Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company (40510 Views)

Two Bugatti, Benz, N300m Duplex Recovered From Abuja Yahoo Boys / Facebook User Exposes New Format ATM Fraudsters Use To Scam People. / Yahoo Boy Who Posed As US Army Officer To Scam Ladies Arrested (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 24, 2018
grin the way i rush enter this thread ehn..was expecting the guy to be a nigerian but alas na oyibo i see.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by olatade(m): 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2018
make e come 9ja make sharp men teach am as dem dey run this kind package perfectly

1 Like

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by jaxxy(m): 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2018
He even borrowed money to buy d Bugatti. Lol
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by AngelicBeing: 8:44pm On Aug 24, 2018
tongue
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by uuzba(m): 8:58pm On Aug 24, 2018
DannyJ19:
White people have been scamming insurance company since 20AD.

Insurance company in Nigeria just dey enjoy because there don't indemnify most of people with insurance cover.

Insurance business is like two 419 people trying to outsmart each other.

1 Like

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Pinkyhubb: 9:09pm On Aug 24, 2018
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by ddjay: 9:27pm On Aug 24, 2018
and when these oyinbos say nigerians are fraudulent, some people in naija will follow and shout amen...u c ba

3 Likes

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by sleek82(m): 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2018
I'm surprised nobody talked about the guy who videoed the incident.....mehn, if na me, after jail, na him house be my first stop.....he must video how I will beat him too.....Aproko like him!

People do it a lot...na so one idiot left her lane one morning and faced me on top speed, I quickly swerved off the road into the Bush....she was either high on drugs or trying to claim money off insurance!!!
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by lexy2014: 9:43pm On Aug 24, 2018
Automotive1:

Sometimes justice is swift, sometimes it may take a few years. In this case, it took about 6 years before a Texas man was sentenced to prison for trying to defraud an insurance company out of a couple of million dollars.

It all started in 2009 when the request of 39-year-old exotic car salvage yard owner, Andy Lee House , to insured his $1 million (N362m in Naira) Bugatti Veyron for $2.2 million was granted .

A month after the purchase of the supercar, he drove his $1 million Bugatti Veyron into the salty water lake and left it running in the water.

House filed a claim with his insurance company to collect the $2.2 million for the damaged car.

In his claim ,he said a low-flying pelican bird had distracted him as he was reaching for his mobile phone, causing him to swerve uncontrollably into the lake.

Unfortunately for him, another motorist who admires and wished he had one ,was close by filming the fast-moving car moments before he drove into the lagoon.
He later posted the crash on YouTube and has been viewed more than 8 million times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJmB1F2mdE
It has been viewed more than 8 million times

Following the incident, the insurance company Philadelphia Indemnity sued Mr House for fraud.

The company claimed he borrowed $1million from his friend to buy the insured car and then double the investment by destroying the multi-million dollar car.

In Mister House’s case, the insurance company involved the FBI, the Texas Rangers and the Police Department to investigate the crash.

When the video was viewed and the Bugatti accessed ,there were no pelicans anywhere in sight and he had also intentionally left the engine running for 15 minutes, causing irreparable damage .

Reporters who arrived at the wreck scene minutes later confirmed they heard the 1,200 horsepower W16 engine, capable of speeds in excess of 253 mph, gurgling the salt water.

The lawsuit also claimed an unnamed confidential informant stated Mr House offered to pay him to steal the car and burn it so that He could claim the insurance money.

Mr House pleaded guilty to the insurance fraud in August 2014 and was sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison in December 2015 .He will also have to serve three years of supervised release after he gets out of prison.

He must also pay the insurance company back its $600,000 settlement . He might have gotten away with it had it not been for a YouTube video of his ill-conceived scheme and the lack of flying pelican birds in the air that day.

It’s estimated that fraud costs the insurance industry in US about $30 billion annually. In U.K,One insurance fraud is detected every minute according to industry figures. 

What do you think?

https://autojosh.com/meet-the-man-who-drove-his-1m-bugatti-veyron-into-a-salt-water-lake-to-scam-his-insurance-company/

and they say we are a 419 nation when we are actually learners in fraud compared to these people

3 Likes

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by emperorblog(m): 10:06pm On Aug 24, 2018
lol

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Aldebaran(m): 10:19pm On Aug 24, 2018
Mr House is the biggest loser ever grin

1 Like

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by kunkelhanspeter(m): 10:35pm On Aug 24, 2018
If it’s a Nigerian boy nah what could have happened
Dem go say Na Yahoo boy
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Checked86: 11:00pm On Aug 24, 2018
moral hazard

1 Like

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by poseidon12: 12:48am On Aug 25, 2018
obafemee80:
Cost of his car - $1M

Insured it for - $2.2M

He repaid the insurance comp- $600,000 settlement

Money in his bank - $0.00

Jail time - more than a year

And he still owes his friend $1M.

5 Likes

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by poseidon12: 12:57am On Aug 25, 2018
sleek82:
I'm surprised nobody talked about the guy who videoed the incident.....mehn, if na me, after jail, na him house be my first stop.....he must video how I will beat him too.....Aproko like him!

People do it a lot...na so one idiot left her lane one morning and faced me on top speed, I quickly swerved off the road into the Bush....she was either high on drugs or trying to claim money off insurance!!!

What if the guy is Mike Tyson?

1 Like

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by ajl: 1:15am On Aug 25, 2018
[quote author=asawanathegreat post=70578916]So Oyibo people even corrupt pass naija people? [/quote

Brainwashing or what do we call this?
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Nobody: 2:26am On Aug 25, 2018
Every day for the Thief, one day for the Owner.
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Originalsly: 3:13am On Aug 25, 2018
Hmmm.....speeding along and distracted by a low slow flying Pelican?...common pelican? I can understand if it were a ehmmm....low flying ostrich. .....and how can he be reaching for a phone while distracted?
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by mysteryman2014: 4:54am On Aug 25, 2018
Why must they insure more than the face value of the car?

That should have raised alarm bells in the fraud department.
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by mrgreen4real(m): 6:15am On Aug 25, 2018
BruncleZuma:
Not too smart...
In my opinion, he was smatter because he had already succeeded in the scam if not for the fact that someone around had a mobile phone.
Imagine
1. The man who videoed the scenario was on a phone call at the point of incident.
2. If a bed was flying and captured in the video
3. This fraud happened in a generation (1930) where mobile phone was not in existence.

The company would have lose

1 Like

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by olmoRoc: 6:17am On Aug 25, 2018
The people running the insurance company are probably brain dead. Who insures a car valued at $1 Million for $2.2 million? The car shouldn't have been insured for more that $800,000.
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 25, 2018
asawanathegreat:
So Oyibo people even corrupt pass naija people?

Yeap, but their system most of the time catches corrupt people. For instance, driving One-way is something I haven't seen in Uk, but it's a normal thing for our drivers in Africa.

If our laws and system can only catch them, then Nigeria will be great!!!
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 25, 2018
The plan was great and likely to work if not for the bastard that videoed him while driving

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 25, 2018
Millz404:
grin Some people sef no go just let person plan work with thier busy body

I'm telling you, everything naim they record. He would have made a million bucks, without spending a dime.
Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by Harry00(m): 2:03pm On Aug 25, 2018
grin Back fired

1 Like

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by sleek82(m): 10:53pm On Aug 25, 2018
poseidon12:

What if the guy is Mike Tyson?
na to collect him phone number instead!!! grin cheesy wink undecided

1 Like

Re: Meet Andy Lee House Who Sank His $1m Bugatti Veyron To Scam Insurance Company by beresponsible(m): 6:00am On Aug 26, 2018
donnie:
grin
for ship am come naija then report stolen . Ode

(1) (2) (Reply)

25-year-old Man Arrested For Having Sex With Goat In Jigawa / Another Kidnapper Caught In Lagos Today, Nearly Lynched To Death By Mob (Pics) / Road Safety Official Stabs Bus Driver To Death In Abia (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.