party back when disarray. PDP, POWER

4 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by weyreypey: 7:57am On Aug 15, 2018
Maxymilliano:
So this is why the whole stretch of Acme and WEMPCO Road was on locked down yesterday ...

go back to enugu

2 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Racoon(m): 7:57am On Aug 15, 2018
abescom:
I don't think Tinubu wants to stop Ambode. The man is doing an okayish job in Lagos and I am sure Tinubu knows that.

However, it is good that Obanikoro is being ask not to contest. He contesting will be a big dent on Buhari and APC especially with the corruption cases on his neck.
So why did the APC accepted him in the first place

2 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by BafanaBafana: 7:57am On Aug 15, 2018
Thanks to the leadership of our president Muhammadu Buhari. Politics in Nigeria is becoming honest and transparent.
God bless PMB
God bless Asiwaju
God bless Nigeria
Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Jokerman(m): 7:58am On Aug 15, 2018
Tinubu has ideas, I swear... If only Buhari never do mumu at first... grin.... Only people like Modath make one hate Tifnubu....

2 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by LordofNaija: 7:59am On Aug 15, 2018
Racoon:
National Leader of All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, yesterday declared that the Lagos State chapter of the party will not give automatic ticket to any aspirant in the forthcoming 2019 elections.

Tnubu, who spoke at a stakeholders’ meeting of Lagos APC at the party’s secretariat on Acme Road, Ikeja, insisted that all aspirants, including Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, will go through direct primaries to be decided by members of the party rather than the delegate system, which provides opportunity for few to elect the party flag bearers.

The APC national leader implored the party to mobilise towards registering new members as well as collection of the Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) in the state, warning that any council chairman that has highest numbers of uncollected PVCs in the state will be removed.

He also urged all aspirants to work towards the party’s interest in the general elections, saying that any aspirant, who involves in violence or disrupts the party process during registration of new members, will be disqualified from taking part in the party’s primaries. His words: “We want to appeal to all our members to embrace the direct primary that has just being introduced and adopted by our party.

We are committed to our party. We see direct primary as Buhari’s anti-corruption and internal democracy revolution. We are going to embrace that to ensure that the party is brought back to its owners; that is the people and not a few. We have embraced democracy and for you to benefit from it, you have to be member of our party in the first place.”

Tinubu also warned the party’s aspirants not to borrow money to pursue their aspirations. “Don’t go and borrow money to pursue your aspirations. If you come to me because of primaries, I will attend to you. If you bring yam and cassava flour for me, I will collect it, but there is no assurance that I will support you.

“I only have one vote in my ward and my vote is not different from that of other leaders. There is nothing like you are going to meet Asiwaju; I am not going to endorse anybody. Everybody should go to the field to determine his or her popularity by votes.

We will do primaries and whoever wins will be the party’s candidate,” he said. Also speaking, Governor Ambode charged all APC members in the state to canvass and ensure registration of new members to increase the party’s membership.

He noted that if every member of the party can bring a minimum of 100 new members, thepartywillbeat a vantage position to return President Muhammadu Buhari to office in 2019. His words: “Direct primary is the beginning of the revolution about uplifting democracy in Nigeria.

People might not understand what is going on; we are giving power to the people and it is starting from APC
. So, we want to collectively say a big thank you to Asiwaju Bola Tinubu for championing this revolution. “It is very simple. All we are saying is that, if we know that Lagos State is truly controlled by APC, we will champion a revolution that has never happened in this country.

That means members of our great party will now determine, who becomes the president of this country and by so doing we will be championing the cause that Lagos has the number to make things happen in the country.”

Meanwhile barring any last minute change of mind, former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, will withdraw from the race for Lagos West senatorial seat on the platform of the APC.

New Telegraph gathered from multiple sources within the party that Obanikoro, who recently declared his interest to run for the seat in 2019, has been told to withdraw from the race to pave way for the incumbent, Senator Solomon Adeola to return for a second term.

It was learnt that the appeal was made to him by APC leaders in the state, including Tinubu. “Obanikoro has been told to withdraw from the senatorial race to pave way for Senator Solomon Adeola to be re-elected.

Adeola was told to withdraw from his gubernatorial ambition in Ogun State and return to Lagos based on President Buhari’s advice to prevent any crisis between Tinubu and Governor Ibikunle Amosun. “So, with that agreement, Adeola is going to return to the Senate and that is why they told Obanikoro few days ago to withdraw from the senatorial race.

Obanikoro has a lot of respect for Tinubu and because of that he may not take part in the APC senatorial primary election,” one of the sources said. Another APC chieftain told New Telegraph that “Obanikoro is not going to run again.

He has been told to withdraw from the senatorial race and that is why he has reduced his campaign. You are not going to see him campaign publicly again because Tinubu has already told him to withdraw from the race. He was told point blank few days ago to withdraw from the race and I believe he is going to do so"

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/08/2019-no-automatic-ticket-for-ambode-others-tinubu/
Na lie PDP: power to the people
Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by kolafolabi(m): 8:00am On Aug 15, 2018
Did he forget something at the Senate? Yeye politician

1 Like

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by RexTramadol1: 8:00am On Aug 15, 2018
abescom:

There is a difference between returning loot and hanging case on one's neck

Hope I satisfied ur curiosity?[b][/b]
Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Johnnyessence(m): 8:00am On Aug 15, 2018
Obanikoro has been used and dump

2 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by Pavore9: 8:02am On Aug 15, 2018
Tinubu also warned the party’s aspirants not to borrow money to pursue their aspirations. “Don’t go and borrow money to pursue your aspirations. If you come to me because of primaries, I will attend to you. If you bring yam and cassava flour for me, I will collect it, but there is no assurance that I will support you..... cheesy cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Advised To Withdraw From Lagos West Senatorial Seat Race by abescom: 8:07am On Aug 15, 2018
RexTramadol1:

There is a difference between returning loot and hanging case on one's neck

Hope I satisfied ur curiosity?[b][/b]
I thought of this when typing that but had to consider some of the small minded people we have here. Obanikoro returned the loot and wasn't probed for actual stealing but been in charge of proceeds of fraud.

(1) (2) (Reply)

“What Has Saraki Done In Kwara Sef?” / FG Awaits $5.3 Billion Chinese Loan For Ibadan-kano Rail Line / Rivers APC Adopts Tonye Cole As 2023 Consensus Guber Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.