Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,155 members, 7,835,849 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends Nigerian Soccer Teams For 2 Years - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends Nigerian Soccer Teams For 2 Years (723 Views)

16 teams for Afcon confirmed / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends Nigerian Soccer Teams For 2 Years by seunspice(m): 4:35pm On Jun 30, 2010
Nigeria withdraws from football events for two years By Felix Onuah

June 30, 2010 04:35PM

Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan has suspended the national soccer team from international competition for the next two years following their poor performance in the World Cup, a senior adviser said on Wednesday.

"Mr President has directed that Nigeria will withdraw from all international football competition for the next two years to enable Nigeria to reorganise its football," Ima Niboro, a special adviser to Goodluck Jonathan, told reporters.

"This directive became necessary following Nigeria's poor performance in the ongoing FIFA World Cup."

Nigeria were knocked out in the first round.

source: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5587826-146/nigeria_withdraws_from_football_events_for.csp
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends Nigerian Soccer Teams For 2 Years by seunspice(m): 4:40pm On Jun 30, 2010
Here is a confirmation of the story from goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/06/30/2003102/breaking-news-nigerian-president-goodluck-jonathan-bans

I am still awaiting an official confirmation from the local media. We should prepare for like a 6 year ban again from CAF, FIFA etc.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends Nigerian Soccer Teams For 2 Years by bawomolo(m): 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2010
political interference is not allowed in football.

most likely a false story
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends Nigerian Soccer Teams For 2 Years by Himura(m): 5:02pm On Jun 30, 2010
So what we were knocked out in the first round of the world cup.
Did we all suddenly expect to win the world cup after we narrowly qualified for it, This is really laughable.
Question is how do we really improve our football by withdrawing from international football for two years?
I welcome any insightful answers, damn
We improve our football by withdrawing from international football!!! How does one describe that?
Where do the new crop of players -assuming we got them somewhere-  show their talent and what they've got? hmm
No doubt our football needs a general make-over and you could say that this make-over includes both the technical front and the administrative front.
Surely additional bureaucracy and interference from our beloved big government hardly provides any new solutions. But granted that they do have some
ingenious "seven-point agenda" for "restructuring of the national set-up", then surely it's only wise to implement these great agendas while for-the-love-of-God they let continue playing football on the international scene.
I surely hope we don't come out worse off than Kenya after this two-year break.
It sure would be an ingenious plan that France, England and Italy could learn from, Nevermind that these three have been world champions before.
I don't see them tearing down their house.
RFLOL.
A letter to our dear Mr. Jonathan.
Please worry about giving us electricity for 24 hours, Others can carry the soccer burden.
sack who needs to be sacked, and retire who needs to be retired. I dear say jail who needs to be jailed and lets move ahead.
And lets see what the news guys have to offer.
Jeezzz!
what a head-scratching news.
makes blood wanna shoot outta my eyes.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends Nigerian Soccer Teams For 2 Years by Himura(m): 5:07pm On Jun 30, 2010
bawomolo:

political interference is not allowed in football.

most likely a false story
Touche to you sir for you hitting the issue right on.
Fifa just threatened to ban France recently for government interference.
the article says a "two-year withdrawal", not familiar with fifa rules so I don't know if a government is allowed to do that.
let's just wait and see what the local media says,
For our sake I hope this article is a joke.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends Nigerian Soccer Teams For 2 Years by mukina2: 6:06pm On Jun 30, 2010

(1)

Drogba And Essien Quits National Team / Nigeria Players With EU Passport / Total Sum FG, Dangote,adenuga & Others Splashes On Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.