Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:43 AM

How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: (1454 Views)

WATCH THIS SPACE (Electrical Showcase & Review) / Spend Half That Cost on Building Your House? / How To Minimise Theft On Construction Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: by thirdeye(m): 2:15pm On Jun 30, 2010
This topic was inspired based on the experience I had recently with a building I was involved in. The money we expected to spend really overshot my expectations. Some of the reasons are also included.

http://buildingcontractorsecrets.com/2010/06/how-to-minimise-the-cost-of-building-your-house-and-still-produce-high-quality-houses/
Re: How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: by babaeko1: 3:06pm On Jun 30, 2010
Nice post thanks.
Re: How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: by thirdeye(m): 3:31pm On Jun 30, 2010
@baba_eko, thanks I am happy u like it.
Re: How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: by babaeko1: 3:38pm On Jun 30, 2010
Just out of curiosity, which area of lagos did it cost you 9M to lay foundation and roughly how long does it take.
Can i also ask you, if one is looking at building a block of 4 flats and penthouse at the top. would the foundation be different to say 2 wings of duplex ?
Also, fancy house designs does it mean that the cost of building will be high.
Any experience of building within the Lekki axis as opposed to buying an uncompleted building and lastly, if i want to build stress free, what should I do ?
Re: How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: by thirdeye(m): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2010
@baba_eko,
The project is a twin duplex in Ajah. The soil in question is swampy.
The difference in foundation may not be much but the penthouse will cost u more.
Not all fancy house design, but bogus house designs.
I think is better you build fresh.
To build stress free. Get a surveyor b4 buying d land to check if the land falls into govt acqd zones, get a lawyer for ur paperworks, employ a building professional to oversee ur project, if need be run from swampy areas.
Also read-

http://buildingcontractorsecrets.com/2009/09/steps-to-take-before-buying-land-in/

http://buildingcontractorsecrets.com/2007/10/factors-that-contributes-to-cost-of/
Re: How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: by babaeko1: 5:25pm On Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the post, I can also see other things that you have talked about. I find it quite useful. Also the 9M cost, was this mainly for sand filling etc. Also, do you know anything about Sangotedo area and does it suffer from thesame fate ?

I also note that, land on the side where VGC is, i.e around Sangotedo is more sought after and more expensive than ones on Wadbash hotel side. Any reason for this.

Also, I note you are an architect, which kind of property is more popular around the Sangotedo area for renting out and also living there personally as well. My other question concerns flooding which happens when it rains, this is due to bad drainage system or no drainage system at all, what can one do in such a situation, where you find that your car cannot even drive to the front of your house as you don't want it to sink. I understand that most house builders now building drainage system to cover the front of their respective houses.
Re: How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: by kingboy(m): 7:08pm On Jun 30, 2010
3rd eye

this is interesting and i have subscribed for more useful tips.
my question is this for a storey building in mowe,does all that was spelt out in the article needed e.g the german floor after the pvc or can you continue building and do the german floor later cos you hear some people say things like that when you are on site(it does not matter,experience is the best teacher).pls what is your take on this.
cheers
Re: How To Minimise The Cost Of Building Your House And Still Produce High Quality: by thirdeye(m): 9:39pm On Jul 01, 2010
@Baba_eko,
The 9m cover expenses such as sand filling, filling of the road to get to site, executing the project to dpc level. Sangotedo area may have some sides that are also suffering the same fate. The swamp does not cover the whole area this project is. So any other area may be difficult to decide until u get to where you want to build.
Nigerians crave to stay around hyped neighbourhoods, as u know VGC is popular so also the rush for lands around in short demands is what drives prices. Though i am not familiar with that hotel.
In Ajah and environs for renting it has to be 2 bedroom flats and one room selfcontain. House rent here is high so people goes for lower rooms flats and selfcontain. Don't waste ur time with a duplex, the shake in the banking industry has affected the rush for duplexes around the area most people renting then were bankers, u'll agree with me bankers are no longer been paid well.
For the drainage there is little u can do because it has to be a collective project for it to work, the only thing is to just do your own portion of drainage in front of your house.

@Kingboy,
Mowe has a very stable and good soil, so you are going to spend far less building in this area. Yes for the german floor some builders do skip it because the water level is very low, thoug is not advisable to go this way.

(1) (Reply)

To Let @ Gbagada For 1yr And Mini Flat To Let @ Gbagada Phase 2 1yr / SALE: 4 Bedroom Fully Detached & Furnished Duplex (peace Court, Abuja) / Granite And Sharp Sand Supplies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.