Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,774 members, 7,820,710 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Anyone With Information About Ethiopia - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Anyone With Information About Ethiopia (2369 Views)

Nigerians Living In Turkey Please Assist Me With Information / No Bodies Recovered From Ethiopia Airlines Crash Site / Professor Pius Adesanmi Dies In Ethiopia Airlines Plane Crash - John O. Oba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by Larrycool1234(m): 7:51am On Sep 05, 2018
Pls kindly drop anything you know abt Ethiopia, standard of living , crime rate(security), currency value,work (hustling) and so on...
Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by richeeyo(m): 7:59am On Sep 05, 2018
Please don't go there They are not friendly at all Nothing close to freedom of speech their And when your visa expires you would be on the next Ethiopian airline. Please do more findings on Google

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by Larrycool1234(m): 8:23am On Sep 05, 2018
richeeyo:
Please don't go there
They are not friendly at all
Nothing close to freedom of speech their
And when your visa expires you would be on the next Ethiopian airline.
Please do more findings on Google

Whoa! Are you there presently ? Or you have been there before?

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by richeeyo(m): 8:33am On Sep 05, 2018
Larrycool1234:

Whoa! Are you there presently ? Or you have been there before?
My father's junior brother was deported from their 2yrs ago Already he was warned

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by Larrycool1234(m): 8:52am On Sep 05, 2018
Thanks for the info.
Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 05, 2018
I’m from Addis Abeba.

Standard of living is low for majority Ethiopians because of poverty but if you have money then you can live a good life.

Crime rate in Addis Ababa is low meaning excluding small crime like pocket theft, big crimes like killing and raping is rare. In other parts of the country some parts have low crime and some aren’t.

About our currency, $1 is 27 Birr.

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by Larrycool1234(m): 10:26pm On Sep 05, 2018
[quote author=Hati13 post=70938718]I’m from Addis Abeba.

Standard of living is low for majority Ethiopians because of poverty but if you have money then you can live a good life.

Crime rate in Addis Ababa is low meaning excluding small crime like pocket theft, big crimes like killing and raping is rare. In other parts of the country some parts have low crime and some aren’t.

About our currency, $1 is 27 Birr.[/quote

Whao'!!!! Thanks a bunch ! How about getting a job be it teaching or any other jobs....: also hospitality towards foreigner esp nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 06, 2018
[quote author=Larrycool1234 post=70939124][/quote]
Generally jobs opportunity in the country is scarce but I heard teaching, marketing and accounting are relatively among the ones easy to get.

About hospitality, I read majority foreigners find it good. I don’t specifically know about Nigerians but in the area I live I see Africans and they seems fine with the locals. Don’t take the advice of the first commenter seriously when he said don’t go there. Yes there are some problems but few unfriendly locals don’t represent the whole population.

3 Likes

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by ednited(f): 2:41pm On Sep 06, 2018
richeeyo:
Please don't go there
They are not friendly at all
Nothing close to freedom of speech their
And when your visa expires you would be on the next Ethiopian airline.
Please do more findings on Google

It may be hard for you to get along with us but we could be friendly.

And remember we have a new leader now, there is freedom of speech and things are going well now. But as an advice, before you mention something to someone make sure you are saying the right thing next time

3 Likes

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by ednited(f): 2:51pm On Sep 06, 2018
Larrycool1234:
Pls kindly drop anything you know abt Ethiopia, standard of living , crime rate(security), currency value,work (hustling) and so on...

Am from Ethiopia too,

Here's some info

Don't expect the same crime rate in Ethiopia (if you are from Nigeria)., it is so much better here.

As I've observed, teaching is better in Ethiopia as a foreigner because that is a job easily found. (especially for foreigners). For example, the school where I learnt had a Ugandan and Indian Principal and also Rwandan, British and Canadian teachers.

The country remained unstable for like 3 years, even though things are going well now., I recommend you to stay in Addis Ababa because it is the safest.

Ethiopians aren't friendly as other Africans are but once you get to know us, it'll be cool. But you need patience.

To be honest, many Ethiopians don't talk about it but Ethiopians don't get along with foreigners easily, it will take them long. I've had a foreign friend at school and my Ethiopian friends didn't talk to her much. I was the one who was close to her because I knew how it feels. Those Ethiopians aren't bad at all, (I know them for more than 5 years). They don't spend so much time with her because they want to communicate in Amharic. That is all. But this may seem that they were doing it on purpose.

If you come here, you will see Ethiopians standing around the corner staring at you not saying anything. But don't get shocked (it's a language prob) not anything that is making them act this way. And sometimes Ethiopians aren't friendly to new things

Water, transportation and Electricity is very cheap

But Network is a real problem here

4 Likes

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by richeeyo(m): 7:33pm On Sep 06, 2018
ednited:

It may be hard for you to get along with us but we could be friendly.

And remember we have a new leader now, there is freedom of speech and things are going well now. But as an advice, before you mention something to someone make sure you are saying the right thing next time
You know am saying the ryt thing
Else you just changed
Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by BedLam: 8:01pm On Sep 06, 2018
I read taxi drivers use landmarks instead of addresses because Ethiopia wasnt a planned city.

Network is poor because of closed market.

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by AgentGoat: 8:27pm On Sep 06, 2018
grin grin

That's one hell of place.

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 07, 2018
BedLam:
I read taxi drivers use landmarks instead of addresses because Ethiopia wasnt a planned city.

Network is poor because of closed market.
The taxis are grouped into two. While the one group use landmarks as you said, the other one use address and is relatively expensive than the former.

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by Larrycool1234(m): 9:42am On Sep 07, 2018
ednited:

Am from Ethiopia too,

Here's some info

Don't expect the same crime rate in Ethiopia (if you are from Nigeria)., it is so much better here.

As I've observed, teaching is better in Ethiopia as a foreigner because that is a job easily found. (especially for foreigners). For

example, the school where I learnt had a Ugandan and Indian Principal and also Rwandan, British and Canadian teachers.

The country remained unstable for like 3 years, even though things are going well now., I recommend you to stay in Addis Ababa because it is the safest.

Ethiopians aren't friendly as other Africans are but once you get to know us, it'll be cool. But you need patience.

To be honest, many Ethiopians don't talk about it but Ethiopians don't get along with foreigners easily, it will take them long. I've had a foreign friend at school and my Ethiopian friends didn't talk to her much. I was the one who was close to her because I knew how it feels. Those Ethiopians aren't bad at all, (I know them for more than 5 years). They don't spend so much time with her because they want to communicate in Amharic. That is all. But this may seem that they were doing it on purpose.

If you come here, you will see Ethiopians standing around the corner staring at you not saying anything. But don't get shocked (it's a language prob) not anything that is making them act this way. And sometimes Ethiopians aren't friendly to new things

Water, transportation and Electricity is very cheap

But Network is a real problem here

Whao!!!! You are so detailed , thank you so so much ....

2 Likes

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by odigiri1983(m): 7:34am On Sep 08, 2018
It will be very difficult for you to get a job if you are not a professional with a special skill.Ethiopians don't speak english,very few do.There is a very low crime rate in Ethiopia,Ethiopia is a very conservative country.Ethiopian economy is still emerging ,there is unemployment and poverty especially in rural areas.Addis Ababa is very beautiful.I was transferred to Ethiopia last year,my major challenge has been food and language,I work in a very rural community.Ethiopian currency birr internationally does well but internally has a relative value,Ethiopia does not do much importation of goods and their international monetary policy is another thing.Get ready to eat enjeera,drink alot of coffee and chew chat......lol

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by ednited(f): 7:27pm On Sep 08, 2018
odigiri1983:
It will be very difficult for you to get a job if you are not a professional with a special skill.Ethiopians don't speak english,very few do.There is a very low crime rate in Ethiopia,Ethiopia is a very conservative country.Ethiopian economy is still emerging ,there is unemployment and poverty especially in rural areas.Addis Ababa is very beautiful.I was transferred to Ethiopia last year,my major challenge has been food and language,I work in a very rural community.Ethiopian currency birr internationally does well but internally has a relative value,Ethiopia does not do much importation of goods and their international monetary policy is another thing.Get ready to eat enjeera,drink alot of coffee and chew chat......lol

How about the way Ethiopians treat you?

I just wanna know
Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by BedLam: 9:07am On Sep 09, 2018
ednited:

How about the way Ethiopians treat you?

I just wanna know
How people treat people is not universal. Some people are naturally born dicck heads and you wouldn't expect much from them. And the kind of energy you pull around people, or how you treat them is the same way they treat you. I know a lot of Nigerians go to a place with the mentality that everyone should be nice to them and when this isn't the case, they tend to label that place racist. You owe no one anything and no one owes you a damn thing. "TREAT" is something people give when you have something in common or some of connection. In essence, no one really gives a fucck about you.

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Information About Ethiopia by ednited(f): 3:39pm On Sep 09, 2018
BedLam:
How people treat people is not universal. Some people are naturally born dicck heads and you wouldn't expect much from them. And the kind of energy you pull around people, or how you treat them is the same way they treat you. I know a lot of Nigerians go to a place with the mentality that everyone should be nice to them and when this isn't the case, they tend to label that place racist. You owe no one anything and no one owes you a damn thing. "TREAT" is something people give when you have something in common or some of connection. In essence, no one really gives a fucck about you.

Okay, I get you. But the words you are using are difficult

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Embassy Washington Dc / Omo Forest Reserve, Ogun State. A Place To View Forest Elephants etc / How Do I Become A Resident In Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.