Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,917 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive (44514 Views)

Assisat Oshoala And Osimhen Presents CAF Awards Trophies To Their Clubs / Ronaldo Sells His Hill-side Mansion To Pepe / C. Ronaldo Shows Off His Trophies, Lists His Achievements And Records In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by stane007: 2:09pm On Aug 21, 2018
Gul Hamid, a tennis star who now lives with his second wife in a remote village near Wah Cantt, now sells his trophies to survive. Gul Hamid's first wife and children live in Karachi, whom he has to feed too. 

The 68-year-old tennis star who has been playing tennis for the last 50 years won three International Tennis Federation cups, which include an ITF hat-trick from 2008 to 2010, the 1986 Oman Open and three gold medals from Pakistan Navy, where he served as a petty officer.
He told Geo TV; 

“I took my cups to sell to Arif Sahib, at Pakistan Sports Board, as I had no choice.”

“I prefer death over insults at the hands of a landlord who knocks at my door asking for rent, which I have been managing through thick and thin until now,” he says.

“It was really an amazing day of my life when I beat Krishna Bhopatti of India in the Oman Open in 1986. It was a big victory amidst an international crowd of fifteen thousand,” he adds.

According to the tennis star, Bhopatti, whose son Mahesh Bhopatti is currently an international tennis star even asked him to travel to India and train tennis players there.

“I thanked Bhopatti for the offer and told him I need to train our children in Pakistan,” he says.

“I am 68 now, and it’s probably the time for me and my wife to sit on Mussala (praying mat) and not running around for a living,” he adds.

Gul Hamid said he told Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa and Prime Minister Imran Khan, to fix a reasonable monthly stipend for him or give him at least some low-grade job like a groundsman. He also recounted his golden days through plastic coated newspaper clippings and commendations spread on a charpoyee. 

https://lailasnews.com/former-tennis-star-gul-hamid-sells-trophies-to-survive/

Lalasticlala

5 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by donbachi(m): 2:23pm On Aug 21, 2018
Eyah!

5 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by delugajackson: 2:35pm On Aug 21, 2018
Life changes every single second, so you gotta make the right decision.

10 years from now, your children will be either be eating or starving from the decisions you've made today. Make the right decision today.

340 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Oluwasaeon(m): 2:48pm On Aug 21, 2018
delugajackson:
grin
Your laugh sef dey funny

4 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Pachesky(m): 4:43pm On Aug 21, 2018
Tennis stars don't really earn much in prize money but through sponsorship and endorsement deals. If he wasn't the marketable type then I wouldn't be surprised he had less lucrative deals..but to go broke to this extent, then only he knows what he did with his money(women, bad/no investment or just bad luck)

5 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by IamAirforce1: 4:43pm On Aug 21, 2018
Tennis star , yet nothing to show for it .. but two wives .

11 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by samkevie: 4:44pm On Aug 21, 2018
I pity you

1 Like

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by IamAirforce1: 4:44pm On Aug 21, 2018
Tennis star , yet nothing to show for it .. but two wives who probably ain't bringing nothing to the table .

In your next life, you go wise up .

14 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Oceannaagent: 4:44pm On Aug 21, 2018
Don't know him, didn't broke into top rank
Always good to make the right investment when the going is good.

With you being a part of the Oceanna, you are guaranteed a lifetime of income and at the same time experiencing a lifestyle of luxury

Check my signature
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by tboycares: 4:45pm On Aug 21, 2018
That's life for you
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by tboycares: 4:45pm On Aug 21, 2018
That's life for you.
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by MsGood(f): 4:45pm On Aug 21, 2018
A lot of athletes are standing on this table. If you follow them on IG, you'll see how reckless they live. Even their women don't help them because they want the glamour which I believe they can still enjoy without wasting money. I hope they change sha.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by HajimeSaito(m): 4:48pm On Aug 21, 2018
IamAirforce1:
Tennis star , yet nothing to show for it .. but two wives who probably ain't bringing nothing to the table .

In your next life, you go wise up .

This is the deepest statement you've ever made on NL.

4 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by XINOIX: 4:49pm On Aug 21, 2018
[color=#000000][/color]
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by ola12(m): 4:50pm On Aug 21, 2018
He just didnt invest properly. There's no reason a person would b rich while young and poor at old age xcept he made some really terrible decisions

3 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by emeijeh(m): 4:50pm On Aug 21, 2018
HajimeSaito:

This is the deepest statement you've ever made on NL.

He seems to be making sense this ram period grin

6 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2018
Na waoh this is serious. Anyway this is a big lesson to us all. When u are working in a high payed firm or u are a higly payed sportsman or woman..its wise u invest ur money so as to establish a private business when u retire or something goes wrong. There are some lucky young guys in nigeria earning six figure salaries. The mega salaries dem dey earn dem dey splash on club every week...have 10 girlfriends dem dey maintain monthly financially,spend heavy on olosho. No savings,no investment. If d company dem dey work eventually fold up or dey get sacked dem go return to square one...dead broke. Na dat time dem go dey blame ppl for dhier village or their pastor will be telling them dat their mom na witch and dat na she swallow all their money for coven. Be wise and invest ur money while u earning.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by SaroWiwa: 4:52pm On Aug 21, 2018
This is to tell you that NO STAR shines forever. Make hay while the sun shines. Fame, Glory, Money, Glamour, Stardom, Prestige eventually dies. Only your good relationship with God will remain forever.

5 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Benjom(m): 4:52pm On Aug 21, 2018
Stars of today should learn from this. Start investing.
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Houseofglam7(f): 4:53pm On Aug 21, 2018
Liiiiffffeeee cry
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 21, 2018
This man was asked to come to India to train rising tennis stars there but he declined because he has to train kids in Pakistan. That’s patriotism but he need to get paid for his services. I dont think he is training anyone in Pakistani though.

...He has two wives as well as children. He should be advocating for one wife and less children.

1 Like

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 21, 2018
At least he has something to sell.
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by MartinCorridon: 4:55pm On Aug 21, 2018
lefulefu:
Na waoh this is serious. Anyway this is a big lesson to us all. When u are working in a high payed firm or u are a higly payed sportsman or woman..its wise u invest ur money so as to establish a private business when u retire or something goes wrong. There are some lucky young guys in nigeria earning six figure salaries.

PAID *

Make i copy GrammarNazi1

1 Like

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by Meel: 4:56pm On Aug 21, 2018
Hmm, I believe this should be a lesson to everyone in life, never spend money because you have it. Plan everything you do in life. Your luxurious life should even be planned, impulse luxury should be out of it. Like my mum use to tell me, if you should fill a house with gold and money, the moment you start spending than what you're saving there it will later finish.
He who has ears let him hear.

2 Likes

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by sylvez(m): 4:56pm On Aug 21, 2018
delugajackson:
Life changes every single second, so you gotta make the right decision.

10 years from now, your children will be either be eating or starving from the decisions you've made today. Make the right decision today.

For those who still have 10 years o

1 Like

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by sapeleboi(m): 4:56pm On Aug 21, 2018
that's life for u
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by mtec: 4:56pm On Aug 21, 2018
stane007:
Gul Hamid, a tennis star who now lives with his second wife in a remote village near Wah Cantt, now sells his trophies to survive. Gul Hamid's first wife and children live in Karachi, whom he has to feed too. 

The 68-year-old tennis star who has been playing tennis for the last 50 years won three International Tennis Federation cups, which include an ITF hat-trick from 2008 to 2010, the 1986 Oman Open and three gold medals from Pakistan Navy, where he served as a petty officer.
He told Geo TV; 

“I took my cups to sell to Arif Sahib, at Pakistan Sports Board, as I had no choice.”

“I prefer death over insults at the hands of a landlord who knocks at my door asking for rent, which I have been managing through thick and thin until now,” he says.

“It was really an amazing day of my life when I beat Krishna Bhopatti of India in the Oman Open in 1986. It was a big victory amidst an international crowd of fifteen thousand,” he adds.

According to the tennis star, Bhopatti, whose son Mahesh Bhopatti is currently an international tennis star even asked him to travel to India and train tennis players there.

“I thanked Bhopatti for the offer and told him I need to train our children in Pakistan,” he says.

“I am 68 now, and it’s probably the time for me and my wife to sit on Mussala (praying mat) and not running around for a living,” he adds.

Gul Hamid said he told Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa and Prime Minister Imran Khan, to fix a reasonable monthly stipend for him or give him at least some low-grade job like a groundsman. He also recounted his golden days through plastic coated newspaper clippings and commendations spread on a charpoyee. 

https://lailasnews.com/former-tennis-star-gul-hamid-sells-trophies-to-survive/

Lalasticlala
What a pity, vanity
Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by kolafolabi(m): 4:57pm On Aug 21, 2018
naso life be

1 Like

Re: Gul Hamid Sells His Trophies To Survive by mikejj(m): 4:57pm On Aug 21, 2018
heart breaking story.. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mikel Obi In The Pool With His Twin Girls / AFCON 2021: Why Referee, Janny Sikazwe Stopped Tunisia Vs Mali Early / Reactions As Beautiful Photos Of Sadio Mane And His Wife Aisha Tamba Emerge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.