Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules (3638 Views)

Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States / NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators / Telecom Providers Ordered To Shut Down Blackberry Messenger (bbm)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by spoOne: 4:01pm On Jun 26, 2010
Nigeria Threatens to Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules
June 25, 2010, 4:22 AM EDT
By Vincent Nwanma

June 25 (Bloomberg) -- Nigeria will shut down any telecom operator flaunting a government directive for all subscribers of mobile phones to be registered, Minister of Communication and Information Dora Akunyili said on the state-owned Nigerian Television Authority late yesterday.

“If you don’t want to register SIM cards, please shut down before we shut you down,” Akunyili said at a meeting with representatives of the telecom operators, NTA reported.

Nigeria, which has the fastest growing telecom industry in Africa, began the registration of new subscribers in May. The exercise is aimed at curbing the use of mobile phones in crimes including armed robbery and kidnapping in Africa’s most populous nation. . .

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-25/nigeria-threatens-to-shut-down-telecom-operators-breaking-rules.html

Way to go Dora, best IDing/Tracking system for a Nigeria!!!

Hopefully, big telecom don't bribe their way out of this - and unscrupulous politicians don’t derail the effort at the get go.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Dclique(m): 4:40pm On Jun 26, 2010
They should just give a deadline then barr all unregistered numbers.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:58am On Jun 27, 2010
hmmmn, this means bad news for my efbetee sims o!
@ dclique wetin be ur address, make i take am register my mtn sim grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Dclique(m): 1:11am On Jun 27, 2010
Hahaha, see this sharp guy. Make dem come carry me abi. No thanks
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by puskin: 1:55am On Jun 27, 2010
4llerbuntu:

hmmmn, this means bad news for my efbetee sims o!
@ dclique wetin be your address, make i take am register my mtn sim grin grin grin

Wait oh!!! Does dis thing also affect data (efbeetee)SIMs?? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by EvilBrain1(m): 1:57am On Jun 27, 2010
My god! Am I the only person that sees what a stupid idea this is?

So the government is going to register sim cards to prevent crime? But whats to stop a thief from stealing someone else's phone and using it to do whatever? And what kind of stupid criminal uses his personal phone to commit crime?

That aside sef, whats to stop me from telling MTN that my name is Nelson Mandela or Oliver DeCoque or something? How are they going to prove that I'm not Nelson Mandela? Hardly anybody has a passport in this country, and the equally stupid national ID project only targeted those over 18 years (less than 40% of the population according to UN figures) and many of those either were never registered, never got their cards or got them and have since lost them.

What percentage of the people in your village (or even in Lagos sef) have any sort of valid documentation, birth certificate or whatever to prove who they are? And whats to stop these criminals that are so dangerous that you have to inconvenience tens of millions of law abiding citizens from simply forging something Salisu Buhari style?

And how is my grandmother going to travel from the village to the nearest Glo service centre God knows how many kilometers away to register her phone? How many hours/days/weeks is she going to queue for. It took me over 6 hours just to reclaim my line when my phone was stolen a few years ago because of the crazy queue at the Glo office in Challenge, Ibadan. What's going to happen when the whole country is rushing to beat the deadline?

And what about the privacy implications? Don't I have the right to make a phone call without our useless, corrupt government knowing about it? What if you're cheating on your girlfriend (not a crime) or plotting to escape from an abusive husband (also not a crime). Is it not your right to keep your secrets secret as long as you're not breaking the law?

This kind of rubbish is exactly the reason why Nigeria is so backward. Because we are too complacent to fight for our rights and freedoms and we're too stupid to notice when the people upstairs are sh!tting on us.

Nonsense!!!
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Nobody: 2:31am On Jun 27, 2010
This is Obvious. Dang!!!
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by nigerfine: 2:35am On Jun 27, 2010
@evil brain , what a name;please don't show your ignorance in public.in developed countries Sims are registered. which should see it as a welcome development and the question becomes ;the modality of doing this.it could cub crime to a degree, we cant keep on condemning on and on without advising and moving forward.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by violent(m): 3:12am On Jun 27, 2010
nigerfine:

@evil brain , what a name;please don't show your ignorance in public.i[b]n developed countries Sims are registered[/b]. which should see it as a welcome development and the question becomes ;the modality of doing this.it could cub crime to a degree, we cant keep on condemning on and on without advising and moving forward.

erhm. . in as much as i don't quite agree with evil brain's school of tot, i wouldn't think you are right with the bolded part. in the UK, you can always get free sims even at train stations without any form of registration whatsoever.

Evil Brain:

My god! Am I the only person that sees what a silly idea this is?

So the government is going to register sim cards to prevent crime? But whats to stop a thief from stealing someone else's phone and using it to do whatever? And what kind of silly criminal uses his personal phone to commit crime?

That aside sef, whats to stop me from telling MTN that my name is Nelson Mandela or Oliver DeCoque or something? How are they going to prove that I'm not Nelson Mandela? Hardly anybody has a passport in this country, and the equally silly national ID project only targeted those over 18 years (less than 40% of the population according to UN figures) and many of those either were never registered, never got their cards or got them and have since lost them.

What percentage of the people in your village (or even in Lagos sef) have any sort of valid documentation, birth certificate or whatever to prove who they are? And whats to stop these criminals that are so dangerous that you have to inconvenience tens of millions of law abiding citizens from simply forging something Salisu Buhari style?

And how is my grandmother going to travel from the village to the nearest Glo service centre God knows how many kilometers away to register her phone? How many hours/days/weeks is she going to queue for. It took me over 6 hours just to reclaim my line when my phone was stolen a few years ago because of the crazy queue at the Glo office in Challenge, Ibadan. What's going to happen when the whole country is rushing to beat the deadline?

And what about the privacy implications? Don't I have the right to make a phone call without our useless, corrupt government knowing about it? What if you're cheating on your girlfriend (not a crime) or plotting to escape from an abusive husband (also not a crime). Is it not your right to keep your secrets secret as long as you're not breaking the law?

This kind of rubbish is exactly the reason why Nigeria is so backward. Because we are too complacent to fight for our rights and freedoms and we're too silly to notice when the people upstairs are sh!tting on us.

Nonsense!!!

This should be seen as a welcome development by all Nigerians, and its quite clear that it's advantages far outweigh the downsides, if carefully implemented.

The registration thingy, if implemented with the use of fingerprint technology would go a long way in establishing identities of millions of Nigerians, and you really wouldn't be able to use different names at different points, once you have your biometric details stored in a database.

Quite frankly, we ought to have passed the age in which fingerprints are collected from a crime scene and there isn't any database to match such with. . . .the registration process if handled properly will go a long way in addressing this. . . also to think of the great potentials it has in curbing fraudulent activities which has continuously marred the Nigerian image, both home and abroad, one will think the long queues and waitings is a little sacrifice to pay.

I also doubt that the government is bringing up this policies to monitor your private life. . . i mean, i don't think anyone is getting employed to monitor daily activities of over a hundred million mobile phone users. . .who cares?
The scheme is designed to investigate specific cases and obtain evidence for prosecution purposes.

The fight for a better Nigeria has to begin somewhere, even if it involves given up a little privacy!
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Jeovy(m): 4:54am On Jun 27, 2010
well said violet, we have just taking a step towards that direction,some day we will get someone that will think of a technology that can scan for finger prints and match the database to the fingerprints. we will get there someday.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by akwaowoudo(m): 5:48am On Jun 27, 2010
I salute the innovation but also in the same spirit there should be a comprehensive security measure for courier delivery as the elements of crime may return or get shifted to that sector. Remember IBB used courier to kill Dele Giwa.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by emisun(m): 5:52am On Jun 27, 2010
Hmm, MISPLACED PRIORITIES. THATS WHAT I CALL IT. Who doesn't know that crime is a social problem that should be dealt sociologically in accordingly with the social factors that caused it. These social factors,of cos am sure u already know then (incase u don't, browse about them or  read on sociology) are what this "claimed leaders" should tackle.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Acidosis(m): 6:20am On Jun 27, 2010
Evil Brain:

But whats to stop a thief from stealing someone else's phone and using it to do whatever?
even Dora can't find a reasonable answer to this question. The idea is barbaric, humiliating and unspeakable.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Slyjay1(m): 6:31am On Jun 27, 2010
uhhhmmmmm!! This is good news, i hope it works sha. tongue
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:46am On Jun 27, 2010
simply means if u lose ur fone, ur gonna spend time at force hq in a cell explaining to dumb policemen how ur line was used in kaduna to commit a crime while ur in lagos.

as in nigerian police?

woe betide u too if as will become apparent, sim cloning will gain ground here. trust naija to make better use of criminal resources better than the inventors. wait till someone clones dora"s number to scam oyinbo, then we shall see

besides our thieving operatyors are only happy for the new streams of income!! it suddenly becomes more profitable to retrieve sims!!!

anyway, i can bet my bottom kobo, by october, there will private activation of sims from ur bedroom in naija, when oluwole.ning neverdie, they want trouble they will get it double
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Echidime(m): 7:14am On Jun 27, 2010
IS GOOD DEVELOPMENT,HERE IN INDIA IS THE SAME,YOU BUY A SIM CARD WITH YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT COPY AND VISA COPY,AFTER 5 DAYS THE LINE IS CUTOFF TILL YOUR PAPERS ARE VERIFY TO BE CORRECT. IF NOT THE COMPANY CAN'T OPERATE IN INDIAN SOIL. THIS LP THEM TO MONITOR TERRORIST AND OTHER CRIMES.

NIGERIANS SHOULD ACCEPT CHANGE AND STOP COMPLAINING
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by fyneguy: 7:45am On Jun 27, 2010
I wonder what's good about this policy.

You can not stop crimes with this in Nigeria. What will happen to business centre operators? If a criminal makes calls with a pay phone, will the operator be arrested?

In Nigeria, where you can forge anything, what stops criminals from making genuine driver's licences with fake details to register their sims?

This policy, no doubt, will affect telecom operators.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Rmc1(m): 7:49am On Jun 27, 2010
GOOD DEVELOPMENT!! It is done like that every where in the developed/ advanced world no passport no sim card. govt don dey block all the loop holes, hehehe.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by hackney(m): 8:09am On Jun 27, 2010
^^^^^^^ No passport no sim for where?
u dey ment? ?
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Rmc1(m): 8:15am On Jun 27, 2010
^^^
no na you dey kolo
my friend in europe i can confiently tell you that before you get a sim card you have to show some form of identification that will be verified in the central computer if it is genuine
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by hooged: 8:24am On Jun 27, 2010
Can some1 register 3 sim card? One extra cool one extra connect and eef bee tee line. Na wa o
O
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by sulakishop(m): 8:38am On Jun 27, 2010
This people are just looking for my trouble. Anyway, that means I will have to register all my 15 sim cards,
No wahala!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by beknown(m): 9:15am On Jun 27, 2010
This is an excellent idea.

Many people do not understand the way to fight crime in a clever way. In developed countries like UK and USA, sim cards are registered. As a result, all mobile calls in developed countries can be tracked and traced.

Nigerians should support this idea with open mind.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by axeman85(m): 9:22am On Jun 27, 2010
This is a very very and absolutely daft idea. Registering sims doesnt stop crime in any way shape or form at all. even in developed countries like uk and usa that have the facilitites to monitor people. they dont tell their citizen to register their sims at all. there are always 2 services offered either pay as you go or contract, its only the contract phones that you are requirred to register your details based on the fact that you will have to get a credit check done to enable you get the phone and even with that sef crime and fraud of all sorts are being committed. you can imagine when someone comes to lagos and wants to sell 4 to 5 blackberries all these are done fraudlently by using peoples details to get the phone. so in essence what am saying is that it wont work or it cant work in a country like Nigeria at all. shikena. just pr stunt.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by chidichris(m): 10:20am On Jun 27, 2010
@evil brain , what a name;please don't show your ignorance in public.in developed countries Sims are registered. which should see it as a welcome development and the question becomes ;the modality of doing this.it could cub crime to a degree, we cant keep on condemning on and on without advising and moving forward.

@nigerfine,
did i hear u say in developed countries sims are registered? is nigeria a developed country?
do we have identity here in nigeria? how do u register sim when people do not have identity. our drivers lincense are issued in absential so what is the guarrantee that these telecommunication companies will be dealing with the real persons at the point of registeration?
in places like the north, cows will be used as persons in registering sim cards.
it is simple as saying it loud, it will not work.
at the end of the day, FG shld be working towards fixing power problems and that will go ahead in solving a lot of problems including provission of job opportunities to many and providing adquate security options to the people.
most of these crimes are backed by our so-called security agents. sanitizing aso rock will do us a lot of good as that has been the headquatters of crime in the country.
as long as nigeria is concerned, telecommunication companies have very little to contribute in the crime rate of this country.
we as a ppl have refused to face the real situations always chasing shadows in the place of objects.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by benchwest: 10:39am On Jun 27, 2010
we nigerians are so ignorant that we dont know how to let the govt help us,
sim registration is a very vital way of controlling diferent kind of crimes in a society,what the govt really need to do is inforce the id card projects efectively.
without a central data system(id card) in nigeria all the prgrames will be very deficult to be fullfilled.
this is the first thing our govt should figth id card for all,creat a central data system.
god bless nig
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 27, 2010
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by nyrol(m): 12:08pm On Jun 27, 2010
so registering seem cards now is the most important thing that needed be done in nija right? these pple are never serious, all the political assasinations no be dem dey do am? then what we talking about here? have they finished investigating bankole nd his fellow house of rogues members? what the Bleep men? thank god for america that has just banned that idiot andoaka from entering their country, there still many others, ban them and deport their families there, then they wud learn fast. sim registration is good but they shudnt be carrying on with it as if the all and all of nija problems. i rest my case.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by princeparis(m): 12:10pm On Jun 27, 2010
What the govt. could not do for ten years they now want MTN and co to do in 3 months. If Dora wants a database why she no go National Id office and see what the issues are. I think Dora is becoming very less busy, abeg somebody should find work for her. To Dora. You, your oga and others should make the NID project a reality and you wont need to pick on MTN and co to do your work for you. Abeg leave these people alone, they are the only thing working in this dataless country. Or you want to destroy the only legacy OBJ left behind.
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by Iceugwa(m): 12:38pm On Jun 27, 2010
the security of the information we give to these company is my greatest concern, how secured is it
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:44pm On Jun 27, 2010
if i hear one mumu say again that sims are compulsorily registered outside nigeria , that person is very foolish!!!!

so you are so dumb not to know that its only phones on contract lines that are registered? they are cheaper, cost is spread over time thus people prefer it, and details are needed to verify if u can pay and if ur actually there to pay!!

inspite of that no be those same phones dem dey bring come nigeria, wey una dey unlock? which even shows that quite clearly that idea no even dey foolproof. so many innocent peoples credit card and details don go into this scams!!

for nigeria sef, if u knew anything you would know that postpaid lines are also registered!!!

mumu people with mumu ideas, so when i want to register my sim, what will stop me from saying my name is Adamu Obama? have u even bothered to look at the requirements to register? check www.mtnonline.com for example, i need passport photos and thumbprint.
i can register through a proxy, and to cap it all this stuff is done through external agents, which in nigerian terms means another round of scamming, paying money to register just like national id card (abi u dont know some pple paid to register?)

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER MONEY MAKING JAMBOREE WITH FULL BACKING OF THE TELCOS!!! tseewww!!!
Re: Nigeria Threatens To Shut Down Telecom Operators Breaking Rules by IRAPADA(m): 1:11pm On Jun 27, 2010
Bad bizs 4 yahoo guys

(1) (2) (Reply)

Iphone 7 Panel Issue / How Many Days Does 1GB Data Last You? / How Can We Activate Call Monitoring.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.