Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,948 members, 7,845,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Re: Degeneration Of Igbo Nation - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Re: Degeneration Of Igbo Nation (705 Views)

The Beauty Of Igbo Isiagu Attire / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Re: Degeneration Of Igbo Nation by Abagworo(m): 2:34am On Jun 28, 2010
Monday, June 28, 2010

Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
I refer to the masterpiece of an article entitled as above, written by one Valentine Obienyem of Awka, published in your Friday 28th May 2010 edition, at page 19.
I come from Anambra State, too, but I have lived in Lagos for 40 years, since 1970!

After reading the said article by Mr. Obienyem, I shed tears of joy that some people are now condemning (like Obienyem) some of the degenerating practices of Ndigbo, especially where it relates to burial ceremonies, etc. His views are in tandem with mine, which I had humbly articulated in my book, entitled: “LEGACY” published in 2006 where I forbade my family (and all the readers of the book) from spending lavishly over my funeral whenever it occurs.

I wrote that my coffin must be the cheapest in the market; that there must be no shoes and wristwatch on me and that my clothes must not be new but one of those which I had won for at least two years. I listed many other don’ts, the aim is to minimize to the barest what they have to spend just to bury me. I closed the admonition by stating: “If any guest complains or does not like the “minimum expenses” exhibited at my burial, let him/her wait until he/she dies so that his/her own family would “teach” mine how to be expensive and extravagant”! I still stand by it.

If only those of us who are opposed to the funeral-vanity-show would advise our families in advance (like me) the ugly practice (e.g. a souvenir/ take-away at a funeral) will be greatly reduced. Otherwise our people (Ndigbo) would soon stand our culture and decency on the head, in a mad bid to copy another culture.

Dr Ogbunugafor writes from Surulere, Lagos, P.O. Box 5659 Surulere Post Office [101014]
Re: Re: Degeneration Of Igbo Nation by asha80(m): 8:46pm On Jun 28, 2010
This aspect of igbo culture needs to be reviewed as the money spent on burials can be outrageous.

(1) (Reply)

Learn Fashion Designing From Home (private Tutor) 08035497328 / Your Safety Tools / A Letter From Mum And Dad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.