Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,073 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. (7996 Views)

This Is The Biggest Cat Fish I've Ever Seen / Organically Raised Foreign Turkey Project / Foreign Turkey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2018
Hi guys ,
I have being wondering if a local or hybrid turkey is alot different from a pure foreing Turkey.(male Turkeys)

Someone should kindly enlighten me on the differences please.
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by Acjohn(m): 9:56pm On Aug 15, 2018
The difference is clear

Some male may reach 19 kg carcass weight unlike the local ones
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by okwabayi(m): 1:40am On Aug 16, 2018
It was sad when I bought foreign ones. By the seventh month they all got so big that their legs crushed under their weight. I put down the last one amidst tears three weeks ago. I assumed I could keep them past a year to hit unbelievable weights but I was wrong.

My local ones have grown past a year and four months now, surviving diseases, the rainy season and mating like idiots but the problem is they only weigh about one or two kilograms heavier than agric fowls [~seven kilograms on average]. The females are minus one because they're smaller and lighter than foreign chickens.

This turkey farming thing is not it at all. Everybody claims they eat only chicken to avoid paying double the recommended amount for one tom.
Na me and my family don chop our birds since -- every potential buyer acts blind to my harvests.

2 Likes

Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by eddyline(m): 2:33am On Aug 16, 2018
okwabayi:
It was sad when I bought foreign ones. By the seventh month they all got so big that their legs crushed under their weight. I put down the last one amidst tears three weeks ago. I assumed I could keep them past a year to hit unbelievable weights but I was wrong.

My local ones have grown past a year and four months now, surviving diseases, the rainy season and mating like idiots but the problem is they only weigh about one or two kilograms heavier than agric fowls [~seven kilograms on average]. The females are minus one because they're smaller and lighter than foreign chickens.

This turkey farming thing is not it at all. Everybody claims they eat only chicken to avoid paying double the recommended amount for one tom.
Na me and my family don chop our birds since -- every potential buyer acts blind to my harvests.
say, please what did you feed them on? if you have any pics of the foreign one, kindly post.
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by okwabayi(m): 3:46pm On Aug 16, 2018
eddyline:

say, please what did you feed them on? if you have any pics of the foreign one, kindly post.
I gave them regular broiler starter feed for the first five months of their lives then switched to PKC and adult broiler feed later on. I raised them alongside broilers but had to move them from the enclosure when the foreign ones crushed a few chickens to death.

Reading up on the internet I learned turkeys need a higher protein count in their feed compared to chickens however when I read their specialized feed causes kidney problems in broilers I changed my mind and fed them both the same thing -- I figured it was economically logical to lose a few turkeys which no one will buy compared to a lot of chickens I already had customers booked for.
The good thing about raising them is compared to broilers which eat like their destinies are tied to food turkeys don't eat that much. The same amount of feed which'll last broilers three weeks will sustain turkeys for ~two months.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of my foreign turkeys. I processed them all a long time ago.

1 Like

Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by wengerman: 5:04pm On Aug 16, 2018
okwabayi:

you should have added more calcium like eggshell,limestone or oyster shell to there feed
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by okwabayi(m): 7:39pm On Aug 16, 2018
wengerman:
you should have added more calcium like eggshell,limestone or oyster shell to there feed
Chickens and turkeys sweep out feed laced with ground egg shells. I don't know, maybe they think it's sand in the food. I've tried mixing it in different ways to the same result. I don't think calcium makes a difference. It works in the case of chickens but these turkeys weren't bred to last long. They get really huge. One should aim only to raise them for food.
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 8:38pm On Aug 16, 2018
Acjohn:
The difference is clear

Some male may reach 19 kg carcass weight unlike the local ones

Woooow

Wooooooooooo

Wow..

Dis is what I have bin looking for
Wow
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 8:40pm On Aug 16, 2018
okwabayi:

I am definitely greatul

Ur post was insightful

Thanks

I know you didn't seem to sound very positive about raising Dem, but trust me you just sparked. A seeeeeeruous plug in my head
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by eddyline(m): 2:57am On Aug 17, 2018
okwabayi:

I gave them regular broiler starter feed for the first five months of their lives then switched to PKC and adult broiler feed later on. I raised them alongside broilers but had to move them from the enclosure when the foreign ones crushed a few chickens to death.
The good thing about raising them is compared to broilers which eat like their destinies are tied to food turkeys don't eat that much. The same amount of feed which'll last broilers three weeks will sustain turkeys for ~two months.

from your submission hear, it implies that though they may not be a commercial success, one may consider them for personal consumption. am so going to get some for my self. thanks bro.
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by Rex123(m): 2:40pm On Aug 17, 2018
eddyline:

from your submission hear, it implies that though they may not be a commercial success, one may consider them for personal consumption. am so going to get some for my self. thanks bro.

Actually it all depends in locality. You can bred then for commercial sales but you shouldn't follow the feeding pattern the op followed. Turkeys don't need boilers feed . they can be fed on grower mash without any problem and develop properly .

1 Like

Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by adecz: 2:51pm On Aug 17, 2018
How long do the foreign turkeys
take to reach up to12 to 15kg range, from day old?
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by jammal: 4:56pm On Aug 17, 2018
I have a 13 weeks old foreign turkey that is already 8.5kg
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 11:23pm On Aug 17, 2018
[quote author=jammal post=70366955]I have a 13 weeks old foreign turkey that is already 8.5kg[/quote

Please can I see l
Pictures
I am about buying 20pieces of foreign poults and I want to really know if it's worth it...and the size difference is really true
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by jammal: 8:59am On Aug 18, 2018
As at today she's already weighing 9kg
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by jammal: 9:03am On Aug 18, 2018
Pls ignore, dis post is misleading
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 11:59pm On Aug 20, 2018
jammal:
Pls ignore, dis post is misleading

Pls can u send a pics here of ur foreign turkey
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by Salimmuhammad(m): 1:18pm On Sep 01, 2018
7months old local turkey for sale 10kg + location Kaduna.....contact me if interested (male and female) 08097021409
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 5:50pm On Oct 23, 2018
jammal:
I have a 13 weeks old foreign turkey that is already 8.5kg
Hi please can we talk on WhatsApp ,+2348129221411
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by jammal: 11:09pm On Oct 23, 2018
Sorry Stan, just stumbled on ur message now
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by lagosrd: 8:38am On Oct 24, 2018
I did a lot of foreign turkey last year over 50 but I ended up eating majority and giving them out. They can grow so embarrassingly that they consume till they drop dead. I even took two out to sell and lost sold them out for #28,000/each only for the guy to come back from ATM and those guys just slumped and died.
Although I sold some but the mortality is something else.

Never too worry, I am currently with hybrid ones. As I still made my money with those foreign guys.

My advice is that:
1. if you don't have a target market don't raise them.
2. If you get to around 4 months increase their bone mill and calcium intake so they don't crush under theIr weight
3. At 6 months irrespective of your expectations sell them out.
4. Make sure you understand time and season. When you take them and calculate 6 months so that it falls within turkey eating festive periods like Xmas and Easter periods.
5. Your sales location matters. Selling foreign turkey in iyana ipaja or alagbole will not give you what you want like lekki, ajah moat estate gates and high brow areas.

For More info reply me on this thread.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 8:03am On Nov 24, 2018
lagosrd:
I did a lot of foreign turkey last year over 50 but I ended up eating majority and giving them out. They can grow so embarrassingly that they consume till they drop dead. I even took two out to sell and lost sold them out for #28,000/each only for the guy to come back from ATM and those guys just slumped and died.

Never too worry, I am currently with hybrid ones. As I still made my money with those foreign guys.

My advice is that:
2. If you get to around 4 months increase their bone mill and calcium intake so they don't crush under theIr weight
4. Make sure you understand time and season. When you take them and calculate 6 months so that it falls within turkey eating festive periods like Xmas and Easter periods.
5. Your sales location matters. Selling foreign turkey in iyana ipaja or alagbole will not give you what you want like lekki, ajah moat estate gates and high brow areas.

Good morning....
Nice read.....
Tho I have plunged into this already.......what was the maximum size dey attained in kg?? Do you have female hybrids and is the size comparable to the foreign turkeys?
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 8:29am On Nov 24, 2018
[quote author=lagosrd post=72363769]I did a lot of foreign turkey last year over 50 but I ended up eating majority and giving them out. They can grow so embarrassingly that they consume till they drop dead. I even took two out to sell and lost sold them out for #28,000/each only for the guy to come back from ATM and those guys just slumped and died.

My advice is that:

Sir please where did u order from? I ordered from a seller in Ibadan..but I am thinking of ordering from Afrimash directly now.
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by lagosrd: 8:17pm On Nov 24, 2018
[quote author=stanvesco post=73254425][/quote]

You can go ahead just make sure they are hybrid or foreign ones. Don't be deceived that they are all white ones. They could somehow have local amongst them. I don't know how they come by it.
Do your reserch well. There is a time of the week they produce or let me say hatch either ones you want. Make sure you get assurance . Good luck
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by lagosrd: 8:21pm On Nov 24, 2018
stanvesco:

Good morning....
Nice read.....
Tho I have plunged into this already.......what was the maximum size dey attained in kg?? Do you have female hybrids and is the size comparable to the foreign turkeys?

Yes I Don have like 20 female hybrids. However their size cannot be compared to the foreign in anyway. The female foreign size in terms of kg can be as heavy as the male local or hybrid.
Lastly friend, in terms of weight they attained, I mean foreign, the males did between 15kg-20kg while the females did between 10kg-15kg.
Hope that works
Re: Who Have Ever Seen A Matured Foreign Turkey. by stanvesco(m): 5:26pm On Nov 26, 2018
lagosrd:

Yes I Don have like 20 female hybrids. However their size cannot be compared to the foreign in anyway. The female foreign size in terms of kg can be as heavy as the male local or hybrid.
Lastly friend, in terms of weight they attained, I mean foreign, the males did between 15kg-20kg while the females did between 10kg-15kg.
Hope that works

This is encouraging.
Do you by chance still have the contact you bought from??
And did the hens lay at any point sir.....

I have locals currently.....
I have forin poults....
I am interested in laying my hands on matured foring females and possibly males ; very much interested in seeing the outcome of crossbreeding...or

The outcome of a cross(via artificial insemination) between a forin male n a forin female!!!!

I do wish I can start the cross right away..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pls How Much Is A Basket Of Tomato In Your Area Or State? Lets Interact / Which Specie Of Broiler Is The Best? / Eight (8) Varieties Of Nigerian Mangoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.