Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! (1205 Views)

PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 / Meet Wole Olanipekun; Tinubu's Lead Counsel At The Presidential Tribunal / Wole Olanipekun, 49 Others To Defend Tinubu At Electoral Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by tomakint: 6:50am On Sep 01, 2018
Chief Wole Olanipekun SAN (OFR) Wrote:

Some people don’t know and some pretend not to know that law has its technicalities-both civil and criminal proceedings. They talk of technicalities and say that lawyers delay cases, look, without being immodest; I have been involved in a lot of cases in this country.

I have defended a lot of people. During the run-up to the 2015 elections, I was one of the lawyers hired on pro bono basis to defend the All Progressives Congress and its candidate, Muhammadu Buhari. We employed all the tactics available, employable and allowable in the legal profession; why didn’t they blame us then? If we didn’t, the election would not have held.

If you do that today, some people, even within the profession, will blame you. I know what I’m talking about. The election was to hold on a Saturday and Justice Gabriel Kolawole of the Federal High Court, Abuja, said he was going to deliver his judgement on whether or not card readers should be used by the Independent National Electoral Commission on Thursday, two days to the election. We filed preliminary objection, he overruled it. I was in court with Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), Akin Olujinmi (SAN), and Kola Awodein, (when) Asiwaju Bola Tinubu sent an aircraft to pick me in Akure, saying that if we were not in court, the election would not hold. There are things that need to be unveiled in this country. Tinubu, Babatunde Fashola (former Lagos State Governor), the Vice President (Prof. Yemi Osinbajo), Lai Mohammed, the AGF (Abubakar Malami) were in the know. And Kolawole overruled us. Then he called the plaintiff and said, can you go ahead with originating summons? I will deliver my judgement tomorrow. Like someone who was possessed, I rose up and said I was applying for stay of proceedings. Then the other lawyer interjected and asked for my formal application. I gave him two authorities offhand that I could apply orally. That was two days to the election. Kolawole said well, whatever it is; I would want to listen to you. He listened to me. We did it pro bono in the sense that the APC hasn’t paid us. Nobody even wrote a letter to say thank you. Then thereafter, he wrote a ruling and granted stay of proceedings 48 hours to the election. The Supreme Court later held that, though the card reader was a good innovation, it was not yet in the law.

Would Buhari have been President if we had not done that? What could be more technical than that? They filed action against Buhari, we looked at it; we raised objections and we were dragging that. Is that not technicality? And some people will now accuse me when I do it for other people that I’m defending looters. But when you do it for them, it is right; that is double standard. And what baffles me is that some high lawyers, who should know better, also accuse some lawyers of defending looters? To hell with anybody who has looted the treasury. I believe in my profession and I thank God for what I am. I am a fulfilled person and don’t want any position from any government, but then government should allow those of us who are privately engaged to do our work. In our offices in Lagos and Abuja, we have over 75 members of staff- professionals and supporting staff. We pay more than what the government pays and don’t owe workers. A cleaner in my office earns far more than what government calls minimum wage. And when you say someone is a looter, who is a looter?

Anybody who loots will have his day in court and God will punish looters, but at the same time, judge not, so that you are not judged. And let the accused person defend himself. All religions give room for fair hearing. I grew up to know that when people came to my father to settle disputes, he would say ‘e je ko so tie, agba ti o gbo ejo enikan dajo, agba osika ni’ (let him say his side of the story; an elder who bases his judgement on only one side of the story is wicked). I grew up to know that. So you don’t want people to be heard? If that is the case, change the constitution. So once someone is accused, he is arrested and taken to prison. Then, abolish the courts. That is my position. And what goes around comes around. You may be the accuser today, tomorrow; it may be your turn to face accusations. Let the law take its course.

It is tyrannical, dictatorial and smacks of militarism when you start accusing lawyers who defend people. You cannot have democracy without free speech and people having access to courts. You cannot be the accuser, the lawyer and the judge. They say lawyers and judges delay the prosecution of looters, then if they have already been adjudged looters, don’t prosecute them. It is only a court of law that can come to the conclusion that someone has looted the treasury after evidence has been produced.

I believe in anti-corruption, you know, I said earlier that woe betide anybody who has looted the treasury or any person who uses his position to amass wealth. But when you keep on describing Nigeria as a country that is corrupt, investors will stay off. And if you know some judges are corrupt, deal with them, but don’t go to another country to say that the judiciary in your country is corrupt; nobody will come there because it is about investment and the rule of law.

And when you talk of corruption among lawyers, who are the people? It takes two to tango. Let every politician in Nigeria swear by the god of thunder that he has not tried to induce a judge.

Let the President take a cue from the United States President, Barack Obama. George W. Bush squandered American funds on the Gulf War as President of the US because he wanted Saddam Hussein by all means –dead or alive- after the September 11 attack. The economy of the US was comatose when Obama took over, but did you hear him say any bad thing about Bush? He had his own agenda. He started issuing presidential orders and proclamations and within two or three years, the economy was revived without him condemning anybody.

To me, government is a continuum. I’m not in the Peoples Democratic Party or the APC; I don’t even see any difference between the two of them when it is so easy for the PDP people to move to the APC and immediately become progressives. You don’t sell that to me. Mr. President.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:52am On Sep 01, 2018
And when you talk of corruption among lawyers, who are the people? It takes two to tango. Let every politician in Nigeria swear by the god of thunder that he has not tried to induce a judge. 

We know one, and his name is ..........

PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by SolutionMee: 6:58am On Sep 01, 2018
cheesy

The creature above me though

No hate

Nah just envy

2 Likes

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by ashjay001(m): 7:25am On Sep 01, 2018
Source?
Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by iammo(m): 8:04am On Sep 01, 2018
truth is FG and EFCC patronize lightweight lawyers, and EFCC's investigation is too basic, they just assume since you have money in your account and some properties tied to you and your relations. that's enough reason to jail you. rather conducting investigation diligently like nuhu ribadu did and hiring lawyers like afe babalola SAN. The moment APC gets to know its member is linked to any of the ongoing cases they quickly go silent, just like a judge who was raided confessed to collecting money from buhari's legal team during his SSCE result saga, the whole case went off radar. Similar to when dasuki also made confession on open trial that he offered Buhari some money and some bullet proof SUV. FG panicked and decided to lock him away indefinitely insisting on secret trials

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by SadiqBabaSani: 8:07am On Sep 01, 2018
The bastard barbeque idiot is artificially mad

3 Likes

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by babyphaze07(m): 8:13am On Sep 01, 2018
Anyone who works for the opposition is an enemy to APC. Why is this govt persecuting this brilliant lawyer who technically help the lifeless and certificateless Buhari to win his case.
Yeye progressives...... Tinubu, Osinbajo, Buhari.... Shame on you all.

1 Like

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by greatdreamer(m): 9:41am On Sep 01, 2018
APC has no moral rights to call PDP members looters as about 65% of APC members are certified looters from PDP being celebrated as progressives.

1 Like

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by ojobek: 10:22am On Sep 01, 2018
post=70797838:

what of the money given to judge by Buhari's lawyer.what would you call that?get sense.

2 Likes

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by magoo10(m): 10:34am On Sep 01, 2018

Would Buhari have been President if we had not done that? What could be more technical than that? They filed action against Buhari, we looked at it; we raised objections and we were dragging that. Is that not technicality? And some people will now accuse me when I do it for other people that I’m defending looters. But when you do it for them, it is right; that is double standard. And what baffles me is that some high lawyers, who should know better, also accuse some lawyers of defending looters?

Buhari is a hypocrite ,his anti corruption fight is not only fraudulent but a cover up to his inefficiency and lifelessness.

1 Like

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by chloride6: 11:46am On Sep 01, 2018
post=70797838:

How can he induce a judge?

He is too busy sending them 500k gifts when they preside over his certificate case.

1 Like

Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:26pm On Sep 01, 2018
SadiqBabaSani:
The bastard barbeque idiot is artificially mad
As long as you cannot quote your family name cos you are so scared to do that, we are cool.
But if you can quote the barbecue guy and type the same thing you typed, go ahead.
Stop hiding to call names coward sadiq sani.
Go ahead and quote and see what happens next.
We dey wait for you o ooo, coward chicken! grin cheesy wink
Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by PVision2020(m): 7:38pm On Sep 01, 2018
The three arms (Executive, Parliament, Judiciary) of our government are neck in corruption.
It's only in Nigeria that you'll find judges with basic salary of about 1m living large like a Bank MD and Directors of multinational coys.
Imaging a Dino melaiye (like all the other politicians) with no business nor work history (aside politics) flaunting luxurious cars that would make even sportsmen and popstars jealous.

Our judicial system is like a cobweb, "too strong for the weak, but too weak for the strong"
The BIG BOYS get away with everything while the poor boy get incarcerated for stealing Nokia 3310, just to save himself from starvation caused deliberately by the BIG BOYS.
Re: Letter Of Boldness From Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)! by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 01, 2018
Absence of rule of law is tantamount to State of lawlessness,according to rule of law as was propounded by A V dicey
More like a surgeon schooling a pilot on how to fly planes, the job of making law should be the prerogative of the legislature, the job of interpretations should be for judiciary, while execution for the executive,

This takes me back to the separation of power theory by Baron de montesquieu, Why should an arm of government armtwist the other, this definitely have led to the rape of our democracy continously because, other arms have been whittled down to spur the much anticipated checks and balances of the overbearing tendencies of the former.

While my ruminations takes me back to hobbesian Mankind state of nature by Thomas hobbes,

Law comes before national security, even on the creationists theory, the sin of Adam against his creator,brought law enforcement, he was guilty as accused after eating of the forbidden fruit which got him clothed made him pay for it, including his accomplice eve and the serpent, immunity taken away, banishment from eden etc.

Will never forget Thomas Jean jacques equality before the law, school of thought. We should be emphasizing strong institutions and not turning individuals into some kind of superhuman figure who would be abusing vested power and authority.

The bastardization of democracy got worsened just like the scenario where an erstwhile accused of corrupt practice, once he crosses over to the incumbent party then he is washed in purity of immaculacy

This transfiguration, beatification,,canonization and sainthood can be likened to the biblical Naaman, who dipped himself seven (7) times in river Jordan and was miraculously washed clean of his leprosy, as earlier instructed by prophet Elisha. Like sani said, deodorants for dem yays and pesticides for dem nays.

Hallelujah my fellow country men, Isn't this the 8th wonder of mankind?

Note this ain't about partisan politics, as much as freedom of speech got to have its limitations, crass indiscriminate flouting of court orders definitely ain't no essential principle nor tenet of democracy, but tyranny.

That the umbrella holders have been guilty of such isn't a justification for the broom wavers to out-do them in such undemocratic practice. If the accused have no right to prove his innocence, then we can as well bury the Constitution, else this gestapo dealings should be done with, only a court judgement can pronounce one guilty, by a competent court of law, and if the prosecutor feels chills of dissatisfaction, they should equally head to court. The law is the law.

No perfect criminal justice system on earth, loopholes, lacunas gonna be exploited, it is part of the game, Nonetheless the more the exploits the more the reforms and the more the better application of our laws.

Any objection?
I rest my case.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Largest States In Nigeria / PDP Wins Osun Election / EFCC Digs Deeper, Releases Photos Of Fayose's Houses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.