Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Ways To Make Money From Photography. - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Ways To Make Money From Photography. (304 Views)

How Can I Get My Money From African Alliance Insurance Company? / Can I Withdraw Money From Skrill To My Nigeria Naira Account? / How To Make Money From Wema Bank ALAT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ways To Make Money From Photography. by crownson(m): 7:41am On Aug 30, 2018
There are lots of different ways to make money from photography these days, however it is harder than ever to make a living off of photography. More and more people are getting involved and taking great photos and that means that the market is more diluted than ever. With that being said, it isn’t impossible to be successful.

Before I begin, I want to offer you my #1 tip for making money with photography. Learn to market via social media. Read some books, take some online courses, or learn from Youtube. These days, so many people take good photos, and the age of just taking good photos and getting attention is past. That is why I recommend learning social media, as for me personally this is where all of my business comes from.

Every photographer uses social media, but if you utilise it effectively then you can get ahead of the competition and you will get more money in the long run because of it. Even if you need to invest in social media advertising, it is well worth it.

Learning marketing doesn’t have to be costly. Just buy a few books (I like audio books), watch some videos or if you can spend a bit more then take some online courses. Trust me, this will put you one step ahead of many, many other photographers.

Okay, so with that out of the way let’s get started. These are the most common ways to make money from photography, along with some of the best paying.

1. Become a professional niche photographer. This is probably the hardest but best paying, and this includes wedding photographers, paparazzi, family or portrait photographers, etc. These people get paid a lot, however there is also a high barrier of entry. Usually thousands and thousands of dollars of gear is required, and experience and connections also help a lot. There are people far more suited to talk about this so I will leave it at that.

2. Stock photography. This is another method that is very popular amongst many photographers as it can result in a passive income if people like your photos. Stock photography essentially means that you are selling the image to others for person (and sometimes commercial) use. They have the rights to use your photo and you receive a one-off payment. There are many sites for this such as Adobe Stock, Shutter Stock, and hundreds more.

3. Become an ‘influencer’. I hate this word, but I don’t know what else to call this. This method isn’t about directly making money from your photos, but it is about making money based on the social following you have gained because of them. Companies are on the lookout for influencers that they can use to advertise their goods and services, and if you have a large following then you will definitely receive some of these offers. Whether you make a decent amount of money varies a lot based on your followers, theme, and luck, but it is a nice way to make a little money on the side.

4. Sell your photos to local businesses. This one requires some footwork, but it is a great method and will get you known more locally. Basically this involves printing off some of your better photos and going around to cafes, bars, restaurants, etc, and offering your photography for use as decorations. The price of these prints will depend on a lot of factors, but this method is great for getting you recognised locally.

This is one of my favourite photos to sell (or attempt to anyway) to local places. Since it is representative of the city and it has a famous landmark it is perfect for cafe walls.

* Do freelance work. Freelancing is amazing because it allows you to maintain your own schedule and to be your own boss, but it also allows you to make decent money while doing so. You can contact local news agencies and magazines and ask them if they would be interested in hiring you as a freelancer to cover an event coming up. After a while you will build up your connections and work will become easier and easier to get.

* Start your own business! This one takes some thinking, time, and a great idea, but is often the most rewarding. Depending on what type of work interests you most you can try and create a niche business around this specific line of work. This allows you to keep doing what you love while making money at the same time. This is what I personally do - I turned my photography into a blog which I then turned into many other things. Now I get a small (although growing) passive income, and a lot of jobs from it. If you are interested in checking it out feel free to have a look here: Seoulinspired.

The main thing to keep in mind is to continue taking photos that you love. If you are always taking the style of photo that you like, eventually people will come to you asking for a photograph taken in your style. If you learn about social media marketing this will be an even better path!

(1) (Reply)

Happy Money Making / Fuel Dispersers And Pumps / Alert From Facebook Research Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.