Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:31 AM

How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? (10759 Views)

Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? / Security Personnels May Suspect Or Harrass You If You Drive These Vehicles / The Reason Why You Must Go Round Your Car Before You Drive Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by CarMecx(m): 3:55am On Sep 07, 2018
Knowing how many miles you can drive on an empty fuel tank prevents getting stranded. Nissan Altimas can go the farthest when the low fuel light is on.

Every driver occasionally lets their fuel tank get low enough to trigger the low fuel warning light. Even though we all know it's best to keep your fuel tank ¼ full, we still let it run low from time to time. Knowing how far you can drive on an empty fuel tank will help keep you from getting stuck on the side of the road.

Before letting your car run on empty again, it’s worth knowing just how many – or how few – miles you can actually drive after the light comes on. It’s also smart to know what else is at stake when you let your gas tank run to near depletion.

Is it dangerous to drive with the low fuel warning light illuminated?

The primary concern when driving on empty is the possibility of running out of fuel and getting stuck on the road, which is not only a hassle, but also a potentially dangerous situation. You may break down on the freeway, where the surrounding cars are traveling upwards of 70 MPH, or you may break down on a blind turn on the highway, where a vehicle could rear end you.

That said, driving on empty can also do damage to your vehicle. If you do run out of fuel, you can do damage to your catalytic converter, which may then need to be repaired or replaced as a result. Even the simple act of driving with a low amount of fuel in your tank can damage your fuel pump, as any debris or contamination in the fuel (which naturally settles at the bottom of the tank), will be sent through your fuel pump when the tank is nearly empty. You’re not going to ruin your car the first time you drive it with the low fuel warning light on, but it’s a harmful practice to do regularly.

How trustworthy is the distance to empty gauge?

Most modern vehicles have a distance to empty gauge on their instrument cluster, which provides an approximation of how many miles can be driven before the car runs out of fuel. Many people prefer to use this feature in lieu of the low fuel warning light, figuring that if the gauge says there are 20 miles left, then they have 20 miles before they run out of fuel.

However, this is a dangerous practice, as the distance to empty gauge only offers a rough approximation. This approximation is based on the average mileage that you have attained while driving your vehicle, which means that it may not be very accurate relative to your current driving conditions.

For instance, if most of your driving is done on the highway, then your distance to empty meter is probably not very accurate when you’re stuck in traffic. So while the gauge provides a fairly accurate approximation when your tank is relatively full, it shouldn’t be used to figure out your exact number of miles remaining in the tank when you’re running on empty.

How far can you drive on empty?

Exactly how far you can drive on empty depends on your vehicle, your driving habits, and road conditions. However, you may be surprised to see how few miles you actually can drive once the low fuel warning light comes on.

Driving on empty is sometimes a necessity, and when you find yourself in that situation, it is important for you to know exactly how many miles of range you have left. Figuring this out beforehand is a good way to be prepared when the tank gets really low, and to avoid a breakdown. If you notice that you are reaching empty unusually quickly or have leaking fuel, be sure to have an inspection performed as soon as possible.

1 Like

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by alonzoiv(m): 4:50am On Sep 07, 2018
I have never tried it before. So, i dont know. Once my gauge gets to the last mark, i start panicking and i locate the nearest filling station.
Nice topic. FP worthy. Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Alejoc(m): 5:20am On Sep 07, 2018
I will like to read people personal story about this
Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Alvin007: 6:19am On Sep 07, 2018
Driving frequently on an almost empty tank, can damage your catalyst converter..a.k.a ‘Indomie’ grin
The gas(fuel)in your car also acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail.

8 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 07, 2018
I drove my car on empty from Maryland to Awolowo rd Ikoyi and back to NNPC Oregun before i found fuel last December.

Car: Infiniti G35x 2007 cool

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Alvin007: 6:36am On Sep 07, 2018
Pipedreams:
I drove my car on empty from Maryland to Awolowo rd Ikoyi and back to NNPC Oregun before i found fuel last December.

Car: Infiniti G35x 2007 cool
It wasn’t empty after all.
Empty means unoccupied, vacant, bare. tongue

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 07, 2018
Alvin007:

It wasn’t empty after all.
Empty means unoccupied, vacant, bare. tongue

It was empty. Red line on the last mark before E. Computer was on 0km to empty. I guess it has a big reservor

4 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Alvin007: 6:48am On Sep 07, 2018
Pipedreams:

It was empty. Red line on the last mark before E. Computer was on 0km to empty. I guess it has a big reservor
Just teasing you bruv....it’s still not empty..since there’s still fuel in it’s reservoir. tongue

11 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by TRYGO(m): 10:19am On Sep 07, 2018
If you say, empty, I'd understand that to be no duel at all in the tank.

The pictorial on display is for reserve, or something? Well, back to your question.

For me, j think it all depends on the vehicle brands, engine capacity, and driver's driving pattern/behavior.

I drove a Highlander hybrid 2008 yesterday, from Isolo to Ajah (Northwest filing station), stuck I. traffic, and back to the mainland yesterday, with the tank showing RED(reserve?).

The psychological impacts that had in me was huge. It was raining heavily yesterday, and here I'm, stuck in gridlock.

My wonderful eyes, were intermittently focused on the fuel gauge, while driving. I hate such kind of feelings.

Before I got to Gbagada, I was hyper... on the hybrid system(making sure, I was constantly using the EV mode than the ICE).

Got the tank filled up, and was good to go.

So, in essence, never allow your fuel get down that level.

Fuel systems are at a risks of sucking in diets, and for a hybrid car, you stand a risk of a depleted HV battery pack.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
www.dxta.net.ng

6 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Sunymoore(m): 10:59am On Sep 07, 2018
50KM
Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Fitbillionairep: 6:56am On Sep 10, 2018
You piece of shit never answered the question

14 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by SpatialKing(m): 6:58am On Sep 10, 2018
How far can you run on an empty stomach?
Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Fitbillionairep: 6:58am On Sep 10, 2018
Alejoc:
I will like to read people personal story about this
yes o , better than this copy and paste bull crap

3 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by QuietHammer(m): 6:59am On Sep 10, 2018
We should ask Adeboye

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by johnmattew: 6:59am On Sep 10, 2018
Engr adeboye is the best person to give the best answer

Awon RCCG members on nairaland where are u at?

13 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by kennypedia(m): 7:01am On Sep 10, 2018
If you really buy a car with your money you won't drive on empty tank. How much will 5litres cost that you will be disgracing yourself by the road side. If lastma or other transport managers catch you. Ehn

1 Like

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by johnmattew: 7:01am On Sep 10, 2018
from ore to Lagos....RCCG GO

3 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Ishilove: 7:02am On Sep 10, 2018
TRYGO:

I drove a Highlander hybrid 2008 yesterday, from Isolo to Ajah (Northwest filing station), stuck I. traffic, and back to the mainland yesterday, with the tank showing RED(reserve?).

The psychological impacts that had in me was huge. It was raining heavily yesterday, and here I'm, stuck in gridlock.

My wonderful eyes, were intermittently focused on the fuel gauge, while driving. I hate such kind of feelings.

Before I got to Gbagada, I was hyper... on the hybrid system(making sure, I was constantly using the EV mode than the ICE).

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Hoodbilonia: 7:03am On Sep 10, 2018
i did the same
drove from warri to benin
on empty stomach
i vex park
enter buka go chaow

2 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by frowland(m): 7:04am On Sep 10, 2018
Please no need for long story. Most car reserves ranges from 10ltrs to 20ltrs. Like my Ford F150 have a reserve capacity of 20litres, while the Camry and Sienna is 15ltrs. So where these reserve can take you to depends on your vehicle.

7 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by McGg: 7:11am On Sep 10, 2018
One daddy g.o MIRACULOUSLY drove on an empty thank

5 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by PDPGuy: 7:22am On Sep 10, 2018
I can drive 30 miles on empty
Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by stano2(m): 7:23am On Sep 10, 2018
Op do you mean Empty stomach with my Leggedis Benz
Op i have Treeked, sorry driven from upper iweka Anambra to end of the Bridge Asaba and i was still strong to continue.
wink wink

Check my signature for the best laptop deal
Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by hopefulLandlord: 7:24am On Sep 10, 2018
From Ore to Lagos

5 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by hotplate: 7:35am On Sep 10, 2018
all these people that don't even have a bicycle will be talking thrash
Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:37am On Sep 10, 2018
Not tried it, will never try it. I hate having less than a quarter tank of gas. Once it gets to the quarter mark, I top up with like 3k fuel and keep going.

6 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by ybalogs(m): 7:37am On Sep 10, 2018
Good morning Nairalanders.

Its a great day

Today is the Start of the school session in many schools. Therefore it's time to pay fees, do business and improve lives.

Its also a time to pray. Please spare a prayer for our school system

1. Pray that our schools are protected. No breach this year
2. Pray that learning will be impactful and effective. That education achievement will be significant and obvious

3. Pray for all stakeholders... Teachers, headteachers, care givers, support staff, school owners. That they will be focussed

4. Pray for parents. For finances to pay fees. For wisdom to devote time to support their children's education

5. Pray for government. Particularly for all the government officials in education who don't seem to know what to do.

6. Pray for Leah Sharibu, the chibok girls. Let's pray that never again will such happen

7. Pray that we shall all be alive with our children to celebrate the end of this session in joy, health and bliss.

Its a season for your child to blossom in school. Fear not, your child is a genius cool.

3 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by dapolaw(m): 7:41am On Sep 10, 2018
I drove my empty car Honda bullet from University of Ibadan to Abeokuta, my ATM messed me up and I had no cash on me for refuel. I didn't know how I did it but the car brought me while on red.

The car refused to start immediately I parked it at home.

3 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by Trackango: 7:47am On Sep 10, 2018
Warning light being on doesn't mean the fuel tank is empty.

No car can drive with an empty fuel tank

2 Likes

Re: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? by emmie14: 7:49am On Sep 10, 2018
If your pocket is empty pack the car. You are actually killing the petrol system like the injector nuzzles. You can't fuel your car after voting Buhari to increase the petrol pump price to #145 from #87. You're pocket and tank is empty yet you're shouting "vote APC; Sai Baba 2019-2023. Are you sure your empty tank can reach February 2019?. Reason guy.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Legal To Drive Right-hand-drive (RHD) Vehicles In Nigeria? / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drive On A Flat Tire / 15 Car Related Terminologies And Their Explanations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.