Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,730 members, 7,955,768 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:40 PM

Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback (3193 Views)

Poll: Kanu should pursue:

Coaching: 76% (26 votes)
Administration: 23% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

A List Of Great Players Who Failed As Coaches / Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots / When Will Our Local Coaches Ever Get It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by aje49ja(m): 7:52pm On Jun 23, 2010
Lagerbeer Advice African Teams To Look For Local Coaches

Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback has advised African countries to look the way of indigenous coaches and trust in continuity if they hope to do well at major tournaments.

All but one of Africa's six representatives at the 2010 World Cup are coached by foreigners, with Algeria the only exception. And with three already eliminated, Lagerback suggested that Africans may need to look inwards in the future and give the coaches more time.

"What is the problem for Africa in general? The only thing I can see, and I am not sure if I am right is that maybe they need a little bit more continuity.

"I have talked to Kanu a little bit about that and maybe the players that have been around and played for a long time, I hope that they could come back into the African countries and work as coaches and help to influence the development of football in their countries.

"[b]I think a person like Kanu could be perfect for that kind of position if he wants to go into coaching himsel[/b]f."

Kanu agreed, but said he was looking more at going into football administration.

"When it comes to reading the game, I don't think there is anybody who can read the game better than I can. But when things are going wrong, it is always from the top, and that is where we have to start from if we want to make a difference.

"Right now, I don’t know if I want to go into coaching, but it is something I have to go back and think about."

http://www.kickoff.com/news/16334/africans-must-look-to-local-coaches.php
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by Acidosis(m): 9:06pm On Jun 23, 2010
After e chop our 300million finish
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by semid4lyfe(m): 9:48pm On Jun 23, 2010
Acidosis:

After e chop our 300million finish
You dey mind the F.0.0.L. We don't need his advice. . .what we need is his RESIGNATION
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by Seun(m): 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2010
If Kanu has the talent for coaching, he should go into it. Administration is for administrators, not footballers.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by medjai(m): 10:09pm On Jun 23, 2010
Lagerback is funny
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by Princek12(m): 1:54am On Jun 24, 2010
Seun:

If Kanu has the talent for coaching, he should go into it. Administration is for administrators, not footballers.
what if you are no longer a footballer? Are you saying they can't be administrators. There you go with another rubbish Nigerian mentality.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by bawomolo(m): 1:59am On Jun 24, 2010
kanu wants his share of the nff loot
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by Brisingr(m): 5:04am On Jun 24, 2010
na god go punish u
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by honeric01(m): 6:47am On Jun 24, 2010
Where was this news gotten from?

Source?
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by semid4lyfe(m): 7:01am On Jun 24, 2010
honeric01:

Where was this news gotten from?

Source?
Kickoffnigeria.com
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by AjanleKoko: 7:43am On Jun 24, 2010
aje49ja:

"I have talked to Kanu a little bit about that and maybe the players that have been around and played for a long time, I hope that they could come back into the African countries and work as coaches and help to influence the development of football in their countries.

"I think a person like Kanu could be perfect for that kind of position if he wants to go into coaching himself."

Kanu agreed, but said he was looking more at going into football administration.

"When it comes to reading the game, I dont think there is anybody who can read the game better than I can. But when things are going wrong, it is always from the top, and that is where we have to start from if we want to make a difference.

"Right now, I don’t know if I want to go into coaching, but it is something I have to go back and think about."

Sense man. E wan hammer.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by mbulela: 7:45am On Jun 24, 2010
every idiot that can barely spell his name wants to go into football administration.
Kanu might not be in it for money as he has lots of it (although e no dey belle full Nigerians) but he is a very good reader of the game, a talent that is not easy to teach.I wish he would just shun the limelight and go do relevant badges in Europe and spend a year or two learning the ropes in mid sized european team as an assistant or even reserve team coach (he would have the opportunities) and return to take a position at home.
He could even start from the local league with one of its big clubs.
His undoubted knowledge of the game must not be wasted and he should try and do things the right way (not the Nigerian way).

On the issue of Lagerback, i have no comments.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by AjanleKoko: 7:49am On Jun 24, 2010
mbulela:

every that can barely spell his name wants to go into football administration.
Kanu might not be in it for money as he has lots of it (although e no dey belle full Nigerians) but he is a very good reader of the game, a talent that is not easy to teach.I wish he would just shun the limelight and go do relevant badges in Europe and spend a year or two learning the ropes in mid sized european team as an assistant or even reserve team coach (he would have the opportunities) and return to take a position at home.
He could even start from the local league with one of its big clubs.
His undoubted knowledge of the game must not be wasted and he should try and do things the right way (not the Nigerian way).

On the issue of Lagerback, i have no comments.

Abi o.
I have always wondered why none of our golden generation have been retained by any of their clubs to join the coaching staff.
The FC Barcelona community is made up of ex-players. Cryuff, Begiristain, Guardiola, Luis Enrique.
For our own boys, it's almost as if they are sent packing from these clubs.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by mbulela: 8:05am On Jun 24, 2010
it is an issue of mentality and passion.
most of the players you mentioned have a love for the game.
ours had a passion as kids but grew up to see it as a source of income.
So the whole plan is to make money in the game, investt hat money and retire to eat their bounty.
another point is that the coaching thing is not for the faint hearted.you need to love the game, eat it and sleep it for you to survive the career.
Apprenticeship does nopt guarantee success.yet loads of ex-players go that route.
ours want to go into managerial career with no apprenticeship.
i really wish Kanu will go into management, the right way.
If he ever planed for it and listened to the coaches he played under, he should have a chance.
He played under some excellent managers.
Men who may not have been the best but had sterling qualities that he should have learnt a lot from.
see the list; Van Gaal, Hodgson, Redknaap, Wenger, Luigi Simoni etc.
AjanleKoko:

Abi o.
I have always wondered why none of our golden generation have been retained by any of their clubs to join the coaching staff.
The FC Barcelona community is made up of ex-players. Cryuff, Begiristain, Guardiola, Luis Enrique.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by otokx(m): 9:51am On Jun 24, 2010
What more can I say?
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 24, 2010
When local coach qualify dem for competition, dem go sack am put foreigner wey go play Keita for wing, put Kanu for inside must win match.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by Princek12(m): 11:19am On Jun 24, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Abi o.

Have you ever thought that maybe they want to return home after a long sojourn in a foreign land to help develop local football, on the administrative front and on the field?
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by 28Schweet(f): 2:48pm On Jun 24, 2010
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by harakiri(m): 2:59pm On Jun 24, 2010
Even Lagerback acknowledges that we need to focus more on our local coaches.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by voiceofsa: 3:18pm On Jun 24, 2010
Yes we need coach from Nigeria but not Kanu instead Okocha or someoneelse.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by damilola15: 3:26pm On Jun 24, 2010
I could have said at least lager back has courage to say the truth, but when he knew this, why did he accept the job.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by mensdept: 3:45pm On Jun 24, 2010
It takes a European to tell us the cardinal truth---That is, stop wasting money on mediocre UEFA coaches,

Where are those "children" that were saying "We need to retain Lagerback", "Lagerback is better than, "

ShutUP!
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by misterh(m): 3:45pm On Jun 24, 2010
I do not blame the coach for not winning the matches. Is it the coach to position Yak's leg on a one-on-post situation? Moreover, he inherited these players from Amodu in a short period of time. So, don't blame him.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by marvix(m): 4:16pm On Jun 24, 2010
Lagerbac has spoken the truth, I am sure that he did not anticipate that a striker would miss scoring in an empty net and that a footballer would go fighting on the pitch, whichever way I look at it i see it that the man tried, its been a long time Nigeria lost a match and I would feel they tried like in the Argentina match and it has never been that these particular set of players have ever made beautiful chances with so much expectation their games have always been drab when Amodu was in charge. So if Lagerbac says we need continuity and a man like kanu is been recommended I am sure it is because with a kanu in charge of the eagles the likes of strikers who cannot score against an empty goalpost would not make it into the team at major tournaments.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by Jencejyde(m): 4:41pm On Jun 24, 2010
mbulela:

it is an issue of mentality and passion.
most of the players you mentioned have a love for the game.
ours had a passion as kids but grew up to see it as a source of income.
So the whole plan is to make money in the game, investt hat money and retire to eat their bounty.
another point is that the coaching thing is not for the faint hearted.you need to love the game, eat it and sleep it for you to survive the career.
Apprenticeship does nopt guarantee success.yet loads of ex-players go that route.
ours want to go into managerial career with no apprenticeship.
i really wish Kanu will go into management, the right way.
If he ever planed for it and listened to the coaches he played under, he should have a chance.
He played under some excellent managers.
Men who may not have been the best but had sterling qualities that he should have learnt a lot from.
see the list; Van Gaal, Hodgson, Redknaap, Wenger, Luigi Simoni etc.
Right on point! Did you or do you play the game? Great comment especially the "Apprenticeship does not guarantee success" and "you need to love the game, eat it and sleep it for you to survive the career" part, well said, finally someone understands what the game deeply means to some of us.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by fizzybaba(m): 4:51pm On Jun 24, 2010
If this is true, Lageryak is Just plain Daft.

The timing is so wrong! He is tactically telling us that we were foolish to appoint him as our coach in the first place. So insulting and annoying.

If he cannot apologise for his team poor performance, he had berra shut up.
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by Onlytruth(m): 5:22pm On Jun 24, 2010
Another terrible journalism! shocked

Where did Lagerback say anything about LOCAL COACHES being the best?
He only called for former players who played at the very top in Europe (like Kanu) to take over and be given long term space to deliver, not our usual fire brigade, and certainly not local quacks like Amodu!

The Nigerian junk journalist changed it to support for local coaches.

Who was the best coach to ever handle the super eagles during which time their name changed from Green Eagles to Super Eagles? Answer: Clemens Westerhoff.

Who was the coach that led Green Eagles to their first African Nations Cup title in Lagos? Answer, another whiteman called Father Tito (or was it Otto Gloria undecided).

How many titles at the senior levels have the Super Eagles won under a local coach? NONE!

Food for thought.

Lagerback only advised that we plan long term with a coach who has played at the highest level. Is the highest level local? NO!
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by sley4life(m): 5:24pm On Jun 24, 2010
All but rubbish. Let SiaSia handle the National team for at least a decade
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by 9jafreak: 5:53pm On Jun 24, 2010
[size=13pt]Thanks Lars

Now, can we do the right thing and give SIASIA a 4-YEAR CONTRACT!

@ Amodu fans--- Please he already has a job with the B-Team

Please get a life!
[/size]
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by OAM4J: 5:59pm On Jun 24, 2010
fizzybaba:

If this is true, Lageryak is Just plain Daft.

The timing is so wrong! He is tactically telling us that we were foolish to appoint him as our coach in the first place. So insulting and annoying.

If he cannot apologise for his team poor performance, he had berra shut up.

Exactly!
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by tonitone1(m): 6:00pm On Jun 24, 2010
ME THINK OUR NEXT COACH SHOULD BE YAKUBU ASSISTED BY KAITA grin

KANU IS TOO SOFT embarassed
Re: Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback by sabygrace: 6:33pm On Jun 24, 2010
ME THINK OUR NEXT COACH SHOULD BE YAKUBU ASSISTED BY KAITA

KANU IS TOO SOFT

Cant stop laughing

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cute Photos Of Football Stars When They Were Young / Super Eagles Rejected Our S*x Offer Says Association Of Nigerian Prostitutes / Dirtiest Footballers Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.