Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,156 members, 7,825,613 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? (10594 Views)

Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 / Nigerian Players In South African League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by honeric01(m): 10:54am On Jul 05, 2010
Uhmm, interesting,

Anyone with Yakubu's info? undecided
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by AndreUweh(m): 11:00am On Jul 05, 2010
Ibime:

I know for a fact that Bartholomew Ogbeche was labour prefect of FGC Okigwe in 1996.

If he was 17/18 at the time, that makes him 30/31 now, although he's claiming 25.

Not accepted as you do not have a first hand evidence. What makes you feel the informant has not lied to you?. Moreover, the girl doesn't know footie and might not have known Ogbeche very well.
Having said that, if by your maths, he is 31, fair enough, compared to 41 or thereabout being quoted by some fellows.
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by bawomolo(m): 11:51pm On Jul 05, 2010
dayokanu:

Obinna Nsofor claims he was born 1987

He has played 5 seasons in Europe , 3 for Chievo, 1 for Inter and 1 for Malaga.

Before going to Europe He played for Kwara United, Plateau United, Enyimba and for Internazionale in Brazil

Do the Maths.

I knew Taiye Taiwo at Pako Stadium in Iyana Ipaja in 1995-96 where they play "Jeun Jeun" and he looks like a 20yr old then, cos he was a "Bros" to me, dem no born me well make I call am by name.

But now 15yrs later he is 23. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked God dey.

John Owoeri was well know around Shitta around 2001 as he comes there to smoke Kpoli with dem Idris Abdulkarim and he was in his late 20's five years later he became U21.

That pot bellied player that went to Japan 2007 U17 with Crisantus set Akinsola, In 2003 went for trials in India and came back a year later, He has a wife and kids and lives around Oworonsoki, When they won the U17 trophy, His wife spoil for everybody wey dey the area.

He was 16yrs old in 2007 shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

taye taiwo must have benjamin buttons syndrome lol
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by AndreUweh(m): 10:43pm On Jul 06, 2010
bawomolo:

taye taiwo must have benjamin buttons syndrome lol
Respect please.
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by DrKitaun(m): 7:48am On Jul 07, 2010
Anybody arguing Adokiye is 54 is an impotent retardo !

Forget looks or stature, my father is almost 80 but looks younger and smarter than Adokiye, so what are u on about ?
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Ibime(m): 7:02am On Jul 08, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

my father is almost 80 but looks younger and smarter than Adokiye

This is what we call the "Alomo Bitters" effect! grin
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by dayokanu(m): 10:27pm On Jul 08, 2010
Ibime:

This is what we call the "Alomo Bitters" effect! grin

How you take know Alomo bitters Ibime?
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by bawomolo(m): 12:18am On Jul 09, 2010
he frequently takes concoctions for his "performance" issues.
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by DrKitaun(m): 3:43am On Jul 09, 2010
DK

u dey ask Ibime wey be kain kain master dat kain question ?

Borokiri bobo 4 dat matter !
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Ibime(m): 7:23am On Jul 09, 2010
dayokanu:

How you take know Alomo bitters Ibime?

We get am for London here sef. . . abi una no get am for Houston?
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by dayokanu(m): 3:17pm On Jul 09, 2010
Ibime:

We get am for London here sef. . . abi una no get am for Houston?

Omo last night na so I go take Alomo plus Redbull. Yeparipa. E no easy. My Hyundai turned to BMW instantly.

Na so so multiples for the victim, till the subject matter dry sef but My Bmah still no wan gree

I dey go that Ghanaian store to order more
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:12am On Oct 27, 2011
If we can only ask our Revered SE players why they are not in the same fit shape as their European/South-American colleagues playing at the same age bracket in the same league by the time they are 25 (Football Age)
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Ideas4life(m): 11:55am On Oct 27, 2011
As much as I can, i try to avoid posting comments on issues. But this topic caught my fancy. I have taken my time to go through the comments that have been posted, and I will try to add my 2kobo worth.

1. Football is NOT a fair and honest sport; there is an erroneous believe that Africans are the biggest cheaters in the world of football. AGE CHEAT IS AN ACROSS-THE-BOARD ISSUE. I have taken my time to do some research, and will present facts to back this up as you read through.

2. FIFA is very much aware of the fact stated in 1 above, and will NOT take concrete steps to check it. Having said that, it should be noted that in some ways, FIFA is handicapped in this situation. So the big question is: has anyone been caught in this age cheat crime? If yes, what was the punishment? FIFA's resolve to slam a heavy punishment on any offender and the accompanying FA will be seen as the biggest indication that it is indeed willing to combat age cheat.

3. There is one simple reason why Nigerian players are unable to compete with their counterparts around the world as time goes on. This is also true for African players and some Asian as well as South American talents; POOR LOCAL LEAGUE STANDARDS.

The local league sustains a talent. Look at Gotze, Neymar, Schurrle et al, and the many talents currently emanating from Germany. These guys where propelled and sustained by their local leagues.

For every Mario Gotze that you see, there are more than 100 Marvin Matip; Players who were fantastic at age group competitions but eventually lost it. The reason it is much more pronounced in Nigeria and some African countries is that we don't have a good league that some of these guys can fall back to, and so they find their way to countries such as Malta etc (no disrespect).

Please read through this report http://www.scribd.com/doc/68509415/Football-Talent-FIFA-Age-Group-Competitions

Yes, some of these guys are indeed very old. Blame the NFF, they aid them in this lying game of age cheat. But my point is this: We can get the best of them irrespective of the age they declare.

Closing posers:
1. How come Siasia never picked at least one of U20 guys that came through the U17 team in 2009?
2. Is it that they were all poor ballers?
3. Why do they have to go through the U17 - U20 - U23 before they eventually get to play for the Super Eagles? Especially when we all know they claim to be,
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Sagamite(m): 12:15pm On Oct 27, 2011
Ideas4life:

1. Football is NOT a fair and honest sport; there is an erroneous believe that Africans are the biggest cheaters in the world of football. AGE CHEAT IS AN ACROSS-THE-BOARD ISSUE. I have taken my time to do some research, and will present facts to back this up as you read through.

I can not see where you used "facts" to back up your assertion?

Please edjucate me where you did.

Or was this is it?

Ideas4life:

Please read through this report http://www.scribd.com/doc/68509415/Football-Talent-FIFA-Age-Group-Competitions

Otherwise what was the point of this link?
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Ideas4life(m): 12:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
Did you observe the disparity between African and European countries, with respect to how long players stay on the scene?
Did you observe that European players got a lower turn out compared to African players?

Please go through the link and draw some conclusion.

Thanks.
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Sagamite(m): 12:46pm On Oct 27, 2011
Ideas4life:

Did you observe the disparity between African and European countries, with respect to how long players stay on the scene?
Did you observe that European players got a lower turn out compared to African players?

Please go through the link and draw some conclusion.

Thanks.

I don't think you understand how to do analysis.

That document is by no means an adequate proof of age cheating.

Tell me, if you have a team like from Seychelles where (lets say) 50% and 80% of their U-17 and U-20 respectively move on to play for the national team while that of Brazil is 13% and 32%, does that mean Brazil are worse age cheats than Seychelles or it tells you Brazil has more options of players and it is more competitive to get a place?

To identify age cheating, a more sensible analysis is to look at what proportion of the old age-grade players that are still playing with top clubs 15 and 10 years later respectively.

If you take 2 teams (Country A and B) that were one of the best teams in an age grade competition like the U-17, where country A dominated and won the tournament.

If 5 years later (not even 10 years), 80% of a country A's players are retired or playing in Iran or division 4 of Germany where they can hardly run anymore.

And country B, 10 years later, has 20% of its players still playing in the top 10 clubs in the world and are considered one of the best in the world. And another 60% of them are playing in the top 2 divisions of the 8 most competitive leagues in the world, then you will know Country A is a country that is fully into age cheating.

So to summarise, your evidence is useless in proving age cheating. If you want to prove age cheating, show stats of what proportion of the age-grade players are still playing with good teams a decade later, not how many got national caps. National caps is dependent on the strength of local pool of players and the inherent competition for places. It is even more useless when the teams you got your cap with is not that good.

If you did that more sensible analysis, you will find that Nigeria is a perfect example of Country A.

Nigeria is a shameless age-cheating nation. A disgraceful national culture. And that cheating is not GLOBAL, it is mainly third world practice ESPECIALLY by Africans.
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Ideas4life(m): 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
If you expect me to reply you with a caustic reply as yours:
To identify age cheating, a more sensible analysis is to look at what proportion of the old age-grade players that are still playing with top clubs 15 and 10 years later respectively.

As much as I can, i try to avoid posting comments on issues. But this topic caught my fancy. I have taken my time to go through the comments that have been posted, and I will try to add my 2kobo worth.

prove me wrong on this :
2. FIFA is very much aware of the fact stated in 1 above, and will NOT take concrete steps to check it. Having said that, it should be noted that in some ways, FIFA is handicapped in this situation. So the big question is: has anyone been caught in this age cheat crime? If yes, what was the punishment? FIFA's resolve to slam a heavy punishment on any offender and the accompanying FA will be seen as the biggest indication that it is indeed willing to combat age cheat.

I find it hard to believe you don't understand this:
3. There is one simple reason why Nigerian players are unable to compete with their counterparts around the world as time goes on. This is also true for African players and some Asian as well as South American talents; POOR LOCAL LEAGUE STANDARDS.

Tell me, if you have a team like from Seychelles where (lets say) 50% and 80% of their U-17 and U-20 respectively move on to play for the national team while that of Brazil is 13% and 32%, does that mean Brazil are worse age cheats than Seychelles or it tells you Brazil has more options of players and it is more competitive to get a place?

That is a good observation. But have you considered this?: where are the other players who have failed to progress? Lets use Brazil as a case study. Most of them are either back home in the local league or Japan, the Arab nations et al. How many of those can our be absorbed ny our league.

Aside European nations, age cheat is a regular issue. I rest my case.
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Sagamite(m): 2:00pm On Oct 27, 2011
Ideas4life:

prove me wrong on this :

Prove you wrong on what?

The statement does not make sense.

FIFA can not [/b]act on age cheats because there is no completely reliable technology or process to clamp down on it and avoid a diplomatic row.

Secondly, FIFA [b]is not willing
to act on it because the countries with the money hardly care about such tournaments, they do not send even their best youths most times. While the age cheat nations like Nigeria that benefit enjoy it so much, glorify their criminal successes and it is one of their few inspirations in the game. It is is win-win for FIFA. No on that matters is complaining, minnows that have no hope of any other achievement in football achieve in the age-grade footbal and are inspired, and football's popularity spreads more to other areas that it would not have spread to if all tournaments are dominated by Europe and South America.

It is not because FIFA thinks Germany and co are using over-age as you ridiculously alluded. Age cheating is solely the domain of nations like NIGERIA!

You did not realise all these?

Ideas4life:

Rubbish!

How does poor local league affects players of a nation that dominate an age-grade competition like "super"-stars from playing abroad.

If the likes of Brazil, Germany and the likes players are still playing at the top 10 years later, how come Nigerian players can not? What is stopping them if not decrepit bones considering you see them getting the permit to play in Div 4 of Germany? Why can't the same players in Div 4 not get permit to play in the Bundesliga like the Brazilians, their poor domestic league or decrepit bones?

RUBBISH!

Ideas4life:

That is a good observation. But have you considered this?: where are the other players who have failed to progress? Lets use Brazil as a case study. Most of them are either back home in the local league or Japan, the Arab nations et al. How many of those can our be absorbed ny our league.

Aside European nations, age cheat is a regular issue. I rest my case.

You don't get the point, do you?

Maybe 30% of Brazilian and Argentine players that Nigeria's old fathers trash silly in age grade competition are playing for Good clubs in Europe 10 years later. Half of these are playing in the best clubs in the world and are normally on the running for FIFA's FoY Top 50. TEN YEARS ON!!!!!

On the other hand, the dominant under-age football nation called Nigeria, has less than 5% of their players playing in good clubs 10 years later. Remember, the Nigerian "boys" are suppose to be better since they were dominant in youth tournament.

Irrespective of where the rest are playing, logic will tell you that at least 20% plus of Nigeria's "youth" players should also still be playing in top clubs if they were not age cheats irrespective of if the remaining 80% are playing in Agege football club.

Your analysis should not be about players that fail to progress, it should be about proportion of players that did progress year after year every 2 years of which we dominate youth competitions.

Cheating is our NATIONAL CULTURE! Stop excusing it. It is not global, we are brutal cheats!
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by Sagamite(m): 10:17am On Oct 28, 2011
Someone is trying to give excuses for our rampart cheating.

Go and look at the history of international world football stars of Brazil and Argentina and check when they started playing for the top local teams. Most start playing for the top team at ages 18 or 19, very rarely some start at 17.

Most times their local people would have known them from ages like 8 because they played in the kiddies circuit and some videos of them playing football at that age exists. VIDEOS WITH THEM LOOKING 8!

Then go and look at the history of our never-can-be international world football stars and see that by "so-called 152 more than half are already playing in the top local team and have already played 2 seasons where they were one of the best players in those 2 seasons. The average and most common age of 90% of SE players when they started playing in the top league is 15. Not even Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger etc could achieve that.

Worse still some have been playing in various secondary and U-17 youth competitions for 8 years before they finally entered the national U-17 team. They finished secondary school at the age of 8 and are married by 15. Then we have them looking like Stanley Okoro.

Yet some people want to live in denial and console themselves that "no be only us dey cheat na, so wetin be big deal".

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkgaI6HJtWI&feature=related[/flash]

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDk-PQlcQT4&feature=related[/flash]

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptBMUVk--G0&feature=related[/flash]
Re: What Is Your Guestimate Of Nigerian Players True Age? by babyboy3(m): 1:09pm On Oct 28, 2011
One of the reason Arsene Wenger wanted to boot out Kanu was because he was becoming slower whilst henry was getting faster and this was around 2002-03 season but Kanu was adamant that he wont he forced out, but he would see out his contract. because as at 2002/03 Kanu was meant to be reaching his peak and stats showed that his reaction with or without the ball is slower than when he arrived. I could remember the U17 we won in Korea in 2007, that same tournament that produced Borjan and Toni Kroos, one is at Roma and the other at Munich but the Nigerians that were shooting from all angles have faded away from the football scene! Xavi Fernandez was in the same tournament as Agahowa where is Agahowa whereas Xavi has got an extended contract to 2016.

The last U17 tournament that we took off like a train on fire but in the end fatigue took its toll and our men couldnt run again, the one we hosted, our players hitting 30 - 40 yards hollywood passes, thats when I knew something wasnt right, but looking at Stanley Okoro arguing with his colleague and when he opened his mouth you could easily judge from his dental set that this guy is not below 28 years. we have our problems, the former U21 coach Tunde Disu was asking players to pay N250k just to be in the squad, now tell me where do you expect an under 21years old player to get 250k unless he is already playing pro in europe.

Until we get caught and spend between 3-5 years in the wilderness without no international footie then we wont learn. when you look at a teams like Ghana who could tell the likes of Muntari, Appiah and Essien to get lost but the Super eagles if they had the chance we would bring Okocha out of retirement.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

WORLD CUP SPECIAL(back to back winnings already)5odds daily for pay after win / Week 29 Pool Fixtures For Sat 21 Jan 2023 – UK 2022/2023 / Netherlands Appoint Former Manchester United Boss Louis Van Gaal As Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.