Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,935 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Red Alert: That Private Driver Can Be A Robber, Police Warn Employers - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Red Alert: That Private Driver Can Be A Robber, Police Warn Employers (899 Views)

I’m Destined To Be A Robber Teenage Robbery Suspect Photo / Naval Officer Mistaken For A Robber, Lynched In Abuja / I’m Now A Political Thug! I'm No Longer A Robber: Suspect [Pictured] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Red Alert: That Private Driver Can Be A Robber, Police Warn Employers by harakiri(m): 4:56am On Jun 28, 2010
Detectives in Lagos have arrested members of a gang, which specialized in applying and getting employment as drivers, only to steal the vehicles they were employed to drive. The prime suspect, Solomon Anakim, 37, and two suspected buyers of stolen vehicles, Israel Bassey and John Essien, were arrested in Akwa Ibom State, by detectives from the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS), Adeniji Adele, Lagos.

Other members of the syndicate are at large. Daily Sun was told that Anakim and members of the gang had stolen and sold many vehicles before he (Anakim) stole Nissan Xterra jeep in Lagos, which gave him away. The jeep was stolen from Mr. Victor Adebayo, the same day he employed Anakim as his driver. Adebayo told Daily Sun how he entered into a bank, after Anakim drove him to the place only to come out to discover that the driver had vanished in the vehicle.

Adebayo said he bought the jeep for N2.1 million but the suspect claimed he sold it to Israel Bassey for N1.8 million, claiming he was only paid N1.2 million. The suspect also confessed stealing Rav 4 Jeep and selling it to Bassey. “I live in Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State. I came to Lagos and was squatting with my friend, Bello. He linked me up with Adebayo for employment as a driver. I stole the Nissan Xterra Jeep the same day I was employed and drove it to Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. I sold it to Bassey for N1.8 million but he paid me N1.2 million and took the balance of N600, 000, as his own share of the deal. This is the fifth stolen vehicle I have sold,” he said.

By his account, Gabriel stole four vehicles and gave him to sell. He disclosed how Gabriel stole the Rav 4 Jeep from his employer living in Gowon Estate, Lagos, the same day he was employed as a driver.
“We sold the Honda Civic that Gabriel brought to John Essien at N1.4 million. I got N400, 000 out of the money. I have made over N3 million since we started stealing vehicles. I used the money to sponsor my two siblings in the university. I have a boutique in Akwa Ibom State, filled with clothes, worth over N800, 000. I am advising people not to get involved in this type of illegal business,” Anakim said.

He explained that the first stolen vehicle he sold was a Toyota 4-Runner Jeep, stolen by Gabriel. According to him, he sold it for N1.2 million and gave N700, 000 to Gabriel. Anakim also confessed how he stole a Toyota Yaris in Lagos from a female employer, the same day he was given an employment letter, and drove it to Akwa Ibom State, sold it for N1.8 million and was paid only N800, 000, by the car dealer who bought it. Bassey, from Akwa Ibom State, said he was a licensed auto dealer, adding that Anakim only brought three vehicles to his office.

He said: “He brought only three vehicles to my office. The first one was a Rav 4 jeep. I was interviewing him, when people came to buy it. He only paid N28, 000 to me, for using my office. The only vehicle he sold to me was a Nissan Xterra jeep. The other one was a Toyota Camry, which he said, Anakim’s friend, Japheth, sold to his boss.

“He sold the jeep for N1.8 million and paid N34, 000 to me for using my office,” Bassey said.
Essien, 40, who claimed to be Bassey’s business partner before they parted ways, admitted that Anakim brought a Honda Hitec car, with a Lagos State registration number for him to buy. “The documents bear the name of a new generation bank. I only took him to a buyer and he (buyer) paid him N1.5 million. Anakim gave me N160, 000,” Essien claimed.

Meanwhile, the commissioner of police in-charge of FSARS, Mr. Jubril Adeniji, has urged Nigerians to always vet people before they employ them as drivers, as some of them only have the intention of stealing their employer’s vehicle.

Source : http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/crimewatch/2010/june/24/crimewatch-24-06-2010-001.htm
Re: Red Alert: That Private Driver Can Be A Robber, Police Warn Employers by flasha(m): 3:48pm On Jul 01, 2010
robbers?
Re: Red Alert: That Private Driver Can Be A Robber, Police Warn Employers by flasha(m): 9:19pm On Jul 13, 2010
;d ;d

(1) (Reply)

46-yr-old Arrested Over Mother’s Death / Lawyer Petitions Ig, Obi Over Father's Kidnapping / Video Of The Lynching Of 5 Old People In An African Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.