Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Google Local Guides - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Google Local Guides (579 Views)

Amusement Parks And Budget Travel Guides / Valheim Walkthroughs, Tips, And Guides / How To Make Money Blogging In Nigeria (download Free Practical Guides) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Google Local Guides by Donmatlock: 6:13pm On Sep 03, 2018
Local Guides is a global community of explorers who write reviews, share photos, answer questions, add or edit places, and check facts on Google Maps. Millions of people rely on contributions like yours to decide where to go and what to do.

Become a Local Guide today!
https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/6225851?hl=en&ref_topic=6225845

There are lots of benefits as a Local Guide I.e perks, points, badges, invite to Google events and all expense paid trip to Googleplex in California. Three Nigerians got invited in 2017 and four in 2018.

Join the Nigeria Community to learn more... https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://plus.google.com/communities/109499525191459307033&ved=2ahUKEwjik_PXqZ_dAhUPWxoKHZZQBIsQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3z7V_DMxJGiOwQbx1NEZba

1 Like

Re: Google Local Guides by Donmatlock: 6:18pm On Sep 03, 2018
Meet Accessibility Champion, Emeka Ulor

Meet Emeka Ulor (@EmekaHouse) , a Local Guide from Lagos, Nigeria who cares deeply about accessibility. Emeka hosts meet-ups and shares posts on Connect that inspire others to care about accessibility.

We recently caught up with Emeka to learn more about his passion. Below are his responses which have been lightly edited for clarity.

Why are you passionate about accessibility information being shown on Google Maps?

I have a close friend who's physically challenged. We attended the same high school and did so many things together. His desire is to move around the world, independently, but he faces accessibility challenges. It seems people with accessibility needs are not being considered in urban development project designs. So, when I found out that Google Maps has features to help people with disabilities and special needs, I told him about it and began to highlight accessibility in my contributions. I hope to one day see people with physical, mobility, visual, auditory, or cognitive disabilities move around unassisted [by others] in our society.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information to/for Google Maps?

Since I discovered Google Maps provides accessibility information, I have made several reviews that include information about wheelchair accessible parking, entrances, restrooms, and seating. Answering questions about wheelchairs is a regular for me. It has become compulsory to take photos of accessible trails, where available, and adding them to my reviews. Also, I have talked to some managers at various public facilities to consider accessibility.

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

I wish every Local Guide understood that people with disabilities want to be independent and free like any other person. They feel happier getting things done without [other people’s] assistance. Secondly, all Local Guides should know that the United Nations recognizes the rights of people with disabilities to live a fulfilled life withou.... Local Guides should take it as a duty to help our communities make it a reality.

What has your experience with the Local Guides program been like so far? Any words of wisdom for other Local Guides  looking to find their passion through the program?

Wow! So, I became a Local Guide by coincidence: happily answering questions and see where I am right now [a Local Guide Level 9]? I love traveling, writing and inspiring young people. I am also passionate about the environment, sports and I love sharing information. A combination of these interests makes me feel joyful and Local Guides program has given me such a platform.

I would emphasize these major tips for finding your passion as a Local Guide:

Be ready and open to meet new friends. Local Guides boasts a large array of professionals from various backgrounds, so you could find some who shares in your zeal. I met some Local Guides who are drone experts, graphic designers, and digital media strategists.Organize different meet-ups like a food crawl, photo walk, map editing, geo walk, and fun activities that can bring people together. You’ll definitely find one that will bring you joy.

Anything else you’d like to share?

At the recent Lagos Local Guide Forum, I was given a topic to present. The topic was “Going Green with Google Maps.” I couldn’t wait; I did some research and discovered wonderful new things. I got to learn about Google Earth projects on pollution, accessibility meet-ups, and other environmental initiatives across the world. Local Guides is a place to gain new knowledge.

We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know Emeka better and are inspired to find your passion, whether it’s accessibility or something else. You can check out Emeka’s Google Maps contributions here.

Are you a Local Guide passionate about accessibility? Do you have another passion? Let us know in the comments below!

See original post here

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Meet-Accessibility-Champion-Emeka/m-p/927320

1 Like

Re: Google Local Guides by Donmatlock: 6:22pm On Sep 03, 2018
Who is the most inspiring Local Guide you know?

From holding accessibility meet-ups to reviewing small businesses on Google Maps, Local Guides like you have a variety of passions. Through the program, you share those passions with others and inspire them to make a positive impact in their communities, too.

We want to learn more about the Local Guides who have inspired you. Maybe they’re on a mission to make it easier for people with wheelchairs to get around. Maybe they add information about hospitals and clinics so people can find medical care in their city. Or maybe they take the best food photos you’ve seen on Google Maps. Whatever it is that makes them special, we want to know about it. 

Who is one inspiring Local Guide you think we should know? Tell us why in the comments below. 

www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Who-is-the-most-inspiring-Local-Guide-you-know/m-p/988387#M157810

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How I Made $1450 In Few Hours / Alexander Wilson's Manifestation Magic Audio Download / Business That pays weekly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.