Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,615 members, 7,820,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips (25551 Views)

Earth Tremors In Abuja Earth Quake Feared / Abuja Residents Raise Alarm As They Experience Repeated Earth Tremors, FCT Emerg / China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by bigfish3k: 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
oyejideogunjumo:
same person. He came to power 31 Dec 1983 and ousted 27 Aug 1985 by Babangida. But it may be just a coincidence though.

this kind negative coincidences , na wao.
no positive one

hmnmn, we need goodluck somebody
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by DrHighchief(m): 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2018
Govt should should consult d services of Geologist/Geophysicist to unravel d mystery.... Wait oooo, does it mean we don't have a recording station that monitors seismic activities in Nigeria?
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by Dasgoro: 3:52pm On Sep 07, 2018
Be aware

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by Dasgoro: 3:53pm On Sep 07, 2018

Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by Asekhamhe1: 4:10pm On Sep 07, 2018
Make the thing wait first o Nigeria never better reach
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 07, 2018
HsLBroker:
The blood of the innocents they shared because of their greediness and self centeredness are crying to God for vengeance and God answered.
So the God of vengeance will kill more innocent Nigerians to avenge the killings of innocent Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by okwabayi(m): 6:13pm On Sep 07, 2018
HsLBroker:
The blood of the innocents they shared because of their greediness and self centeredness are crying to God for vengeance and God answered.
HAHAHAHA. Your God is very useless if he answers only with earth tremors which affect the poor innocent masses even more than the greedy corrupt elite.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by okwabayi(m): 6:18pm On Sep 07, 2018
If this thing really happened then it means earthquakes are a man made phenomena.
I read of minor earthquake scares taking place in the north circa 2014/15. All the events took place in areas well known for mining.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by KrystosCJ(m): 7:32pm On Sep 07, 2018
After the white elephant project to look for oil in the Chad Basin, this is what you get.

Rock blasting, drilling through metamorphic rocks, which by the way are much more prone to seismic activity in that region given the dearth of underground water to dissipate the energy vibrated through the rock layers, can induce mini tremors which when they aggregate can lead to the event that happened in Abuja.

If they know any better, they should not activate any movement in the Benue Trough, because a tremor in Abuja can affect areas like Kogi, Kaduna, Ebonyi, and Taraba.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by KrystosCJ(m): 7:42pm On Sep 07, 2018
GSA01:
The DG National Geological survey Agency said that Nigeria is not on the plate, hence we are at a minimal risk level when it comes to Earthquake, and he also thank The President Buhari lead administration for proactive measures in acquiring six Machines to trace such occurrences in Nigeria..

Plates can move and a tectonic plate is very mobile, albeit at micro pace. But there is movement. Nigeria sits on a craton - A craton is an ancient part of the Earth's continental crust which has been more or less stable since Precambrian times. However, there are fault lines at the surface of this craton that allow for water, natural gases, and oil embedded in the rock layers above the craton.

Movement along fault lines in the Earth's crust caused by the tectonic plates can chip off small parts of the craton and create micro-fissures where the impact of the friction may be transferred.

We may not experience earthquakes in Nigeria for a long time - say in the next quarter of a billion years - but we can experience tremors because of the movement of interplate fluids, orogenesis and the Earth rotation.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by obataokenwa(m): 9:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
I've never been scared like today...my windows started shaking serious and strange sounds from no where and I rushed out to run for my life thinking a rock close to my area has erupted and everywhere was calm, no reaction from any building and I quietly went inside..
The one that made me to quickly leave the house was when my toilet cover closed and I became more scared thinking a ghost is in my house...only for me to hear news afterwards that it was an earth tremor.

The strange sound from the ground sincerely makes me more scared till now cos I can sense that inside the ground something is going on that we may not know.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by obataokenwa(m): 9:10pm On Sep 07, 2018
GSA01:
The DG National Geological survey Agency said that Nigeria is not on the plate, hence we are at a minimal risk level when it comes to Earthquake, and he also thank The President Buhari lead administration for proactive measures in acquiring six Machines to trace such occurrences in Nigeria..
How can he know we are not in the plate cos this strange sound I heard on my bed that shook my whole building is not a thing to overlook at all. I jumped out of my bed straight outside thinking there is volcanic eruption.

I'm not sure inside the ground is OK...something is going on
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by Tinyemeka(m): 9:16pm On Sep 07, 2018
Said press release was just full of errors and half-baked conjectures. Most public-sector organizations are run by wacks!
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by emmanuelpopson(m): 9:36pm On Sep 07, 2018
boneruns:
That tremor incident would have been an opportunity to capture seismic information about the country, but we lack adequate and equipped geological research institutes, seismograph instruments to capture that event.

It just shows that we are not serious in this country.

Where is the minister for Science and Technology? The same man who brags about toothpick factory.

lol...does the agency has a seismometer to capture the data... even if they have,how wi the data be analysed...i think they should employ you to do the job sha...since you can relate with what may have happened.. you are a geologist i guess.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by Immarocks(f): 10:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
this reminds me of royver story........

"The day the world ended "

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 07, 2018
kokomaster3d:
More than 48hrs after disaster, we are receiving press release
Since when earth tremor turn disaster?
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 07, 2018
obataokenwa:
How can he know we are not in the plate cos this strange sound I heard on my bed that shook my whole building is not a thing to overlook at all. I jumped out of my bed straight outside thinking there is volcanic eruption.

I'm not sure inside the ground is OK...something is going on
We are not in the plate, the earth tremor was probably due to rock blasting in abuja.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by patwilly(m): 11:40pm On Sep 07, 2018
oyejideogunjumo:
Although we are not originally in the earthquake zone but much damage has been done to the earth by mankind which has drastically changed the earth and it's nature.The first tremor I can vividly remember was in 1984 that affected Abeokuta and Ibadan and now it is Abuja. Who knows where next?
Oh Elderly one. You sage wisdom is appreciated.
Re: Abuja Earth Tremors: FEMA Releases Official Press Statement & Safety Tips by patwilly(m): 11:41pm On Sep 07, 2018
HaileSelassie:
It is clear that we ain't ready for any emergency situation in this fcked up country...

Just look at how long it took to release a statement .

Sad thing about this Abuja earth tremor is that people who are supposed to be Geologists are already working In GTBank.

No Agency to trust

Na God dey save person jare sad
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long while.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer / A Cat And Dog Relationship(pictures) / Man Attempts To Control Electric Current

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.