Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Public Panic In Mpape District Of Abuja As Earth Tremor (earthquake) Show Signs. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Public Panic In Mpape District Of Abuja As Earth Tremor (earthquake) Show Signs. (337 Views)

Earth Tremor Hits Ghana! See Funny Reactions On Twitter / Python Killed And Cooked By University Of Abuja Students (Photos) / Fears As Earth Tremor Hits Oyo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Public Panic In Mpape District Of Abuja As Earth Tremor (earthquake) Show Signs. by Isiomabright: 8:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
Mr Alex Nwegbu, Director-General, Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA) has assured the general public not to panic over the earth tremor experienced in Mpape district of Abuja.

According to him, the monitoring involves reflecting seismic and gravity measurement.

Nwegbu said that the agency dispatched a team of geologists and geophysicists, immediately it received the news of a disturbing ground shaking, experienced by the inhabitants of Mapape.

“From the interview we conducted with people and the reconnaissance survey carried out, we found out that the vibration started around 2.30p.m on Sept. 5 which lasted about a second but reoccurred three hours later around 5.30p.m.

“The vibration was again felt around 8.00p.m which lasted for 10 seconds,’’ he said.

The Director-General said the survey carried out also showed that there were no cracks on the buildings or on the ground.

He advised that once people notice such earth tremor, they should move out of the house and monitor the progress.

Nwegbu, however, advocated increased funding to enable the agency properly carry out its mandate.

According to Nwegbu, earthquakes tend to be concentrated in particular zones which coincide with the boundaries of the tectonic plates into which the earth is divided.

The Director-General said that it was erroneous to think that countries or zones not contiguous with plate boundaries were aseismic.

Nwegbu said that Nigeria was not situated at
Read the full details
http://www.foxreuter.com/2018/09/public-panic-in-mpape-district-of-abuja.html?m=1

1 Share

Re: Public Panic In Mpape District Of Abuja As Earth Tremor (earthquake) Show Signs. by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 07, 2018
I was scared yesterday inside links hotel in Abuja. I was inside one of the rooms on the last floor when I first noticed the tremor. The walls in my room shook as if I was watching a movie. It actually happened twice. I thought the end had gone. I hope the building's superstructure wouldn't be cracking later sha.

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways To Make Money From Blogging / Pretty Lady Exposes Man Who Offered To Give Her 'hot S*X' On Facebook / Beggar Rejects Dirty N100, Asked For A Better One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.