Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 (42844 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Folorunso Alakija In 1973 As A Secretary / Church Member Gives Nigeria’s Old £1 Note Used Between 1907-1973 As Offering / The Currency Exchange Rates For Today, September 11, 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by thaoriginator: 6:18pm On Aug 28, 2018
femi4:

Kobo was derived from "Copper" a general term for coins in the olden days because of the material most of the coins were made of.
source? grin

1 Like

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Duru1(m): 6:27pm On Aug 28, 2018
Nigeria Arrived In Rotten Amala (Naira). Yari.ba always think of Amala.

1 Like

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 28, 2018
Aldebaran:
Nice ...

Obafemi Awolowo...

Nigerias greatest Politician of all time grin

In case you don't know :
Solid education foundation put in place by Chief Obafemi Awolowo helped to put the old Western Region and its people ahead of other regions of the the federation till the present time.

1 Like

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by BabaO2: 6:34pm On Aug 28, 2018
selemempe:
lol...whether igbo rule or not....anytime i realise that the igbo tribe are the most successful tribe per capita in nigeria...i just smile and feel content.

When i look at the north, the west and bayelsa and look at enugu...i see no reason to be angry say we neva rule....now just imagine if we rule....
How do you measure your so called success? , stop talking like a bush man.
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Greenback: 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2018
thaoriginator:
source? grin

Your rectum

grin
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by blackboy2star(m): 6:36pm On Aug 28, 2018
HAHAHAA... HOPE YOU WON'T KEEP IT INSIDE PEAK MILK TIN (BABA SALA)

godofuck231:

come make I use Kobo spray you
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by dmola(m): 6:58pm On Aug 28, 2018
informative
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by dmola(m): 7:00pm On Aug 28, 2018
we learn everyday ....nice one
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by MrSly(m): 7:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
Aldebaran:
Nice ...

Obafemi Awolowo...

Nigerias greatest Politician of all time grin

In case you don't know :
Solid education foundation put in place by Chief Obafemi Awolowo helped to put the old Western Region and its people ahead of other regions of the the federation till the present time.
Till the present time indeed!
Six Nigerian girls smashed the rest of the world in tech competition and they are not from the west. WAEC just released the list of best performed states in the just concluded 2018 exams and no western state made it 1st or 2nd.
FREE EDUCATION IS NOT SOUND EDUCATION!

1 Like

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by lyricalpontiff(m): 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
Never Allow Igbos Rule Again is the acronym for NAIRA

1 Like

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by saintol(m): 7:32pm On Aug 28, 2018
To spell Nigeria in Yoruba will be "Naijiria" while to buy in Yoruba means "Ra". So he took the first three letters from the Yoruba version of Nigeria which is " Nai" and now merged it with "ra" which gives us "Naira". That is how he arrived at it.

2 Likes

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by stevups(m): 7:33pm On Aug 28, 2018
GOFRONT:
shocked

But why is it that Naira Mint, New mint notes are mostly used by the Rich men of Nigeria??
Everything about the poor has to be poor. One has to make it!
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Bianda24: 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2018
It has not conveyed anything
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Neddyogu(m): 8:01pm On Aug 28, 2018
So what did he collapse to form 'kobo'? Nonsense and ingrediens mtttttcccchhhhwwwww
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Biggestboy1(m): 8:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
TissuePaper:
Pls where can I get very clean naira notes?
Union bank
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by mubeela(m): 8:06pm On Aug 28, 2018
Thank God that the ineffectual buffoon did nt succeed in introducing the 5000 naira note
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by tobenuel(m): 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2018
come let us reason together!. Gowon really messed up this country, he spoilt the country, he has always been clueless. he tumbled Biafra from emerging, he changed the nigerian pounds to naira. now has the naira any value?. everything's messed. i saw a human being here scream "the igbos must never rule", now has anything come out of the rulership of the hausas,yorubas,south south,fulanis etc?. let them keep ruling. nothing will come out. am waiting for a revolution!.
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Mpanyi: 8:15pm On Aug 28, 2018
Disappointed me. Couldn't see how the name was coined?
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by femi4: 8:16pm On Aug 28, 2018
thaoriginator:
source? grin
I thought google is free
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by femi4: 8:21pm On Aug 28, 2018
Mpanyi:
Disappointed me. Couldn't see how the name was coined?
NigeRIA

He used four letters "NRIA" and added another "A" to make it NAIRA
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Ajalekoko76(m): 8:31pm On Aug 28, 2018
The legacy of Awolowo lives...

May God grant Awo heavenly home.
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Fawklicant: 8:58pm On Aug 28, 2018
Nwodosis:
How come it is only the history of Biafra war that we frown at?

A nation that is selective of which part of its history it wants to remember can never move forward. It's as simple as that. If you don't learn from the mistakes of history, that same history is bound to repeat itself.
America still teaches about their civil war over 200+ years later. Kids in 4th grade know it. There's always a lesson to learn from misfortune.
If I was a movie producer, I could make 50 movies on the civil war and barely scratch the surface. So many angles to spin a story from without being partisan or appearing to empathise with any particular group.

Oh well! But what do I know?
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by DEHVEHLOP(m): 9:00pm On Aug 28, 2018
It can only be southwest!

For the other side of the south, na crimes!

Awolowo amaka
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Oduwils222(m): 9:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
Macopol01:
Space for sale

HOW MUCH?
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by ebenholer(m): 9:07pm On Aug 28, 2018
What comes to mind of Nigeria on this issue on Naira naming now is bias. They would be thinking that why can't Awolowo be from the north or east. What a divided nation.
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Premiumwriter: 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
Macopol01:
Best politician I ever know argue with your keyboard
what's with all this "argue with your keyboard" or "come and beat me"?

Its childish

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Fawklicant: 9:31pm On Aug 28, 2018
MrSly:

Till the present time indeed!
Six Nigerian girls smashed the rest of the world in tech competition and they are not from the west. WAEC just released the list of best performed states in the just concluded 2018 exams and no western state made it 1st or 2nd.
FREE EDUCATION IS NOT SOUND EDUCATION!

Some people are delusional. He doesn't even know that the Igbos have been at the helm of affairs right from the 1930s. Yorubas tried to play catch up hence the introduction of free education by Awolowo, a very good legacy to bequeath to his people. From civil service to military top echelon to business and trade etc Igbos were everywhere, hence the ensuing igbophobia The civil war changed all that and the rest of Nigeria seized the opportunity to right some perceived wrongs which saw the Igbo man relegated to the private sector in which he still excels today.
The truth is Igbos are designed to thrive in any condition. Create as many bottlenecks as you desire and they would still thrive, not survive. Someone up there said Igbos would never rule! Well, it is that entitlement mentality that has kept some people stagnated for decades.

2 Likes

Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 28, 2018
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by wasi9ice: 10:09pm On Aug 28, 2018
Iceman2017:
Never allow Igbo's rule again. Shikina grin grin cheesy
why are you afraid?
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by SammyJac(m): 10:49pm On Aug 28, 2018
I asked my late uncle same question, do you know what his response was?
KILL OJUKWU BEFORE OTHERS
It was carefully planned and meticulously delivered but the person whose brain child it was never knew that the offspring of a lion can never eat grass.
"Nwa agu adighi eri ahihia"
INTERMAN:
What of KOBO
Re: How Was "Naira" Coined? Obafemi Awolowo Coined The Currency Name, Naira, In 1973 by Bogrey: 12:20am On Aug 29, 2018
selemempe:
lol...whether igbo rule or not....anytime i realise that the igbo tribe are the most successful tribe per capita in nigeria...i just smile and feel content.

When i look at the north, the west and bayelsa and look at enugu...i see no reason to be angry say we neva rule....now just imagine if we rule....

Good reply

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Exchange Rates Today / Man Cries Out As His Goods Worth Millions Floats On Water In Ariaria (video) / About Computer Village,ikeja,lagos State.(largest I.T Market In Nigeria)pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.