Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Clueless Hospital MD Refuses To Pay Salary, Claims Fear Of EFCC - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Clueless Hospital MD Refuses To Pay Salary, Claims Fear Of EFCC (734 Views)

Twitter Refuses To Pay African Employees, Replies With Poop Emoji / Obasanjo Sacks Staff Of His Presidential Library, Refuses To Pay Salaries / Drama As Scared Nigerian Cadet Refuses To Jump During Military Training. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Clueless Hospital MD Refuses To Pay Salary, Claims Fear Of EFCC by mrsky77: 5:53pm On Aug 26, 2018
I recently met a gentleman on my way home on Friday. He seemed troubled, so I decided against my natural instinct to inquire why he looked so dejected. It didn’t take a lot for him to open up. As he started speaking, it was obvious he was a well-read person. He spoke with elocution and in his eyes, you could find the tell tales of a professional, who knew his onions. However, his despair was palpable.
He said to me, what kind of country is this? What sort of hell are we living in? One where you have no sense of right or dignity. How has life become so worthless? Sensing an all too familiar tone, I was ready with my usual comforting speech that all would be well, take it easy, persevere and all what not. In fact, I was about to start counselling him, when he laughed and said “what an irony- this is what I do for a living”. I was surprised. I thought, how is it that one who provides solace for others would find himself needing the same comfort which he gives others? It was then he told me he was a Doctor at Federal Neuro-Psychiatry hospital Yaba. I was shocked. He said the reason he was so down was because having worked for month after month, his employer refused to pay his salary. That this is an ongoing situation, where for about 3 months some Doctors in the hospital have not been receiving their salaries. He has had to borrow so much and he doesn't see an end in sight. He now doesn’t know how his upkeep will be sustained giving the circumstance.
I decided to dig deeper, because I wanted to be sure this wasn’t some self-promoting venture by the said individual or perhaps, he and his other colleague who are also being owed salary are actually not in violation of any regulations that would see such measures meted out against them. He informed me that the problem concerned newly employed resident Doctors and other employees inclusive. He said that there’s a directive by the Federal Government that staff payments will be done through a new system, which though in existence, hadn’t started working when their predicament started. Some of the former employees who have been captured by this system still have their salaries paid by the hospital management instead of the new system , whereas the management insists that theirs should be paid by this new system. A system where even some of the old staff who have already been captured are still receiving their salaries from the hospital; how much more his set who have just been captured by this new system which might commence paying in December.
I was shocked and asked what their other colleagues who are receiving salary are doing about it. He let me understand that there have been several meetings where they’ve interceded on their behalf, but the management refuses to budge. He said that they have been the support system for most of them all this while, but it’s getting embarrassing and even the others can only do so much; which is why the association representing resident Doctors in the hospital are planning to go on strike should this month salary and arrears not be paid to them.
He said the management is saying their agitation is baseless after all they shouldn't except salaries until 3 months after resumption in a government establishment. The saddest part isn't that the hospital cannot afford to pay these Doctors, it's that the management is insisting that if they use funds given it to pay personnel to pay new personnel and not old ones they might be queried by EFCC.
All this aside, I find it wicked that the hospital administration would have monthly allocation and would choose to pay the salaries of some workers and refuse to pay that of others. He said he heard some rumors that the MD paid 2 newly employed staff from her state, but he can't confirm this. But this is sheer wickedness. I felt for this man. I imagined myself in his position and how I would feel. It’s absolutely disgraceful what’s happening in this country. We complain that there’s a brain drain in the country and so so numbers of Nigerian Doctors are abroad. Why wouldn’t they be? Why should they not leave? It’s absurd to think of such a thing happening. It was even more surprising to learn that the head of the hospital who is also a Doctor actually sanctioned this. It’s absolutely sickening. I do not have evidence, but this reeks of foul play. The corruption in many government agencies and establishments is quite alarming and considering the coverage those of the political class get; it’s absolutely shameful that this doesn’t receive as much scrutiny. I enjoin you to investigate this story and if possible, publish as a main piece. I cannot disclose the gentleman’s identity in order to protect his privacy, but I’m very sure if you reach out to the right persons in the organisation, you should learn about the situation.
I believe it is my civic and moral duty to bring this to public attention, I hope this terrible act is condemned and those in charge of such be made to answer for their actions. Thank you.
Re: Clueless Hospital MD Refuses To Pay Salary, Claims Fear Of EFCC by Ace99: 10:19am On Aug 27, 2018
It's so pathetic that anyone would work for so long and not get paid their deserved wages. What a sad tale to hear on monday morning. It's even worse to hear the reason is a technicality rather than a lack of funds as the state government hospitals would claim.

However, this story is confusing and unravels itself. I dont see why the writer calls the MD clueless, especially as EFCC is given as a reason. You cannot put this EFCC issue aside while calling the MD clueless.
Likewise the writer obviously wrote this down without further investigation, mrsky77 could have visited the hospital to ask someone else rather than make insults based on one person's testimony. The writer clearly states that there is no evidence to some of the assertions.

For instance, what are these old and new systems of payment? What is the role of EFCC in the matter? Since other staff beside doctors are affected, could this be a broader issue that also affects other hospitals? What kind of staff are being paid via the old system?

Why would the management hire new staff without any plans to pay them, that's awful. The agitation of the staff as described in the write up is not baseless. Workers should not be forced to endure financial deprivation, not in this economic climate. The MD must find a legal way to ensure these staff get paid this month, not december.

1 Like

Re: Clueless Hospital MD Refuses To Pay Salary, Claims Fear Of EFCC by mrsky77: 12:58pm On Aug 27, 2018
Ace99:
It's so pathetic that anyone would work for so long and not get paid their deserved wages. What a sad tale to hear on monday morning. It's even worse to hear the reason is a technicality rather than a lack of funds as the state government hospitals would claim.

However, this story is confusing and unravels itself. I dont see why the writer calls the MD clueless, especially as EFCC is given as a reason. You cannot put this EFCC issue aside while calling the MD clueless.
Likewise the writer obviously wrote this down without further investigation, mrsky77 could have visited the hospital to ask someone else rather than make insults based on one person's testimony. The writer clearly states that there is no evidence to some of the assertions.

For instance, what are these old and new systems of payment? What is the role of EFCC in the matter? Since other staff beside doctors are affected, could this be a broader issue that also affects other hospitals? What kind of staff are being paid via the old system?

Why would the management hire new staff without any plans to pay them, that's awful. The agitation of the staff as described in the write up is not baseless. Workers should not be forced to endure financial deprivation, not in this economic climate. The MD must find a legal way to ensure these staff get paid this month, not december.

Thanks Ace99, for the comments.

I was able to investigate a bit and I believe the use of the term 'clueless' aims to highlight the fact that despite the reason for not paying the staff salary, the MD should have resorted to other means of remediation, which wasn't pursued. To put it more specifically, other centres have the same problem and they've gone ahead to pay their staff out of the funds available in the hospital. So the MD is clueless as she doesn't have the requisite administrative skills needed to mediate such issues properly.

I mean, it's only common sense if the leader makes a call that is meant to benefit the organisation as a whole. I'm not even looking at this from the purview of an employee, but as a leader. I am not in this sector but as a management consultant, we are trained to look at the issues and look for a solution that covers the broader spectrum. The MD's actions will only serve to bring bad press to her and her organisation and demoralise or disenfranchise the staff that feel cheated.

I sincerely hope that the story can gain more exposure, so that perhaps, public pressure can will her to do the right thing.
Re: Clueless Hospital MD Refuses To Pay Salary, Claims Fear Of EFCC by Oluwo1: 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2018
This is so true, I know a Dr that works there. Naija my country

(1) (Reply)

Application Opens: Shell Nigeria Graduate Student Research Internship 2019/2020 / I Will Help You Earn Atleast 100 Dollars Before The End Of The Year / Exclusive Guide Reveals The New Way To Legally Relocate To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.