Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,157 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems (1681 Views)

Yul Edochie: Buhari's Trouser Should Be Least Of Our Problems In Nigeria / Is Restructuring Required To Achieve Basic Hygiene? Photo Of Dirty Aba / Our Problems Require Uniquely Nigerian Solutions – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Aruksman: 7:41am On Sep 04, 2018
Topic: Is restructuring the answer to our problems.

First of all I will like to appreciate the efforts of prominent Nigerians and scholars who have spoken for and against Restructuring, but its pertinent to say that most of them have advocated such on selfish reasons, while some looked at it from one perspective , while others did it in the normal Nigerian way of only looking at the advantages with out considering the disadvantages and the peculiar nature of Nigeria.
Some others advocated for a sectional restructuring while scholars have advocated for a holistic restructuring.

It is very clear that close to an election period political parties and presidential candidates promise Nigerians this but the moment they are elected it becomes a thing of the past just like the current administration..

There are two major kinds of restructuring the POLITICAL and ECONOMIC restructuring.

I see politicians advocating for political restructuring but in essence we should be interested in economic restructuring but in Nigeria politicians always exploits every policy for selfish aggrandisement.

Note restructuring is good but with Nigeria it will fail because of many reasons,
(1) our economy is built on oil so if you restructure it means so e states will be very poor especially the Northern states , and no political party will want to loose the support of the North because of its numerical strengths.

(2) It will weaken the powers of the President , in the past we have seen bills and constitution amendment thrown out on the alter of it weakening the powers of the president despite the much resources invested into it.

(3) It will make our governors Dictators and lords over there territories . imagine that despite allocation coming from the centre they still deny local govt of its funds and most states are running with caretaker chairmen and Transition local govt chairman.
So imagine what they will do when they are the ones generating the funds and paying tax to the centre.

(4) National and state Assembly will never support it: relying on what happening now the states assembly supported the autonomy of the legislative arm of( government but veto that of Local government .

(5) Who will lobby the Nigeria national assembly to make him weaker.

(6) the cost of running the government will be tripled.

THE RIGHT THING TO ASK FOR.

(1) THE LAW SHOULD BE AMENDED THAT ANY GOVERNOR OR PRESIDENT THAT FAILS TO PAY SALARIES UP TO 3 TIMES IN A YEAR SHOULD BE IMPEACHED .

(2) ALL OUR RESOURCES SHOULD BE JUDICIOUSLY SPENT AND ACVOUNTED FOR FAILURE ATTRACTS IMPEACHMENT AND 12YEARS IN JAIL
(3) BUDGET OF THE STATES MUST BE PUBLIC DOCUMENTS.

THINK WISELY BECAUSE IF WE NEED TO RESTRUCTURE WE NEED TO RESTRUCTURE OUR POLITICIANS FIRST INTO BECOMING SERVICE DELIVERY CONSIOUS INSTEAD OF MONEY DRIVEN .

1 Like

Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Lerio(m): 8:33am On Sep 04, 2018
Anyhow
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Turantula(m): 8:52am On Sep 04, 2018
Coming from the usual suspect - Northern parasites.
Maybe it is cattle colony that will solve your shithole's problem

1 Like

Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Pusyiter(m): 8:56am On Sep 04, 2018
Sorry to say....you assertions are totally out of point.
How on earth would one imagine that restructuring would increase the cost of governance?
What is political and economic restructuring?
Get it first. Restructuring simply means without reference to scholastic works, giving powers to the constituent units (state and local governments).
Our economy depends so much on oil and the solution is restructuring. Why?
When we restructure, the oil-producing states would pay a given sum to the federal government motivating other States to think outside the box and harness what they have to better their economy either in agriculture or otherwise.
It will never make dictators out of Governors simply because the local governments would have more functions/powers than their Governors thereby making them closer and accountable to the people.
For the records, there is nothing like economic and political restructuring. It is only a nomenclature of some people.
When you restructure, everything falls into place both politically, economically etc.
The USA is a typical example of a restructured Nation.
I stop here for now.

3 Likes

Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by tollyboy5(m): 9:33am On Sep 04, 2018
What nonsense I'm I reading presently! you if Nigeria should be restructured politically many salaries of politicians would be slashed. people who want to work would contest. there would be competition in civilization. Only Criminals speak against restructuring what do you mean some state would be poor. so without Nigeria those state would go extinct abi?

3 Likes

Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by tollyboy5(m): 9:35am On Sep 04, 2018
Pusyiter:
How on earth would one imagine that restructuring would increase the cost of governance?
Get it first. Restructuring simply means without reference to scholastic works, giving powers to the constituent units (state and local governments).
When we restructure, the oil-producing states would pay a given sum to the federal government motivating other States to think outside the box and harness what they have to better their economy either in agriculture or otherwise.
It will never make dictators out of Governors simply because the local governments would have more functions/powers than their Governors thereby making them closer and accountable to the people.
For the records, there is nothing like economic and political restructuring. It is only a nomenclature of some people.
When you restructure, everything falls into place both politically, economically etc.
I stop here for now.

don't mind the guy it is better for governor to be a dictator in his state and be voted out by his people than for president to be a dictator and be defended by Nigeria army

2 Likes

Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Aruksman: 9:47pm On Sep 04, 2018
Turantula:
Coming from the usual suspect - Northern parasites.
Maybe it is cattle colony that will solve your shithole's problem

For the records am from IMO state Nkwerre local government .
Beside have you visited your state recently and seen what your governors are doing with the little they are given , for mine is building of statues, constructions of fake roads which will be reconstructed immediately after 6 months of commissioning e.g owerri orlu road, and your telling me restructuring will stop this shit. Let's think of how to save our country first, beside has america restructured , nope but they have laws and strong institutions that makes it difficult for our common wealth to be embezzled

1 Like

Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Aruksman: 9:56pm On Sep 04, 2018
Pusyiter:
I stop here for now.

m
My brother you talk as if you are not in Nigeria , I agree with you that it will diversify our economy but ask yourself what the billions of dollars gotten from oil has been used for.
Secondly do you have local govt chairman or caretakers who are empowered by governors for there selfish reason .
Imagine the number of unnescary aides our governors have with the little they get from abuja and imagine how many more they will appoint when they get more funds.

Yes I say they will be dictators because the presidential powers will have no effect in there domain so they will definitely decide who gets elected and there positions
, Today in some states e.g Rivers the state budget is a secret documents, in some states lime IMO and rivers the governors have said and handpicked those who will be contesting the election's and are only be fought to a standstill by abuja so if you weaken abuja they will be stronger.

Let's be prudent with our resources, pay salaries , invest in human capital devt , get the right infrastructures and policy's and Nigeria will be better.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Aruksman: 9:59pm On Sep 04, 2018
tollyboy5:

don't mind the guy it is better for governor to be a dictator in his state and be voted out by his people than for president to be a dictator and be defended by Nigeria army

Seriously how many strong governors have lost elections in Nigeria , those who lost had scores to settle with abuja or were not recontesting , Theodore Orji won twice despite his poor performance, martin elechi same, watch as Ishaku of taraba will also win his, do you really think that governors are voted on performance No. But on money , on election day your poor performing governor shares you 3k to vote him and you would
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Aruksman: 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2018
tollyboy5:
What nonsense I'm I reading presently! you if Nigeria should be restructured politically many salaries of politicians would be slashed. people who want to work would contest. there would be competition in civilization. Only Criminals speak against restructuring what do you mean some state would be poor. so without Nigeria those state would go extinct abi?

Haba tell your self the truth who will slash it , beside let the allocation increase and see if there salaries and appiontess won't increase, a cross five once had about 1000 SA , beside the governor decisions will be final and security agencies in the state will be at his beck and call and only answerable to him so there will never be opposition in the state, what we really need are good laws that are enforceable and stong independent institutions. Seriously restructuring will work in a better society and not Nigeria
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Pusyiter(m): 10:27am On Sep 05, 2018
I understand from where you are talking from.
Your position is by virtue of the prevalent situation in Nigeria of which only restructuring can solve.
Once we practice restructuring ie devolution of powers, the local government by virtue of the constitution would exert more functions/powers than even the state Governors thereby putting an end to the politics of handpicking.
The local constituents would be directly answerable to you and I because we know them to their fathers' house in the village and every one kobo that comes into the local coffers, it will be easy to monitor and evaluate thereby curbing corruption/wastage. It is like running an Association/ NGO. It simply makes governance closer to the people and that is what democracy is all about
In fact, this is as simple as ABC but some disgruntled Nigerians want to make it cumbersome to confuse some of us.
Aruksman:
m
My brother you talk as if you are not in Nigeria , I agree with you that it will diversify our economy but ask yourself what the billions of dollars gotten from oil has been used for.
Secondly do you have local govt chairman or caretakers who are empowered by governors for there selfish reason .
Imagine the number of unnescary aides our governors have with the little they get from abuja and imagine how many more they will appoint when they get more funds.

Yes I say they will be dictators because the presidential powers will have no effect in there domain so they will definitely decide who gets elected and there positions
, Today in some states e.g Rivers the state budget is a secret documents, in some states lime IMO and rivers the governors have said and handpicked those who will be contesting the election's and are only be fought to a standstill by abuja so if you weaken abuja they will be stronger.

Let's be prudent with our resources, pay salaries , invest in human capital devt , get the right infrastructures and policy's and Nigeria will be better.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Pusyiter(m): 10:32am On Sep 05, 2018
Bros, I think you should first understand what restructuring truly means. It is either you are a science student or something relative.
Aruksman:

Seriously how many strong governors have lost elections in Nigeria , those who lost had scores to settle with abuja or were not recontesting , Theodore Orji won twice despite his poor performance, martin elechi same, watch as Ishaku of taraba will also win his, do you really think that governors are voted on performance No. But on money , on election day your poor performing governor shares you 3k to vote him and you would
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by pryme(m): 10:47am On Sep 05, 2018
Pusyiter:
I understand from where you are talking from.
Your position is by virtue of the prevalent situation in Nigeria of which only restructuring can solve.
Once we practice restructuring ie devolution of powers, the local government by virtue of the constitution would exert more functions/powers than even the state Governors thereby putting an end to the politics of handpicking.
The local constituents would be directly answerable to you and I because we know them to their fathers' house in the village and every one kobo that comes into the local coffers, it will be easy to monitor and evaluate thereby curbing corruption/wastage. It is like running an Association/ NGO. It simply makes governance closer to the people and that is what democracy is all about
In fact, this is as simple as ABC but some disgruntled Nigerians want to make it cumbersome to confuse some of us.

Hahahaha, all your comments are just wishful thinking. If the Governor makes the state account his personal account what will you do to him? If he fails to pay salary what will you do to him? If he rigs his elections what will you do to him? If he hand picks local government Chairman to do only his bidding what will you do?
What - you will take him to court? Or you will revolt? Do you think they won't mind unleashing military on protesters?

Just look at what's on ground here and now in this country, Most states cant utilize the little they have been given is it when they are given more before they can be efficient all of a sudden?

State governors REFUSE to pay salaries, is it when you give them regional power that they will become wise all of sudden?

We should learn to differentiate fairy tales from reality.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Pusyiter(m): 10:56am On Sep 05, 2018
Bros, get it! Understand what restructuring really means.
No one said powers would be given to regional/governors
Powers would reside in the grassroot, then states, before federal.
The constitution would empower the local units to function more and make both states/federal less attractive.
pryme:

Hahahaha, all your comments are just wishful thinking. If the Governor makes the state account his personal account what will you do to him? If he fails to pay salary what will you do to him? If he rigs his elections what will you do to him? If he hand picks local government Chairman to do only his bidding what will you do?
What - you will take him to court? Or you will revolt? Do you think they won't mind unleashing military on protesters?

Just look at what's on ground here and now in this country, Most states cant utilize the little they have been given is it when they are given more before they can be efficient all of a sudden?

State governors REFUSE to pay salaries, is it when you give them regional power that they will become wise all of sudden?

We should learn to differentiate fairy tales from reality.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by pryme(m): 10:57am On Sep 05, 2018
Aruksman:

Haba tell your self the truth who will slash it , beside let the allocation increase and see if there salaries and appiontess won't increase, a cross five once had about 1000 SA , beside the governor decisions will be final and security agencies in the state will be at his beck and call and only answerable to him so there will never be opposition in the state, what we really need are good laws that are enforceable and stong independent institutions. Seriously restructuring will work in a better society and not Nigeria

They don't understand what restructuring is all about, they thing it only has to do with generating revenue.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by pryme(m): 11:04am On Sep 05, 2018
Pusyiter:
Bros, get it! Understand what restructuring really means.
No one said powers would be given to regional/governors
Powers would reside in the grassroot, then states, before federal.
The constitution would empower the local units to function more and make both states/federal less attractive.

No you don't get it, who will control this revenues and resources generated by the state? The local government? Or the federal government?
So what will be the role of the Governors? or are you saying the Governors will just be figure heads.

Who ever has control over resources is the one with absolute power, you cant start telling me a local government Chairman will control over resources when there is a state governor.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by gidgiddy: 12:22pm On Sep 05, 2018
Restructuring is waste of time since Nigeria will need 2 thirds of the national assembly to change the structure of Nigeria. That never happening with the core North controlling nearly half of the national assembly

The only way out is for everyone to agitate to leave Nigeria

As an Igbo man, I fully support my fellow Igbos to have their independence from Nigeria
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by chiagozien(m): 12:34pm On Sep 05, 2018
Division is the solution.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Pusyiter(m): 1:34pm On Sep 05, 2018
It is the system/structure that controls resources, not an office or individual.
Instance, Oil as a resource(s) is managed/exploited by multinationals (Shell/AGIP etc). They, in turn, remit through taxes an agreed percentage (as enshrined in the constitution) to the host community i.e local government first (having the largest share/percentage of the tax), the state government and a little percentage to the federal government.
Once the local government who collects the largest percentage, collects its taxes, you and I (grassroots people) know how much we are expecting, we do our calculations and initiate policies for our local government to execute through supervisory councilors. Same applies to the states and the federal government.
No local government Chairman and his councilors would swindle their community and they close their eyes?
This is the system. The Control of Military/Defence/Federal Police (FBI in USA) remains with the Federal government while the State government focuses on issues like educational enhancement, welfare programmes, link road constructions etc
Our eyes will leave Abuja for good and careless if Buhari eats or quench.
pryme:

No you don't get it, who will control this revenues and resources generated by the state? The local government? Or the federal government?
So what will be the role of the Governors? or are you saying the Governors will just be figure heads.

Who ever has control over resources is the one with absolute power, you cant start telling me a local government Chairman will control over resources when there is a state governor.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by pryme(m): 2:50pm On Sep 05, 2018
Pusyiter:
It is the system/structure that controls resources, not an office or individual.
Instance, Oil as a resource(s) is managed/exploited by multinationals (Shell/AGIP etc). They, in turn, remit through taxes an agreed percentage (as enshrined in the constitution) to the host community i.e local government first (having the largest share/percentage of the tax), the state government and a little percentage to the federal government.
Once the local government who collects the largest percentage, collects its taxes, you and I (grassroots people) know how much we are expecting, we do our calculations and initiate policies for our local government to execute through supervisory councilors. Same applies to the states and the federal government.
No local government Chairman and his councilors would swindle their community and they close their eyes?
This is the system. The Control of Military/Defence/Federal Police (FBI in USA) remains with the Federal government while the State government focuses on issues like educational enhancement, welfare programmes, link road constructions etc
Our eyes will leave Abuja for good and careless if Buhari eats or quench.

But all this can happen without restructuring, and it may not happen even if we restructured. We just need powerful institutions.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Pusyiter(m): 4:30pm On Sep 05, 2018
Now we are on the same page.
Only restructuring can bring about your envisaged powerful institution.
pryme:

But all this can happen without restructuring, and it may not happen even if we restructured. We just need powerful institutions.
Re: Is Restructuring The Answer To Our Problems by Aruksman: 12:15am On Sep 06, 2018
To all who have contributed , I say nice opinions which I totally agree with but we should remember this is Nigeria, the political class are talking about it now because they are in opposition and they see it as a point to sell to the electorate to get our votes , once they get into power it will be forgotten.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oyetola Justifies Aregbesola’s Loans As Adeleke Shuns BBC Debate / Joe Igbokwe Caught Posting Fake Pictures / Rochas Booed As He Bragged At APC Rally In Imo, Amaechi & Oshiomhole Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.