Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,623 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. (9918 Views)

Upgrading To Glo 4g Sim / Infinix Hints Its Flagship Phone Is Coming Soon / Important Information For Those Upgrading Their Airtel Sim To 4G LTE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by VULCAN(m): 9:50am On Aug 23, 2018
Go buy a sim adapter so you can use 2 Sims and a memory card

MRLANNISTER:
I am changing to Galaxy S9 + because my 7Edge is 32 gigs and can no linder accommodate my work mail and media. it now slows down. A 64 or 128 gig will be a great relief since I cant use memory cards due to dual sim mode.
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by donvicky2007: 9:53am On Aug 23, 2018
saxj:
OP, u have tried well well buh lemme burst ya head dah d galaxy s8 - s9 has heart rate scanner.
Morealso, u cannot compare d 4G of iphone 7 to dah of itel p8,,, (haba broda u can lie oo),, i use an MTN 4GLTE Hauwei wifi,, d speed here, even my gees using infinix note 4 wee b begging me to share dem hotspot dah dey dont even notice d 4G on deir phone.

I am not a techxpert,, but as far as mobile phone Dev is concerned,, alot of innovations happen, try to carry out a thourough research bfr posting here. Dont limit urcf to naijatechguide,, go as far as gsmarena (d world phone market) and gather more knowledge.

D only flop i see is d so called AI camera google came up with that is just mere automation of loaded scenes. (Buh u dinnor mention it)
Although they tried to support AI camera search.

So Op, do more profitable research nd stop ranting.
I can only support u on d notch display

Heart rate scanner that is in Samsung Galaxy Note 4 that was released in 2014 that is what you want to use to burst the Op....... Even Samsung Note 4 camera are almost in the same parity with S8,S8+ and S9.

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by viktohmarkz(m): 10:13am On Aug 23, 2018
this is educative.
for me I'll be sticking with my X1s till 2020 because it got all I want.
that's also if the original owners don't come for it. (stay in ph and you'll understand)
thanks op.
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by anjilgreat(f): 10:37am On Aug 23, 2018
viktohmarkz:
this is educative.
for me I'll be sticking with my X1s till 2020 because it got all I want.
that's also if the original owners don't come for it. (stay in ph and you'll understand)
thanks op.

I understand you but please learn to speak positively because there is power in the tongue- you are the original owner of your phone and no other person is not to talk of thieves. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by Christgalaxy(m): 10:57am On Aug 23, 2018
uvalued:

Thanks for your revealing opinion...you have been stressin 2016 phones are equally good, can you please recommend which 2016 phones one can buy that is affordable and having the above
try tecno l8 plus which has 5050mah battery.since december 2016 wen i buy am e still make brain
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by labanj1(m): 10:58am On Aug 23, 2018
VULCAN:
Go buy a sim adapter so you can use 2 Sims and a memory card

I don't think that will fix his problem. I have the same problem with my phone, it is either two nano sim or a nano sim/memory card slot.

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by labanj1(m): 11:02am On Aug 23, 2018
I thought about all that before purchasing my Umidigi Crystal late last year. A 4G smartphone, with a fingerprint scanner, FHD screen with corning gorilla glass 4 and it is Bezelless.
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by HyDef(m): 11:02am On Aug 23, 2018
You have some points here. Perhaps there is no innovation going on, but there is definitely refinement.

You can't compare a SD845 to a low-end Mediatek chipset with 4G. They have different modems which have different maximum speeds. That was one of the things Samsung used to hit at the X in their Ingenius ads. Slower download speeds on the X.
Newer chipsets have better performance, with better efficiency, and as a result, better battery life. And it makes me happy that flagships are getting closer to that 4000mah average. The chipsets between a low-end and high-end phone goes way beyond clock speeds and number of cores.
Even two phones with the same resolution go a lot farther than just that. Panels have their own quality, evident by how Samsung is always carrying best of class.
Cameras are making the most steps though, particularly with the release of the Huawei P20 Pro.

To the average user, I agree. Yearly and even biyearly upgrades aren't necessary. But for more technology oriented individuals, it might make a difference.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by Hemjayy: 11:21am On Aug 23, 2018
Offpoint:
I know that long time ago... The features of 2020 phones has been on ground since years back, but it's business, every year they add one and hike the prices, then the money miss way will rush it just to trend.

I'm sticking to my Nokia N95 till infinity and beyond

Toy story?
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by Offpoint: 11:24am On Aug 23, 2018
Hemjayy:

Toy story?
gringrin I'm Buzz Lightyear

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by InvertedHammer: 12:02pm On Aug 23, 2018
/
It means your are wiser.

Your eyes have opened to the marketing gimmicks of oyibo people. You can never win bc every year will be a near design. Na you go spend tire. N450k phone last year becomes N60k this year if lucky. A good investment could have doubled that money within the same period. Who exactly are people trying to impress?

/

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by caco(m): 12:51pm On Aug 23, 2018
nice writeup … only if 'they' would listen to good advise. wink

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by meobizy(f): 2:44pm On Aug 23, 2018
Meh. I will still upgrade.
Phone processors get better with every iteration.
A 25% speed increase [normal with the S versions of iphones] is very noticeable.
4G technology doesn’t change but receiver hardware does.
I remember when I got a 2011 Blackberry phone with 3G capability and it kept beating my 2008 Nokia 5800 with 3.5G capability flawlessly in download times — all the while using the same network.
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by Joezik(m): 2:50pm On Aug 23, 2018
Hoodbilonia:
still rocking my samsung s9plus
not much improvement frm d previous s8and s8plus
most guys and girls using big phones dont eat well
sleep well
they always broke
i can host a family of 5 for 2months
nothing dey happen

Oga at the top

Send me just one month money
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 23, 2018
Fundango:

the reason is that a friend mine want to sell his own for me 28k used almost a year and i dont want to loss it cos it have most features in flagship phones grin
buy it ASAP
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by Fundango: 4:00pm On Aug 23, 2018
franciskaine:
buy it ASAP
Thanks for the advice
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by nerdfrost(m): 4:14pm On Aug 23, 2018
Hoodbilonia:
still rocking my samsung s9plus not much improvement frm d previous s8and s8plus most guys and girls using big phones dont eat well sleep well they always broke i can host a family of 5 for 2months nothing dey happen

host my bank account na...abeg exams wan kill me for school
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by xtervaganza(m): 4:16pm On Aug 23, 2018
The op is correct. Only thing is, the automobile industry has plateaued long time from now

Self driving and electric cars are just papering over cracks. In terms of innovation there's no much difference in a 2010 and 2017 car
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by viktohmarkz(m): 4:43pm On Aug 23, 2018
anjilgreat:

I understand you but please learn to speak positively because there is power in the tongue- you are the original owner of your phone and no other person is not to talk of thieves. Thanks
please easy with things not everything has to be religious, plain and simple if said if you stay in ph you'll understand. don't come and start doing too serious
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by anjilgreat(f): 5:22pm On Aug 23, 2018
viktohmarkz:

please easy with things not everything has to be religious, plain and simple if said if you stay in ph you'll understand. don't come and start doing too serious

Sorry if I sounded too serious to you. This is not a matter of religion, it's the reality of life I opined to you to mind the things we say from our mouth no matter how simple and trivial they may look. By the way I have lived in PH for over seven years.
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by Abatemtem(m): 5:23pm On Aug 23, 2018
fiercehillz:
No breathtaking technology with respect to mobile phones since 2016. Its either they increase d mega pixels of the cameras, increase ram, increase ROM, or copy apple or Samsung hardwares. The new thing now is to copy the notch design of iPhone X...I think people buy the latest flagship devices just to maintain certain status or class in the society, nothing more.
Remember those days when rare camera was introduced to phones, when camera flashlight was introduced, infrared and then Bluetooth, touch screens, 3g, 4g, selfie cameras etc.

IPhone copied essential phone
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by uvalued(m): 6:14pm On Aug 23, 2018
Christgalaxy:
try tecno l8 plus which has 5050mah battery.since december 2016 wen i buy am e still make brain

thanks
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by piagetskinner(m): 1:36pm On Aug 24, 2018
s8 128gb for sale....185k only

Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by viktohmarkz(m): 5:42pm On Aug 24, 2018
anjilgreat:

Sorry if I sounded too serious to you. This is not a matter of religion, it's the reality of life I opined to you to mind the things we say from our mouth no matter how simple and trivial they may look. By the way I have lived in PH for over seven years.
what part of ph. lemme take you there
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by Alfabest07(m): 11:12pm On Aug 24, 2018
Hoodbilonia:
still rocking my samsung s9plus
not much improvement frm d previous s8and s8plus
most guys and girls using big phones dont eat well
sleep well
they always broke
i can host a family of 5 for 2months
nothing dey happen
Bros, abeg.. Leave my family, host only me ooo.. I seriously dhy beg ooo
Re: Why I Would Not Be Upgrading To A New 2018 Flagship Phone This Year. by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:58pm On Aug 24, 2018
xtervaganza:
The op is correct. Only thing is, the automobile industry has plateaued long time from now

Self driving and electric cars are just papering over cracks. In terms of innovation there's no much difference in a 2010 and 2017 car
A 2010 S class and a 2017 S class are light years ahead of each other. The later comes with a level 1 self autonomy lipsrsealed. Maybe with toyotas there aren't much differences but not with German cars. The 2018 comes with level 3 autonomy as an option. The adaptive damping systems which are now hydraulic. The sweet command center. Cars advance every year.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does The New Nokia 3310 Support Whatsapp And Facebook? / How To Keep Your MTN Number Safe When Travelling Abroad To Avoid Deactivation / What Do You Love Most About Your Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.