Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,189 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor (2510 Views)

Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise / The Meaning Of "Next Of Kin" / What The Law Says About Next-of-kin In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor by bernice2020(f): 8:16pm On Aug 27, 2018
Sometimes No one wants their properties to fall in the wrong hands when they are gone. The only way to prevent this is to have a will that states clearly who gets what. Without a will, your next of kin is legally entitled to your estate. With a WILL , you are free to make whoever you must whenever you should your next of kin. , I was reorganizing my documents. A friend of mine walked in and picked one of the documents lying idly on the bed “Your sister is your next of kin?”, he asked with a hint of surprise. “Yes, why?” I asked.
Choosing next of kin goes beyond gender. At a time in history when gender equality and feminism is taking giant strides, it is surprising that most people would rather put the name of their younger male child as next of kin on their documents.
“My daughter will only be a next of kin for as long as i have no son”, my friend said. “My daughter would get married and go into another family; her husband will now be the one to enjoy my property.” He continued.
Most people believe a next of kin is a close relative who gets to inherit your estate. Others believe a next of kin should be someone matured enough to make decisions on their behalf when they are incapacitated or deceased.

Read more on: www.seyitola.com
Re: Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor by babyfaceafrica: 9:06pm On Aug 27, 2018
hmmm
Re: Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor by DonroxyII: 5:15am On Aug 28, 2018
NOK should be someone you know will do justice to your estate when you are gone ....
In my office, we were arguing, I said my mama will still be my NOK even after marriage some say wrong, My wife should be my NOK ..... I said I can only change my NOK to my wife after 10years of marriage or 3 kids whichever comes earlier .... They said my thinking is archaic .....

My own is that NOK should be someone you dearly trust to do justice to your estate as if it were you ..... Wife is the most ideal but NOK being wife at early marriage is what I am yet to wrap my brain about .... Maybe due to Nigerian Factor sha !
Re: Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor by Nobody: 6:29am On Aug 28, 2018
DonroxyII:
NOK should be someone you know will do justice to your estate when you are gone ....
In my office, we were arguing, I said my mama will still be my NOK even after marriage some say wrong, My wife should be my NOK ..... I said I can only change my NOK to my wife after 10years of marriage or 3 kids whichever comes earlier .... They said my thinking is archaic .....

My own is that NOK should be someone you dearly trust to do justice to your estate as if it were you ..... Wife is the most ideal but NOK being wife at early marriage is what I am yet to wrap my brain about .... Maybe due to Nigerian Factor sha !

You're meant to outlive your mama!!!

2 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor by DonroxyII: 10:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
Orla234:

You're meant to outlive your mama!!!

Amen to that . But I will surely change it later now after reasonable level of assurance from wife !!
Re: Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor by keepingmum: 9:34am On Aug 29, 2018
my dad put his very dear brother as next of kin on his docs... well he never got round to changing it....a little over a decade of marriage and 4 children later, he died suddenly.
My uncle also had his own children to fend for as he wasnt as financially ok as my dad was.....guess who's needs came first when my dad's entitlement was paid? Yup, my uncle and his children.... whilst we the immediate blood relatives of the deceased suffered - simply because you dont trust your wife, you let your children suffer
Anyhoo, mum raised us up singlehandledly, today we are graduates, self sufficient and caring for her....and like a nollywood movies, uncle lastlast is in the village, suffering from stroke, kids are roaming aimlessly, wives abandoned him
and i am sure dad is regretting the decision he made in the land of the dead.....i still love my dad as if he didnt make the choices he did, i would never have learnt the survival instincts and resilience i have learnt today

2 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor by cococandy(f): 3:35pm On Aug 29, 2018
Men think they are being smart when they deliberately hurt their immediate families to prove that they are (I don’t even know what they are trying to prove). Sorry about your case. Glad it all worked out

keepingmum:
my dad put his very dear brother as next of kin on his docs... well he never got round to changing it....a little over a decade of marriage and 4 children later, he died suddenly.
My uncle also had his own children to fend for as he wasnt as financially ok as my dad was.....guess who's needs came first when my dad's entitlement was paid? Yup, my uncle and his children.... whilst we the immediate blood relatives of the deceased suffered - simply because you dont trust your wife, you let your children suffer
Anyhoo, mum raised us up singlehandledly, today we are graduates, self sufficient and caring for her....and like a nollywood movies, uncle lastlast is in the village, suffering from stroke, kids are roaming aimlessly, wives abandoned him
and i am sure dad is regretting the decision he made in the land of the dead.....i still love my dad as if he didnt make the choices he did, i would never have learnt the survival instincts and resilience i have learnt today

1 Like

Re: Next Of Kin: The Nigerian Factor by NoToPile: 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2018
I watch men in amazement when they put their brothers as next of kin when they are married.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Advice Needed About Getting Married / Household and office items for quick sale / Please Advise - Is He Being Reasonable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.