Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,792 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent (15992 Views)

Mrs. Eno Mobilizes Women Leaders Against Senate President Akpabio / Xenophobia: FG Faults Fake Videos In Circulation, Warns Against Reprisal Attacks / Offa Robbery: AGF Malami Clears Saraki, Says Police Lack Evidence Against Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by dre11(m): 2:36am On Sep 03, 2018
Posted By: Eric Ikhilae

The Federal Government has faulted a suit by two senators seeking to stop the reopening of the Senate without the consent of Senate President Bukola Saraki.

Senators Rafiu Adebayo (Kwara South) and Isa Misau (Bauchi Central) who initiated the suit were elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). They have defected to the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The government’s position came through its notice of preliminary objection to the suit filed by Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami.

In the objection dated August 17, the AGF urged the court to dismiss the suit and querried the plaintiffs’ locus standi. He urged the court to decline jurisdiction.

The AGF, listed as the 10th defendant, argued that the plaintiffs failed to show that the defendants had done any wrong to warrant being sued.

“My lord, I don’t think this court is so free to allow itself to be used by mischief makers like the plaintiffs in this matter.

“The present suit as constituted has not shown any wrong done to the plaintiffs.

“We submit that the directives or invitation of the Senate President to appear before the Inspector General of Police for further investiagation in line with paragraph 5(f) of the DPPF’s advice cannot create a cause of action in favour of either Saraki himself or the plaintiffs, the AGF said.

“It is pertinent to my lord to state here that if there is a threat to powers of the Senate President as conferred on him by the 1999 Constitution as amended and the Standing Rules of the Senate, the first person to complain and not the plaintiffs also herein, the Senate President, did not raise any alarm that some people are trying to usurp his powers and illegally reconvene the Senate.

“My lord, in determining whether the plaintiffs have the necessary capacity to institute the action, the claim must be examined to see if there is any enforceable right in connection with with the plaintiffs.“

The AGF argued that there must be a nexus between the plaintiffs and the disclosed cause of action concerning their right or obligation which have been breached or threatened to be violated.

The AGF contended that section 6(6)(b) of the 1999 constitution is to the effect that for a person to be able to institute an action in court, he must be able to show that he has the right and obligation to do so and failure to do so would cause him/her injustice.

The government urged the court to decline jurisdictions and hold that the plaintiffs though members of the Senate, are total strangers to the circumstances that gave rise to the suit and hence lack the locus to institute the action.

The AGF insisted that the duty of the plaintiffs is to attend senate business of the 2nd defendant (senate president), through due process, summons the senate to reconvene and carry out their duties as senators and not to invent facts and concort a suit and file same in a court.

The 10th defendant contended that all through the facts in the plaintiffs’ affidavits, “there was nothing showing that the Senate President has complained to the plaintiffs that his powers are being usurped by some agents of the state”.

The AGF said since every declaration and order sought by the plaintiffs in the suit are directly for the benefit of the Senate President, the plaintiffs lacked locus standi to commence the suit and that the court lacks jurisdiction to hear and determine the plaintiffs’ suit. Hearing has been fixed for September 13.

http://thenationonlineng.net/fed-govt-faults-suit-against-senate-reopening-without-sarakis-consent/

[l
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:37am On Sep 03, 2018
The government urged the court to decline jurisdictions and hold that the plaintiffs though members of the Senate, are total strangers to the circumstances that gave rise to the suit and hence lack the locus to institute the action.
We hoping the court do something concerning this issue ASAP.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by ijustdey: 9:29am On Sep 03, 2018
cc lalasticlala
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by SEONaijaExpert: 9:49am On Sep 03, 2018
The Presidency is law abiding. There's absolutely no iota of desperation from the humble personality of President Buhari.

I see no reason why a PDP senator will make such ridiculous move. It's obvious all is not well with Saraki and those he calls friends are ready to kick the wood he's standing on.

I also condemn this move as I would like Bukola Saraki to be present at any sitting to witness his disgrace.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:49am On Sep 03, 2018
Matters arising once again.
Let the judiciary act fast.
A sane society is all we want.

1 Like

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by brainyvibe1(m): 9:50am On Sep 03, 2018
OK i need more update.
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by ExpiredNigeria: 9:50am On Sep 03, 2018
Ok
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by ArinzeAnthony03: 9:50am On Sep 03, 2018
I see...OK oooo
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by tempex88(m): 9:50am On Sep 03, 2018
I don't understand
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by dukie25: 9:51am On Sep 03, 2018
The Federal Government has faulted a suit by two senators seeking to stop the reopening of the Senate without the consent of Senate President Bukola Saraki.
Fear of Saraki is the beginning of wisdom, ask Tinubu and Bubu.

12 Likes

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Whothecapfits: 9:51am On Sep 03, 2018
A case of Cry than the bereaved.

1 Like

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by tunary(m): 9:51am On Sep 03, 2018
As e dey hot
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by ajbf: 9:52am On Sep 03, 2018
serious
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 03, 2018
grin

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by adisabarber(m): 9:56am On Sep 03, 2018
Calling the plaintiffs mischief makers in front of a judge is wrong

2 Likes

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Jac007(m): 9:56am On Sep 03, 2018
Someone should help with a summary...the story is too ambiguous

1 Like

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Beress(m): 9:57am On Sep 03, 2018
Useless APC and federal govt

3 Likes

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by sureheaven(m): 9:57am On Sep 03, 2018
Saraki’s puppet doing the unjust for him.

It beats my imagination how a Senator becomes errand boy or messenger to their fellow senator.
Are these guys normal at all?

Saraki closed the National Assembly for his selfish interest. He is running around to become president at the expense of Nigeria.
Saraki and his boys are failures.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by kindnyce(m): 9:58am On Sep 03, 2018
Government should take a chill pill and allow the Courts determine whether or not to hear the case.
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by philfrey08: 10:00am On Sep 03, 2018
Jac007:
Someone should help with a summary...the story is too ambiguous

As in eh... I came down to comment section for help

1 Like

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Benekruku(m): 10:03am On Sep 03, 2018
Saraki's political burial is inevitable

Glad he will visit Osun where he will be stoned out and hope he gets the message that the only place he is welcomed is SE and Kwara.

He is just trying to postpone his burial which bis inevitable. it's just time.
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Charleslewizy(m): 10:04am On Sep 03, 2018
the plaintiff
the defendants
the jury
the chief judge
the every every....
They are all mischief makers.

4 Likes

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Racoon(m): 10:05am On Sep 03, 2018
Please the APC should allow the NASS be.They should attend to the more serious issue of governance.

1 Like

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by IPOBrep: 10:10am On Sep 03, 2018
He succeeded in buying time with it.

Smart ass sp
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by lagdmark(m): 10:20am On Sep 03, 2018
sureheaven:

It beats my imagination how a Senator becomes errand boy or messenger to their fellow senator.

Saraki closed the National Assembly for his selfish interest. He is running around to become president at the expense of Nigeria.
Politics at all levels in Nigerian is All about selfish interest, so Saraki is playing the Nigerian politics.The President disappeared to UK
and claimed he doesn't owe anyone any explanation..
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Olumeme: 10:29am On Sep 03, 2018
sureheaven:

Is not your errand? Why is it paining you?

1 Like

Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Olumeme: 10:29am On Sep 03, 2018
SEONaijaExpert:
The Presidency is law abiding. There's absolutely no iota of desperation from the humble personality of President Buhari.

I see no reason why a PDP senator will make such ridiculous move. It's obvious all is not well with Saraki and those he calls friends are ready to kick the wood he's standing on.

I also condemn this move as I would like Bukola Saraki to be present at any sitting to witness his disgrace.

Eeeyahhh, sorry
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by Bimpe29: 10:38am On Sep 03, 2018
SEONaijaExpert:
[s]The Presidency is law abiding. There's absolutely no iota of desperation from the humble personality of President Buhari.[/s]

Don't be deceived, PMB is as desperate as Atiku.
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by SEONaijaExpert: 10:48am On Sep 03, 2018
Bimpe29:

Don't be deceived, PMB is as desperate as Atiku.
Maybe you have to tell me why an incumbent President would be desperate.
Re: FG Faults Suit Against Senate Reopening Without Saraki’s Consent by pentax(m): 10:48am On Sep 03, 2018
sureheaven:

Senator Ahmed Lawan and Akpabio both in Apc moved the motion to go on recess and reconvene on September25

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Re-Arrests John Yusuf Over ₦32.8 Billion Pension Fraud / Boko Haram Members Fight Among Themselves In Maiduguri - 6 Dead / RIVERS STATE GOVT: There Re No Indigenous Igbos In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.