Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:08 PM

The Aunt Queen And Other Stories - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Aunt Queen And Other Stories (1138 Views)

BETTY & OTHER STORIES / Storytime:I Walked Into My Aunt's Daughter Room Without Knocking, See What I Saw / DAZED And Other Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Aunt Queen And Other Stories by sosa993: 8:54pm On Aug 20, 2018
My mother always warned me against whistling at night.

"I pray you don't attract evil with that your smelling mouth," she said one night as she broke melon seeds for dinner.

I've never believed in myths, but I found her tales funny.

"Why mother?"

"I've told you times without number," she pushed the white, plastic chair she sat on and stood up to adjust her red, ankara wrapper. "You might attract mysterious creatures. Seeing these creatures might drive anyone mad."

I wanted to scoff and say you're talking to a fifteen year old o, but I decided against it.

"What kind of creatures?" I asked.

"Not this night, Bimpe," she said as she lifted the tray of melon seeds off the stool. "Join me in the kitchen. Let's wash the plates together."

That night, after washing the plates, I retired to my room. It didn't take up to twenty minutes when something strange occurred.

At first, it was a tickle until a needle like object burned into my flesh. I sat up with a lightening speed and rubbed the burning which swelled over my elbow.

Stumbling out of bed, I switched on the light to catch the stupid insect that bit me, only for me to find thousands of currant red ants surrounding my bed and down on the floor.

"Ijalo!" I shrieked. "Fire ant!"

I expected my parents and twin younger siblings - Taiye and Kehinde - to barrel into my room but non of that happened.

What kind of yeye sleep are they sleeping na!

I  whimpered. Deciding to try my luck and escape through the door, and that's when something magical happened. The ants parted into halves as my legs touched the ground until I walked towards the door.

I resisted the sudden urge to scream again. Instead, my mouth stretched open as wonders unfolded before me. Soon a buzz enveloped the room like voices from a thousand people.

"You didn't have to bite her!"

My face crumbled into dismay. Where did that come from?

"Don't shout," as the tiny voice echoed in my room, the ants parted like they did for me and gave passage to an exceptionally red ant. It was scarlet red.

The colour wasn't my problem; my head felt light and it became difficult for me to breath.

I must be running mad.

"We've come to get our queen," the voice continued. "You."

Ants can speak? I can hear them!

My eyes blurred, but not from tears.

"We thought you abandoned us," this tiny ant won't relent and if it wasn't for the thousands that surrounded me, I would've smashed it to the ground.

"We traced your songs; the whistling."

My mother was right. Whistling attracted creatures; ones that wanted me as an ant queen.

I must be running mad.

Everything became fuzzy and before my body could make contact with the ground, I jolted up with a start.

"It's a dream," I whispered and glanced at the window.

The cloud was still a dark, indigo colour as sounds of crickets echoed in the night. Sighing, I resumed my sleeping position, but before I could lay my head on the pillow, a sharp burning pain pierced my elbow. Right there, I knew my dream was real.

I wrote these two stories which are quite similar. Please let me know which one you love most. Like and keep liking.

A house of tiny People and other short stories...

Waking up was no longer the pleasure it used to be for Ayomide.

There's a fleeting moment when she's whole again but it evaporates faster than shear butter melting from the impact of a sun.

Then her lids that drooped with sleep would snap violently open from the piercing cry of a baby. It has been the same, every night for the past one week.

There were times she wondered if the baby was next to her on the bed, but no baby was near. After all, she has been childless for over ten years and it led to her husband leaving her.

So why the hell does she keeps hearing a baby's cries. Is someone trying to taunt her?

Sighing and blinking a few times to get her eyes adjusted to the darkness around her, Ayomide, searched for her phone on the bed.

When she found it, she clicked the power button to check the time, which read 2am; the exact time this baby disturbs her sleep.

She would not close her eyes and force herself to sleep. No, not today, not this night. She would trace where the crying came from and tackle the woman who kept abandoning this child to cry and disturb her peace.

"I'll give her a piece of my mind," she muttered.

But your neighbour doesn't have a baby.

A small voice whispered in her head but she ignored. Pushing from the bouncy bed, she found her slippers, made her way out of the room and out of her apartment.

The cold night air was the first thing that welcomed her as it seeped through her black and white polka dot sleep shirt.

For a second, she wished she wore a sweater before stepping out, but it didn't matter.

Wrapping her arms around herself, she stepped out her compound through the iron gates and glanced down the eerily quiet street.

Of course, not a single soul lurked around the neighbourhood. The street was dead silent except for the baby's cries and the soft buzzing from the flickering street lamps which cast a soft glow on the wet asphalt ground.

Why don't you just go back inside?

Shut up! She told the voice in her head as she tried her best to track the side of the street where the crying came from, and as if the baby knew someone who cared enough was coming to talk some senses into its mother, another sharp cry startled me.

"That's it!" she grunted.

Clenching her small fists, Ayomide looked at the large, beige painted house and caught the sight of a shadow in the window above.

For about five years, the house has been empty with no one living there.

How come someone stood behind the curtains? Was her eyes playing tricks on her?

No! It must be the woman with the crying baby. She concluded.

She crossed to the other side of the street where the crying came from and followed it.

For a few seconds, she felt she was in control, but as she walked towards the house, she noticed the house became farther and her head became lighter.

It doesn't matter, she told herself even though somewhere in her heart, she knew something was wrong.

After what felt like eternity, she stopped right at the front of the large house, heaved an angry sigh and walked through the already opened gate.

Only when she entered the house, she found the whole place filled up with people who weren't like her.

Ayomide glanced backwards towards her house, but all she saw were large trees crashing and lashing like drum sticks in the hands of a giant. Her house was gone! Through a sickening swirl of fear, a shiver ran over her skin. Where was she?

Swallowing hard, Ayomide returned her gaze to the millions of people swarming towards her.

From the rouge pink patches on their brown skin, to the abnormal way their eyes were placed at the sides of their head, she could tell they weren't just humans.

What kind humans carried a mat, a dull lit lantern and cried like babies?

She never believed in these superstitious stories. In fact, she brushed such stories aside. Now, it seemed too crazy to be real.

Her head started to swirl in a daze as she tried to run from these tiny monsters, but they were too close.

As if something controlled them, their eyes lit up in crimson red as they started towards her.

Ayomide's mind raced with the stories they told about Egbere - a bush baby. It was believed they weren't violent creatures but the anger in their burning eyes said otherwise.

She kicked at them as they surrounded her while crying.  Her head spun around as if they were too heavy for her body and with one long sigh, she slumped to the ground.

Till this day, Ayomide was never found and the house tiny people vanished from White gate Avenue.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Aunt Queen And Other Stories by Fazemood(m): 5:33pm On Oct 22, 2018
The second is quite scary, while the first is more a fantasy than mythical.
Re: The Aunt Queen And Other Stories by sosa993: 3:11pm On Oct 23, 2018
Fazemood:
The second is quite scary, while the first is more a fantasy than mythical.

Hmm. Thank you. I was thinking of making the first one into an actual story for kids but I can't for now since I'm working on the book two of my ongoing story.
Re: The Aunt Queen And Other Stories by Fazemood(m): 4:18pm On Oct 23, 2018
sosa993:

Hmm. Thank you. I was thinking of making the first one into an actual story for kids but I can't for now since I'm working on the book two of my ongoing story.

Yeah you should, Kids are going to love it. Cuz me 8 year old niece did like it, but returned my phone when she couldn't finish the 2nd story. Said it would give her nightmares cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Aunt Queen And Other Stories by 3phase(m): 4:29pm On Oct 23, 2018
Well as i would lyk 2 av both,i will go 4 d first 1
Re: The Aunt Queen And Other Stories by sosa993: 11:00pm On Oct 23, 2018
wink
3phase:
Well as i would lyk 2 av both,i will go 4 d first 1

smiley wink cheesy
Re: The Aunt Queen And Other Stories by Bluehaven(m): 3:42pm On Dec 23, 2018
Where are the other stories o?!

(1) (Reply)

POISONED LOVE- Episode 10-12 / Trials Of A Mad Man / About My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.