Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo (3174 Views)

Man Cries Out After Rushing An unknown hit-and-run victim to hospital (Photos) / Hit-And-Run Driver Kills OOU Final Year Student On Xmas Day (Graphic) / "Uber Drivers Now SARS Informants" - Man Says After Being Battered By One (Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Explorers(m): 3:56am On Aug 18, 2018
Trooper Johnna Batiste tweeted out a picture of a car part from a vehicle that killed an unidentified cyclist, asking the public for any information on the collision.

The tweet found its way to the sub-Reddit category (WhatIsThisThing), a thread where users have identified some pretty obscure objects just from a single photo.

It didn’t take long for the internet to do its thing. Reddit user and former Maryland state inspector, JeffsNuts, identified the headlamp as a bezel from a 1988 Chevrolet Silverado truck.

https://www.boredpanda.com/internet-user-helps-police-identify-hit-and-run-jeffsnuts/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C5869069592
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Explorers(m): 3:56am On Aug 18, 2018
The tweet ended up on the sub-Reddit thread ‘What is this thing’ and one user quickly responded.

1 Share

Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Explorers(m): 3:56am On Aug 18, 2018
As a headlamp bezel from a 1988 Chevrolet Silverado truck.

Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Explorers(m): 3:59am On Aug 18, 2018
People were amazed at the story and power of social media.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by YOUNGELDER1(m): 4:10am On Aug 18, 2018
Wow
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Imustreturn(m): 4:14am On Aug 18, 2018
Internet is power
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Evidence1000(m): 4:16am On Aug 18, 2018
The world is evolving everyday. Technology has brought more harm than good.
But I'm still doubting if this can happen in Nigeria. cool cool cool
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by iHart(m): 4:37am On Aug 18, 2018
wow,
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by yanabasee(m): 5:10am On Aug 18, 2018
Internet has help many people...

Internet can break up your relationship/marriage

Internet can turn a nobody into a slay queen/king

Internet can make you rich and poor.

Internet is bae!!!

2 Likes

Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by SeedofDavid: 5:11am On Aug 18, 2018
nice one
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by stefanweeks: 5:19am On Aug 18, 2018
That is a system that works

Not obtainable in a Police force that has "yomi shongule" and "IGP Idris" serving (bossing) it.
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by dingbang(m): 6:06am On Aug 18, 2018
I can never underestimate the power of social media because I am a benefactor of its awesomeness. These days I don't even lift a finger to do certain things because I know that the social media can do and undo.

meanwhile, Esteemed Firstbank customers please click the link on my signature for steps to register on the first mobile app to access wonderful transactions on it. Thanks.
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by falcon01: 6:23am On Aug 18, 2018
In the history of working, this has never worked in Nigeria
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Temptee101(m): 7:14am On Aug 18, 2018
wink

Not surprised, this is definitely a sane society where;

The people are united not separated by tribe, ethnicity, religion or political affliction

The "police is really your friend"

Society that values the lives of her citizenry

Society that recognises the importance of the Internet in this 21st century

Society where the social media is not under attack

Society where western education is not seen as evil by a group of people in a particular region

Society where there is equity, justice and fairness

Society where the leaders have their country at heart

Society where a large number of it's citizens are literate
..and so on

Can same be said of a certain country usually referred to as a mere geographical expression location somewhere in west Africa?

The answer is NO
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by KingLennon(m): 9:47am On Aug 18, 2018
Evidence1000:
The world is evolving everyday. Technology has brought more harm than good.
But I'm still doubting if this can happen in Nigeria. cool cool cool
Future Impossible tense grin
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by ProfGday(m): 10:01am On Aug 18, 2018
To all these slay queens and kings...You all may forget but internet will never forget all your nude pics you exchanged for money and material things..

What goes around comes around...that's how internet works.
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Qaisar1: 10:55am On Aug 18, 2018
Interestingly, the police man has tattoos.

In Nigeria;

1. Aboki for don pick the plastic put for truck
2. Accident nor too concern police
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by addictiv(m): 1:40pm On Aug 18, 2018
Wisdom of the crowd. If you know, you know
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Naijawebmaster: 1:53pm On Aug 18, 2018
Social Media is very Powerful! Use it to your advantage.

1 Like

Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Mankosi: 3:08pm On Aug 18, 2018
Nigeria policeman will see that piece of car headlamp, pick it up and throw it to the nearby bush. They are very dump and doesn't have sense.
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by loverboys: 4:06pm On Aug 18, 2018
cool
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by okwabayi(m): 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2018
Have we finished comparing a working system to our dead land?

Ok let me start with a useful contribution:
There is nothing new here. People are always willing to help with time, knowledge and CPU processing power. This forum can do the same if managed well.
The only problem with humans providing random contributions is the creation of waste, trolls who playfully post wrong information to feel a modicum sense of power.
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Fierce11: 11:56pm On Aug 18, 2018
Just see reddit's 'whatIsThis' section.. If toh say nairaland get am, topics wey go full am no go pass sexual things.. You go see topics like:
"Tekno claims to have big cassava, but whatIsThis na?"
"look at what i found when i wanted to fv*k my gf.. (s3x pics +18).. click to s3e what it is"..
NL tire me sha.. 555

2 Likes

Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Fierce11: 11:59pm On Aug 18, 2018
Mankosi:
Nigeria policeman will see that piece of car headlamp, pick it up and throw it to the nearby bush. They are very dump and doesn't have sense.
I swear sir..
but you and nigeria police.. who come 'dump' pass na? biko modify.. its 'dumb' and not 'dump'
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Oneboypikin: 3:13am On Aug 19, 2018
Power of Internet
Re: How The Internet Solved A Fatal Hit-And-Run Case With The Help Of Just One Photo by Mankosi: 6:51am On Aug 19, 2018
Fierce11:

I swear sir..
but you and nigeria police.. who come 'dump' pass na? biko modify.. its 'dumb' and not 'dump'
mistake.

(1) (Reply)

Public Attack "human Eaters" In Lagos [photo Inside] / Suspected Cultist Kill Cyclist, Cut Off Tongue In Ikorodu / Woman Bathes Her Husband With Acid In Edo State (graphic Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.