Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Yes I Do.... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Yes I Do.... (1222 Views)

Oh No, Oh Yes! (short Story By Kayode Odusanya) / My Yes (A Christian Love Story By Lizzy Oyebola Yakubu) / Yes I Forgive You By Soibi Ransom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yes I Do.... by roniex2(f): 3:25pm On Sep 04, 2018
All rights reserved. Except for use in any review, the reproduction or utilization of this work in whole or in part in any form by any electronic, mechanical or other means, now known or hereafter invented, including xerography, photocopying and recording, or in any information storage or retrieval system, is forbidden without the written permission of the author.
This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, resold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the prior consent of the author in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent purchaser.
Disclaimer
All characters in this book have no existence outside the imagination of the author and have no relation whatsoever to anyone bearing the same name or names. They are not even distantly inspired by any individual known or unknown to the author, and all incidents are pure invention.

Adetola Williams

I quickly alighted from the cab and gave the cab driver his fare. He smiled at me with his brownish yellow set of uneven teeth, blared his horn and zoomed off. That was the beginning of his own Monday morning.
I adjusted my suit and checked my simple make up again with my phone's mirror, satisfied with how I looked, I heaved a deep sigh and wished myself good luck.

It was the beginning of my new job, I had submitted my application to Heritage Bank few months ago but only got called few weeks back that I had gotten the job.

Banking wasn't really my thing, in fact I had not for a minute thought I would end up in a bank. I studied Food science and Technology at the University of Jos, I had hoped I would work at one of the food production and branding in Lagos but I had given up after four failed attempts.

My mom who had been on my neck to apply for a job wouldn't let me be until I found something doing. Well, I just hoped within that this banking Job was it.

I was about walking up to a lady whose face looked more calm serene when my phone vibrated, it was my mom. I hastily took big strides to one corner of the bank a few customers were busy filling slips and picked the call. Pouting my lips, I whispered an Hello!

"Adetola, have you gotten there? Have you met the people there? How are they? Have you been shown around? Talk now" my mom's voice came through.

"Mommy! May I remind you that I am twenty-four years old and not fourteen!" I barked at her as I tightened my fists in anger.

Seriously, how many times would this woman step on my nerves this morning? She had called me two times while I was inside the cab and had left 3 messages containing prayers for me. I really didn't know if she thought I was one teenager who didn't know her way around.

Fine! It was a new job and obviously my first time but she should just let me be!

"Adetola Abeke, are you still there?"

"I am here mom. "Look, I have to go and please stop disturbing okay?" I said and cut the call, without listening to whatever she had to say next.

'Huh! Mothers, who said there aren't troubles?' I thought within myself as I started walking to the cubicle of the young lady I had wanted to talk to earlier. Fortunately for me, there was no customer before her that she was attending to.

"Hello. Good morning" I greeted her in a gentle lady manner.

I scrutinized her from head to toe. She was quite a beauty to behold. She took her hands off the computer system and flashed me a bright smile. Her dentition wasn't perfect but it was beautiful enough to heal a scarred heart.

Her ethereal-like brown eyes drilled into mine. I took in her fruity but not too rich and not too musky cologne, the smell a mix between fruits and flowers. It was awesome.

"Hi. How may I help you?' A phantom-like smile appeared on her bold red lips.

I gave a smile too and introduced myself. I told her I was a newly employed banker and would love to know the next step to take since I was a new in-take. She directed me upstairs. I thanked her and told her I would see her around later.

I climbed the staircase and arrived at another set of cubicle. It was larger than where I was coming from. Orange and cream short curtains hung on the walls, dancing to and fro due to the soft wind that entered from the oval shaped window. Plush soft rugs adorned the floor. I looked round and saw different sections like customer care, Bank management and all. I walked up to a young man and explained to him I was newly employed. He had a mouth-watering face, physique and height. He had a nice taste in fabrics too which was a thing I admired in men.

He welcomed me and showed me my seat. He explained a lot of things to me and also said I would be working with a lady for a month till I got used to the ropes and could work on my own.

Since the lady was not on seat, he took me round the bank and showed me different sections and what they were meant for. He also introduced me to some important officials. I chimed in a thank you when we were done and he left after smiling at me and wishing me a nice time in Heritage bank. Honestly, I felt less tensed and welcomed.

"This isn't bad after all" I muttered silently as I took my seat and waited for my partner to arrive. I really didn't know if I should call her a partner or a boss. Well, it all depended on her she presented herself.

"Nawa o, these people don't feel cold with all these A.C's?" I questioned.

I thought I had said that inside me not knowing I was thinking out loud.

"Really? You are new here and all you could start thinking of is the work environment? Like its your first time in a bank?" A fat lady in suits approached me. There was this scornful look and long wicked stares she gave me that I instantly felt like going underground. My jaw trembled as I looked at her and felt angry waves emanating from her pores as she stood in front of me, hands akimbo.

'Jeeez! Please don't tell me this is the person I would be with for 31 days! What? Just kill me already please'
I angrily opened the door of my room and slumped on the bed. Sweat drippled down my forehead as memories of the day came rushing back into my brain like a cold bucket of water.
No doubt I had a very bad day.

2 Likes

Re: Yes I Do.... by Ann2012(f): 3:36pm On Sep 04, 2018
First to comment grin

Keep the updates coming dear

1 Like

Re: Yes I Do.... by excelmerry: 4:28pm On Sep 04, 2018
Here we are again.. another story cool

1 Like

Re: Yes I Do.... by HarmonyJael(f): 5:49pm On Sep 04, 2018
Awwwn! Anoda story?? Roniex bby, ure really trying.

1 Like

Re: Yes I Do.... by Uniquechild(f): 3:13am On Sep 05, 2018
Following. It's going to be interesting

1 Like

Re: Yes I Do.... by roniex2(f): 9:20am On Sep 05, 2018
My first day at work was nothing to write home about. My so called partner who was behaving like a boss to me treated me like shit, i mean like a slave!

She would bark at me every now and then. She really made me feel low and embarrassed to the extent that the guy that had shown me around earlier, Kelvin and two other workers had to caution her. There was even a point she told me I lacked home training!
Only God knew how frustrated and messed up her personal life would be.

People like that are hardly happy. I was just so mad and angry! Like who does that to a new worker on a first day? I was very sure she would not be more than 3 years older than me. Her pumpkin fat look and stature only made her look intimidating and old. The worms in my belly started their real combat. After the four slices of bread and tea I had taken in the morning, I didn't have the time to eat anything again. Life of a banker! Argh..

"Adetola, you are back. How are you, you look tired. How was your first day at work. Oya come and gist me now" my mom said, smiling as she walked into my room. Her smiles straightened up when she saw the mood I was in. She stared at me with her dark predatory eyes.

"What's the problem dear" she asked, moving closer to me and looking at me like she could guess what was wrong. She knew she couldn't anyway, my mom was very bad at guessing.
I simmered with anger as I explained to her what happened at the bank.

She nudged my arm with her elbow playfully and encouraged me sweetly and motherly. I was about cheering up after her long talks and lectures about work and tolerance when my phone rang. I unzipped my crimson red bag and took out my Infinix Hot note. I hissed when I saw the caller I.D 'Can this day get any worse?' I almost screamed as I wrinkled in distaste. "What do you want James?"

Morning came so fast. I woke up, said my prayers and had my bath. I had to be at the bank before 8:00am and knowing how crazy Lagos traffic was especially at mainland, I had to be very fast. I dabbed my body with my towel and applied my body lotion. I walked to the mirror and looked at the image before me.

Adetola Williams.

I had changed a lot, I was no longer the fourteen year old girl longing to know her dad. I was no longer the sixteen year old girl trying to know the story behind my dad's disappearance. I was no longer a baby. I was no longer timid and innocent. I was now a young woman. Yes, I could boldly say twenty five looked good on me. My mind slowly drifted to how I had met my boyfriend- Ejabena Oghenenyerovwo James. He was from Delta state. He was popularly called James by me and his friends. Even I couldn't pronounce his names well, so i had sticked to James.

I was at SLT(Science Lecture Theatre) reading that night when he had walked up to me, he introduced himself to me and said he was in 400L chemical engineering, then I was just resuming 200L. We began friends and let's say everything began from there.

We were very close until when he graduated and had to leave soon and it dawned on me we were drifting apart. He hardly called or sent me his sweet messages that used to make me swoon then. He changed completely, first I thought it was me.
So I changed my looks and appearances, I practically changed my wardrobe. Anytime he managed to come see me after much pleading or I travel to see him where he was serving, he still continued being cold to me.

"Maybe am not good enough for him anymore"I had said to myself but actually it was more than that. My alarm jerked me back from my reverie. Wow! I was already running late.
I quickly wore my Yellow shirt and tucked it into my blue office trouser. I put on simple blue earrings, Yellow flat shoes and I made my hair fall in ringlets over my shoulders. I applied my foundation, powder and mascara on my naturally long lashes.

I lined my almond shaped eyes with thick black eyeliner. I reached for my hot pink 24 hours lipstick and applied it lightly on my lips. I was looking beautiful. I smiled to myself as I looked at the mirror to confirm how flawless I looked. I sprayed my perfume and went to my mom's room to greet her and wish her a nice day. She was still sleeping so I just dropped a note by her bedside and left her room. I remembered what she had told me the previous day.

" Adetola mi, you are the only one responsible for your happiness, don't let that woman see your fears and anxiety so she won't use that to oppress you" That was something I kept at my heart and was determined to do at work. I would not let her see that am scared or nervous.
Why should I even be scared of someone like her in the first place. In no time I had gotten to the streets of Lagos, I flagged down a taxi and told the man my destination. I sat at the backseat and heaved a deep sigh. I thanked God I was so lucky to get cab on time.

The old man was listening to a Fuji music. It was a popular music so I hummed the lyrics and shook my head to and fro.
Gosh! Good old musics gave me life. I actually liked the new hip hop songs being released by the likes of Wizkid, Olamide and the rest but nothing could be compared to old musics you grew up listening to from your parents' Radios. Parents? That was a mistake. All the experiences I had so far were from my mom.

I grew up with her. With no father, I did not even know how the man looked like. Once upon a time my mom told me, her only daughter about how the man got her pregnant and ran away from his responsibilities. I used to ask after him when I was younger but now, I cared less. For him to have abandoned my mom and I, I hated him with my veins!

I shifted my thoughts away from that wicked man. I could not even call him a father. Why would a person with conscience do that to a fellow human being. Even if my mom doesn't tell me how bad and hurt she still feels after twenty five years, I could tell she had not healed. James' call came through. He reminded me of the date we had later this evening at our favourite place in Lagos mainland. Spice coffee shop. They served a wide variety of coffee drinks, hot chocolate and tea.

Their hot muffins and ginger-glazings were treats I looked forward to. James would always take me there anytime we had a fight and wanted to make up. It was a special place he chose for us and when I visited the shop frequently with him, I found out I liked place and their packages. Two years ago, I found out James was cheating on me with a lady who was serving where he was too. That explained the sudden change in his attitude. When I confronted him, he had cried and wept like a baby. He was truly sorry and he apologized.

He promised never to do anything to hurt me anymore. Knowing me, I was too emotional and couldn't handle extreme emotions. I told my mom about it, yes it was always my mom. She was my confidant. She pleaded with me to forgive him and so I did. But these days, I really didn't know what James was up to. Was he cheating again? Was he going to break up finally? He had been giving me weird attitudes. The day I went to see him at his house, we had a fight and he hit me. That was why I shouted at him when he called last night.

What did he want again? How would he hit me and expect me to act all lovey-dovey like nothing happened. I only agreed to this so called date to know what he is really up to. So I could know if he actually tired of the whole thing or not.

"Aunty! Aunty!! E sokale now" The old cab driver squeaked out to me in a typical Yoruba accent. There was a puzzled look on his face, like he was wondering where my mind was. He had probably been calling me since.
I greeted everyone at the ground floor with smiles. It was just four minutes to eight.

I sighted the beautiful young lady I spoke to yesterday and went to say hello to her. She looked as radiant as ever. Seriously I loved people who looked happy and bright. Even if they are handling shit in your lives and they have a lot of dramas going on, you would hardly know.

"Good morning miss"She had greeted, smiling as usual.

"Good morning. I am Adetola and you must be Miss Lara" I said, quite confidently as I looked from her I.D card to her face and back to her I.D again.

She was initially surprised I knew her name but soon got how I knew she was Lara when she saw my eyes moving from her I.D card to her face. She smiled again.

"Yes, I am Omolara Adegoke" she introduced. She asked me how my first day was and I just said it was fine even though it was the exact opposite. No thanks to that fat witch.

I got to my section upstairs only to see her again looking angry like a kid whose ice cream had just been taken away. So irritated and worked up. As soon as I saw her, my face fell. The look on her face was so dreadful. It was like a claw smashing through my chest and squeezing my chest in pains.

"Haba! What's with this face again this early morning. Oga o"I muttered silently.

"Good morning" I greeted and was about to take my seat when she started ranting again like a mad woman. I then believed the saying of a friend of mine back then in school that 'Many are mad but few are roaming' Only God knew why this one wasn't on the street roaming already.

I got out of the bank and heaved a deep sigh of relief. Really? Would I have to keep dealing with that woman and their madness everyday? I just prayed my patience wouldn't one day run out. Then she would know the stuff I am made of. She must really think am a dunce.
I hissed.
It was pouring heavily. I started doubting if I was still going to see James. It was late and raining. That meant I would be soaked, my face and hair would be trash and it would be difficult getting a cab. My phone vibrated from my bag.I took it and saw that It was James. I lunched my messenger and texted him.

"Hi, its raining and I just closed from work. I really don't know if I would make it but if I would not, I'll call you in the next thirty minutes." I sent it and started walking to the road. The first five cabs didn't wait at all.

"This doesn't look good" My shaky lips let out. Damn! It was cold. My heart pounded like there was a mad man inside my chest beating a drum crazily. That was how I used to feel anytime I was cold. It wasnt easy tho, handling the cold at the bank due to A.Cs and the one outside the bank due to the rain. I bet I was going to fall sick soon if this continued for a long time. Perturbed nerves and a dreadful doom set in, making me foot tap in a frenzied manner.

My shoes rapped out a discomforting rhythm. I just prayed they wouldn't get spoilt. I got them as gift for my convocation ceremony. I cherished them so much.

I almost gave up any chances of seeing a cab when one parked beside me. I hastily told the cab driver my destination. He stayed quiet and thought for a while before he asked me to come in. I happily hopped in and breathed heavily.

'Omo, if you are working and you no get car for this Lagos, na wa o, na real wa!' I almost shouted. The cab driver heard me and a small smile pulled at the corner of his lips. and in my mind I was like "No be so?"

I alighted from the cab and paid the man my fare. I saw him smiling at me sheeplishly again but I just collected my change and left. 'Na im know why he dey advertise close up' I muttered.

I entered the coffee shop and saw James at one corner of the shop, close to the edge. My phone vibrated, I checked it and saw a message from my mom. I quickly replied her that I would soon be home. It wasn't easy being the only daughter of Mrs Tolani Williams. She was a dotting mother but I would forever be reminding her that I was no longer a kid so she should back off with her over protective attitude.

"Hi James" I greeted curtly and signalled to one of the attendants who was already getting ready to take his leave to give me a cup of hot steaming Caramel Macchiato. He nodded and went with my order.

"Who were you with?" Came his deep authoritative voice.

I breathed and creased my eyebrows into a frown.
"What do you mean?" I questioned, looking at his eyes. Eyeball to Eyeball.

"Do not play dumb with me!" He screamed so loud that I felt my eardrum contracting inwards.

"James, what is it again? Last time we met I can remember you hitting me and you haven't fully apologized to me and here you are accusing me of being with someone else. What is wrong with you?" I questioned.

If not that the coffee shop was almost empty, I was very sure I would have attracted a lot of attention with how loud my voice was. Fine, I loved this man before me with all my heart but he shouldn't take me for granted. For Pete's sake I am not stupid.

"Why did you come so late? Who is he? Who is the man you were with? I said who is this man that made you come late for our date?" He barked as he stared daggers at me. If stares were bullets, I would have died there and then.

"What man? James, you know I have been faithful to you. Deep down in your heart you are not going to deny the fact that I, Tola Williams have been loyal to you. So I don't know why you have trust issues" A sob broke through my chest as I angrily spat.

1 Like

Re: Yes I Do.... by Kelblaq(m): 11:21am On Sep 05, 2018
Now following!
Re: Yes I Do.... by roniex2(f): 11:14am On Sep 07, 2018
On a normal day, A typical emotional Tola would have bowed her face and begun to play with her fingers fidgetily.

I took James as my master and my lord. But I didn't know where I got the strength and courage to stand up to him and reply him back. I searched my heart for fear, there was nothing like that there. Rather, I felt anger and hatred for him.

"Any problem miss?" The attendant asked as he put my coffee cup on the table.

"Get the fvck out of here!" James screamed. One could see a hurricane of emotions inside him.

"Can't we see we are trying to have a conversation?" He glowered at him.

"As far as I am concerned, this is no longer a conversation." I puckered my lips, rose up and took my bag and cup from his table to another table.

I couldn't handle any more drama. How would I cope with an obnoxious snappy boss at my place of work and also a nagging unreasonable bully I called a boyfriend.

The truth is, I was tired. I was emotionally and physically drained. I couldn't take it anymore. With the anger surging through my body, I downed the content of my cup, took my bag and faced a red eyed James. "Look here gentleman" I began sarcastically, releasing a soft breath and emphasizing on the 'gentleman'.

I was sure he decoded I meant the exact opposite.

"I am done with you James. We are over. This is a step I was supposed to have taken a long time ago, but because of how emotional I was, I still continued battling, I continued struggling to keep a failed relationship with you.

"I don't ever want to see your face again James. You've hurt me enough and you are the worst thing that ever happened to me" I said, scrounging my nose up and wiping off twin tears trickling down my cheeks. I paid for my coffee and left in anger. Salt water began to slide down my cheeks, mocking me as they revealed how I sincerely felt.

"Tola..." James called out slowly like the name was an acid on his lips. bet he was probably still trying to take in all I said. With the shock in his eyes, one could tell he was waiting for me to come back and tell him I was sorry.

I couldn't believe I spent five years of my life with that son of a bitch. Five good years! Tied down to a man that wasn't worth it. I didn't want this for my life.
Oh, you think I wanted to build a relationship of five years only to wake up one day and break it? No. I mean capital NO! I prayed, I fasted, I cried, Many nights I wept under my duvet. Hoping James would change, but he only got worse.

From cheating to multiple weird mood swings to being totally insensitive and unsecured to being a woman beater. I couldn't take it anymore. If he wasn't going to change before we got married. He wouldn't change after our wedding. I was sure of it. Can one even change a man that is so rigid and doesn't want to be changed?

I banished all thoughts of James and our relationship from my mind. I made up my mind to bury it in the darkest safe of my heart. I would explain to my mom and I only hoped she would understand why I had to make that decision. She loved James. She really took him like a son she never had.
Many times she would beg on his behalf. She was like his senior advocate. I would let her know I just had to break up with James. He wasn't the man for him. I wasn't in haste to get married. I just wanted peace. Or is that too much to ask for?

My phone beeped twice. I needed no soothsayer to tell me it was my mom. I didn't bother typing any message to her again. I started looking out for cabs. It was very late. The street was silent as a graveyard and dark. One could only hear the sound of birds chirping here and there. "God, I don't know how I will get home but please keep me safe" I prayed.

I started walking to the end of the road. Only to feel a finger tap on my shoulder. Then I felt something hit my head.

Then slowly, I drifted into an unknown land and welcomed the darkness that enveloped my world.

I woke up feeling numb and funny. My head ached badly and my body was in pains. Early morning light rays streamed into the big purple coloured bedroom and hit my face slowly.

'Where am I? Where is this place? What am I doing here?' Different questions raced to and fro my mind. I looked round and saw white bed covers tucked around me like a cocoon. I looked up and saw about three portrait pictures of a young man hung on the walls.

"God! What am I doing in a stranger's house?" I screamed.

I searched for my phone but it was no where to be found. My bag was also missing. I got down from the bed only to find out I was in my underwears. My shirt and trouser was carefully placed on the sofa adjacent to the bed.

'What the hell is going on!' I wanted to scream again but a sharp pain pricked one side of my head. I held my head in pains and fell on the bed with a loud thud.

"Hello. Are you okay?" My icy little heart melted as a young man who was most likely in his early thirties entered the room. His clean masculine scent wafted towards me. My heart faltered in my chest and it seemed to stop and miss a beat as those brown-slash-black eyes of his bored into mine. We exchanged glances for a long time.

His presence sent shivers into my body He looked familiar. Yes very familiar but I just couldn't place that face. He was very handsome and drop dead gorgeous. The strong build of his chest down to his abdomen was apparently and proudly shown off by his white tight fitting top. His perfectly shaped nose sent a message of his nobility.

His lips were masculine, plump, red and sensual. His jawline was contoured perfectly emphasising the beauty of his face which might forever hunt me both in my sleep and reality. The first time I saw him, I knew I had admired him greatly. But where did I see this demi-god again? I badly needed to remember.

"Hi. What am I doing here? What happened to me?" I demanded while he gave me a sarcastic grin. Gosh! His smile! His dentition! His narrow gap tooth!

"Calm down. Which question do you want me to answer first?" He said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Answer both" I charged.

He tucked his hands in his shorts and answered;

"Well, you were attacked last night by robbers. I saw you lying down on the road almost lifeless. I decided to help you by bringing you to my home.

There was no how I could locate yours. You had nothing on you, not even your phone" he explained slowly. I nodded as I tried recalling what happened. I remembered being hit by something hard and then I passed out. I straightened myself up, his muscular chest met my face as he moved closer to me. Jeez! What a distracting obstruction!.

I tried my best to blot his masculinity out of my mind, breathed hard and spoke

"Th.. Thank you" I babbled and tried covering myself with the blanket on the bed when I noticed his eyes deeply staring at my body.
"Who.. Who removed my clothes?" I asked frankly.

"Ermm. I did. I wanted you to be free a bit" He replied and flicked his eyes at me seductively.
Damn! Didn't he know he had an erotic effect on me?

I shot him a long killing stare. Why would he take off my clothes. "I closed my eyes while doing it anyway" he spoke. It might have hit him that I was wondering how he did so or why he even did.

"Oh please! I am not a kid. So don't tell me that" I stressed.

" I swear, I shut my eyes." He gulped and replied me, smiling sweetly.

I rolled my eyes at him and asked him where his bathroom was. I stinked so bad. I had to freshen up but first things first, I had to call my mom. That woman would be worried sick already.

"Can I have your phone please? I want to call my mom." He chuckled as he speedily placed his hands in his pocket. His eyes never left my face.

He brought out an iPhone and handed it to me carefully, still staring at me, his gaze made my body shook in a way even I didn't understand.

'Wow, this guy is loaded' I uttered silently.
I gave the phone back for him to unlock. Seriously, did he think I was some kind of witch that would know his pattern.

He gave me back the phone and then I confirmed it. His wallpaper was a picture of him standing just outside my bank. I knew it! I had seen him before. It only meant one thing. He worked in my bank!

Or could it be that he visited and I saw him that day? Or was he a customer? I looked at him with a puzzled look on my face. "Anything the matter?" He asked, Tracing his neatly carved beards.

" You look familiar." I said.

"Oh really? Miss Adetola Williams" A bright Mr. Cool smile overtook his face completely. This time, it was mischievous.

" And how did you know my name?" My mouth fell open in shock.

"Let's just say that you work with me." He smiled again, a slow devilish grin. If only he knew what his smiles were doing to my core.

"Excuse me, are you the bank manager for Heritage bank?" I asked.

"Am so surprised you still can't remember being introduced to me just a few days ago by one of the bankers as the bank manager"

"Oh. Yes! Thanks for reminding me. I was actually wondering how I met you cause I knew I had. Even if I really don't have a lasting memory, I don't really forget people's faces once I've met them"

"Wow. Nice."

"Oh Jeez! Its 8:15am. I am lateeee!"

"I called the bank to report the awful event that happened to one of its staffs this morning and they gave you till the end of this week to recover fully" he explained.
"I really feel bad. Its still my first week and this is already happening."

"Relax, you didn't bring this on yourself, it just happened so its not your fault" He said in a clipped tone of voice.

I placed a call to my mom and explained everything to her. She was surprised my so called bank manager had to bring me to his house after such incident and not the hospital.

"Hmm. That's true mom, I didn't even think about that" I said, pursing my lips to the side.

"How will you think about that iwo omo yi? I can tell you are already comfortable there. He has probably given you 500 naira sharwarma abi chicken and chips that's why you are not thinking straight. Anyway is he there let me greet him"

"He's here" I said, looking at him to check if he would like to speak with my mom. He nodded slowly , giving me one of his impish smiles again while I gave him the phone.

"Hello Oko mi. Thank you my dear, God bless you, God will keep protecting you ehn?" I heard my mom begin. Then she continued with prayers while he soothed with a gentle smile.

'Please what's with the oko mi now' I thought. Must she call every male specie she comes across Oko mi(my husband). Her husband is definitely somewhere chopping and enjoying his life. I thought and gave a loud hiss. He stared at me and shook his head slowly. Like he knew what I was thinking. I quickly averted my gaze from him.

The call ended and I looked at him deeply. I was carried away with his looks and appearance that I didn't even ask him the necessary questions. Why wasn't he at the bank? Why was he with me?

"Hey, I was just wondering why you didn't take me to the hospital but your house. And were you not scared helping me last night? I mean I might have given up the ghost inside your car which would have obviously stirred up a big trouble for you." I asked. The room seemed to grow dim so I had a better view of him and the small space between us since he was close to me.

I saw his face fall. His mood changed. He was no longer smiling. "Wow. I have hit a nerve. But what did I say wrong na" I wondered as I waited for him to give me a reply.

"I helped you because I knew you and because it has been in my blood to help. If someone had helped my brother when he had an accident eight years ago then he would not have died. Since then, I made up my mind to always help whether its convenient for me or not. And when I carried you inside my car. I immediately put a call through to my doctor.

He came ASAP as I explained to him that it was an emergency. More so, going to the hospital might be a little bit complicated. They might be asking for a new folder to be opened or a police report to be brought and your life was too much at risk for that" He explained in a droll tone and left the room. There was deep sadness written all over is face. I could not even ask him if he was on leave or why he didn't go to the bank. Or even his name!

"I guess I should just let him be"
I walked to the bathroom and put on the shower.

The warm water from the shower helped untangle the soreness I felt all over my body. I quickened my bathe, dressed up and stared at my reflection on the big vanity mirror in the room. I had some red and swollen bruises on my nose, neck and left cheek. I let out a groan. I was concerned about the scars and patches the bruises would cause to my face. Obviously, it would make my face less beautiful.

'But thank God I didn't die too' I said, lifting my hands up to God in praises. That was what mattered the most. I didn't die.

"I am ready to leave" I said as I walked into the tastefully furnished sitting room. It was the exact definition of a bachelor's parlour. A few electronics, a rug, standing fan and a Samsung TV.

"You have a nice place by the way" I said as my eyes rummaged the room. It was actually a very nice place. The interior decoration was the bomb! The painting and designs were dope. Light brown classic danish couches were placed at each corner of the room. Then there was a modern lounge sofa at one of the rare edges.

'Thank you' he muttered after several moments trapped under the heat of his penetrating stare. He was clearly still sulking.
I badly wanted to know the late brother of his he was referring to.

I badly wanted to know the late brother of his he was referring to. How it all happened and all but I knew that wasn't the right time to ask those questions. Not in the mood he was definitely.

"Adetola, don't be silly!" I had mentally chastised myself.

"Give me a minute, let me get my car key so I would drop you off"

"No please. You don't have to bother yourself with that. I'll be fine" I spoke with a false confident voice. I slanted a glance in his direction with one bar of my eyebrows rising above a lock of black hair resting on my forehead.

He looked at me and I wished I had something to run my fingers around as my hands shook nervously. Probably my bag or phone but there was none. So I just stood there glaring at him back with my hands down idly.

"I insist" His authoritative voice broke the silence, making my heart lurch.

Gosh! That was something James possessed too. Authoritativeness. This young man here also possessed it.

I made a calculative guess that he would be as bossy as James because after my experience with my ex. I concluded mentally that guys that possess that one thing were ways bossy, self centered and commanding. He emerged from a room a few minutes later clad in a grey sweat pant, black V-neck top and a pair of black flip flops. He walked with big strides towards the exit and I followed suit like a loyal dog.

We got outside and I had the chance to do full scrutiny on his apartment. He was living in a big bungalow. Not too big anyways but big enough for a bachelor.

Wait. Who actually told me this handsome sweet young man here isn't taken that I kept referring to him as a bachelor. I frowned as the thoughts of him married to an equally pretty woman flashed through my mind. I must confess that thought made me jealous. It really bugged my brains. I hoped he wasn't married anyway.

"Jeez! Tola. Why are you thinking like this? You just had a break up and all You're already thinking about is getting into the arms of another man. Nawa for you o" I scolded myself with my mental faculties.

"Can we go now?" Came his husky raspy voice again. He stared at me again and I could swear his gaze was boring a hole right in my face!

I gulped the saliva that was slightly accumulated in my mouth which seemed to have taken away my voice but I eventually found it.

1 Like

Re: Yes I Do.... by DemiKOL(f): 1:49pm On Sep 07, 2018
weldone! roniex2
Re: Yes I Do.... by Kingjames(m): 3:47pm On Sep 07, 2018
can someone send the concluding part of this story to my mail
Re: Yes I Do.... by roniex2(f): 5:53pm On Sep 09, 2018
"Can we go now?" Came his husky raspy voice again. He stared at me again and I could swear his gaze was boring a hole right in my face!
I gulped the saliva that was slightly accumulated in my mouth which seemed to have taken away my voice but I eventually found it.
"Oh yes. Am sorry about that" I said, drawing my tongue against my teeth. I was embarrassed. How more embarrassing could today get? He must have caught me thinking and examining his apartment like a detective looking for a concrete evidence at a crime scene.
In no time we were on the road. He kept Silent and his eyes were on the road. Many times he got into pot holes and ditched he could have avoided. He was apparently not concentrating. The silence inside the car was really getting to me. It was like we were both tensed or I had to break it by clearing my throat in a pretty awkward manner. It didn't seem to work as his eyes were still glued on the road and he looked extremely sad. His brother's demise was a bad memory. Quite bad to start a new day. And since I caused it, I decided to start a conversation.
"So what's your name, Sir?" I asked, stressing the 'sir'. It had to be there regardless. He was my boss.
He remained cold and silent. My heart sank but I got the message perfectly. Trust me, I drifted into a shell and remained silent too. I only spoke when necessary and that was when I had to give him directions since he didn't know my house. "Turn left" I said sharply.
Surprisingly, he turned right.
"I said turn left" I spoke louder and explicitly.
He didn't budge, instead he continued driving.
I didn't know whether to feel angry but I just felt pissed. Suddenly, he parked in front of a big phone mart and alighted. He ordered me to alight too but I still had my butt fixed on the seat.
"Tola! Get down" He ordered again.
In my mind I was like 'who does this one think he is that he would be commanding me anyhow like a baby in public after acting so rude and cold to me all along' I didn't move from where I was. With the corner of my eyes, I saw him coming to the other side of the car. He opened the car and asked me to get down softly. I got down since I was almost dying to know what he was up to. I was still in suspense.
He walked inside the phone mart and I just watched him from afar, trying to figure out the stunt he was pulling. He came back to pick his wallet and went back again.
Some minutes later, he came out with a box of Samsung S6 edge and a receipt on his other hand. "This is for you" he said in the iciest tone I had ever heard as he stretched forth the box.

I was shocked to my bones. I was virtually tongue-tied.
I felt insulted, it was like a slap on my face. Part of me wanted to give him a resounding slap while the other part of me wanted to just walk out of his sight.
Why would he think he had the right to insult me and my personality by buying me a phone just because I was robbed? Did I strike him like a beggar? Or someone who couldn't afford a phone? Or an 'anyhow' babe?
I just stood there dumbstruck. I lifted up my left hand slowly and thought of the cheek to hit. The left? or right?
I slowly put my hand down as I realized it was my boss standing in front of me. I shook my head and hopped inside the car. He did the same and he began driving me home again. I only spoke when necessary and when I did, I spoke in monosyllables.
I was literally burning with anger inside of me, even if he was the richest man in the world, must he rub his wealth on my face by buying me an expensive phone just like that? He made me feel like a cheap slut for Pete's sake.
"Thanks" I said and made an attempt to open the door but he quickly held my hand and stopped me from opening the door. I yanked off his hand and got down. I was about crossing to the other side of the road that led to my apartment when he pulled me back and since I wasn't expecting the gravity of his pull, I miscalculated my steps and fell into his arms. I felt goosebumps raise on my skin as we both stared at each other. A short breath escaped harshly from my throat. He shoved my hair back from my face and wiped a bead of sweat from my nose. My heart beat widely and my skin flushed a deep shade of pink. Warm honey brown eyes gazed deeply into mine, chasing away all the hot balls of anger I had inside me. One arm came around my waist, hauling me tight against his body and keeping me upright as my shoes threatened to slip. For the first time in nearly an hour, he grinned, his teeth startling white in his tanned face. My heart thumped against my breast as I took in the close view of his full luscious lips and strong jaw and I instantly felt something flip over in my belly.
Damn! James didn't have half of this effect in my body. So who was this man that could elicit so immediate a sweet response within me.
The warmth of his body where it was pressed against mine was a delicious counterpart to the cold breeze swirling around us. He smelled so divine, masculine, clean and crisp like fresh snowfall.
Gosh! He wasn't just attractive, he was downright gorgeous. Every inch of him exuded maleness in an almost primal way. I could bet that in the whole of my twenty five years on planet earth, he was the first man I had ever seen with such a hot tempting body and face.
I could bet that in the whole of my twenty five years on planet earth, he was the first man I had ever seen with such a hot tempting body and face which sent cold sparks of electricity down my spine in a way I couldn't explain.
I stared at him as he stared back and taking his eyes in lit a fire in me that started from embers I hadn't realised burned within me.
A loud deafening horn blared and that was when we realized we were not only in the middle of the road but had attracted quite a number of eyes.

I quickly got a hold of myself and walked away. I knocked at the gate and the gateman opened for me with surprise and confusion flustered on his face. "Auntie Tola, wetin shele?" He asked. I just waved him off and stepped inside the house. I saw my mom cooking in the kitchen. I greeted firmly and went to my room. Memories of what happened in the last few minutes came rushing to me with force. I heaved a sigh.
'He couldn't even chase after me' I muttered under my breathe disappointedly.
I went to the toilet and sat on the toilet seat. I emptied my bowels and buried my face on my palms. I thought of James and my five years relationship with him. Five years of my life wasted! It hurt. It really did. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I flushed the W.C and walked slowly to my room. I slumped on my bed and let the tears flow freely. I felt very sad. That feeling you get when you've struggled to build something for a long time and when you thought that was it, there was a twitch and it crumbles before your eyes. I felt like a failure, I felt like I was the one who couldn't change my name, I felt like I couldn't love him enough for him to change for me. I wept and soaked my sheets with tears. I felt a hand on my back. I quickly wiped my face and lifted it up to see my mom sitting on the bed. She rubbed my back and pulled me closer to her like she knew what happened.
"Its okay, my baby. Stop crying" she consoled and pecked me.
There was this mother and daughter aura in the room and I felt that was what I needed. I looked at her and told her everything. Everything about James and the break-up. She told me that as much as she loved James like her own son, she was proud and in full support of my decision.
She smiled and consoled me sweetly.
"Thanks mom. I love you so much" I said and hugged her tightly.
"Auntie Tola, Oga dey look for you o" Came the Gateman's voice.
"Okoro, tell him to come in" my mom spoke loud enough for him to hear where he was.
"Are you expecting anyone?" She asked me as she searched my face for any clue.
That moment, there was only one person my mind. Him. I really wanted to see him again. His gorgeous, handsome face that would send away all the sorrows in my heart.
I went to the sitting room and my mom followed behind me closely. I was disappointed when I saw the person I least expected.
"What are you doing here?" I barked with all the pains surging through my body. "Please, Adetola. Just listen to me please. Give us a chance again, don't give up on us" James pleaded on his knees.
I felt it was either I was dreaming or hallucinating.

Seriously? James begging, on his knees? It was something I never ever imagined of him.
"James. Get the hell out of here!" I uttered explosively.
As if the moment couldn't get any more dramatic, the door opened and He walked in.
"Tola..." My name slipped out of his lips slowly. He looked with his sweet warm eyes from me to James and back to me again. "Errm.. Boda James, please come and be going. Eshe, the one you have done in her life is okay. E Pele" my mom quickly intervened. I blessed her with every breathe in my body. I loved my mom for that, she knew when to come in and when to leave me to handle my problems.
James was surprised. I was sure he was even expecting my mom to be pleading on his behalf. He looked pleadingly into my mom's eyes to see If he could get some pity from her but my mom threw her eyes away like he didn't exist.
"I said come and be going Mr man. Respect yourself please" she warned sternly.

James got up from his knees and found his way out. But not without giving the man by the door a killing stare. "Good riddance" I spoke out loud.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Lest We Forget / Academy And Mtvu Launch “Oscar® Correspondent Contest” For College Journalists / How To Start Writing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.