Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,162 members, 7,838,975 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Senate President Bukola Saraki Joins 2019 Presidential Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate President Bukola Saraki Joins 2019 Presidential Race (267 Views)

Saraki Joins Other Muslims To Pray For Nigeria (Photo) / ExIyiola Oyedepo Dumps PDP In Kwara Because Of Saraki, Joins APC (Photo) / "What We Will Do If Saraki Joins PDP" – Abdullahi Adamu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Senate President Bukola Saraki Joins 2019 Presidential Race by mretchie: 5:42pm On Aug 30, 2018
Senate President Bukola Saraki on Thursday declared to challenge President Muhammadu Buhari for presidency in Nigeria’s 2019 general election.
Saraki made the declaration while delivering a keynote address at a dialogue for youths and young aspirants in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.

“I hereby announce my intention to run for the office of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the coming General Elections in 2019 on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). I do so with the firm conviction that I have what it takes to secure inclusive growth for Nigeria and Nigerians,” he said.

Saraki, who is the Senate President, has been under immense pressure from the ruling party APC to resign or face impeachment by APC senators since his defection from the majority party to the minority PDP.

Concise News recalls that the Senate President’s declaration is coming a day after he met with the immediate past President of the country, Goodluck Jonathan in Abuja.

During the meeting, Jonathan lauded Saraki’s leadership style at the National Assembly. He noted that without Saraki’s leadership ability, the National Assembly would have been in chaos and democracy would have been gone.

His words: “Senate President, let me use this opportunity to commend your leadership abilities. Looking at what is happening in the country, if not for your strong leadership, probably the National Assembly would have been in chaos and if the National Assembly is in tatters, then of course, democracy is gone”, Jonathan said.

“I am quite pleased with the kind of relationship you have with the House of Representatives members and how you have been able to hold the National Assembly together because on the day that the parliament was invaded, though the target was the Senate, the House of Representatives members were as active as, if not more active, than the senators; and that cannot happen by chance.

“What we know is that if there is an assault on the Senate. Then it is also seen as an assault on the House of Representatives. If they (House of Representatives members) don’t believe in you, I don’t think some of them would have taken that kind of risk. That commitment shows that they believe in your leadership”, Jonathan was quoted as saying in a statement by Saraki’s Chief Press Secretary, Sanni Onogu.

[b]READ MORE: [/b]https://gossiploud.com/2018/08/30/senate-president-bukola-saraki-joins-2019-presidential-race/

Cc lalasticlala
Cc Seun
Cc Dominique
Cc mynd44
Cc farano
Cc Rocktation

(1) (Reply)

Edo Oil Producing Communities Hail Obaseki For New Focus Of EDSOGPADEC / APC Reaffirms How Presidential Candidate Will Emerge / Amosun Officially Declares Ambition For Senate In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.