Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,309 members, 7,811,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

Edwin Clark VS The Nigeria Police And The Infamous Sack - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Edwin Clark VS The Nigeria Police And The Infamous Sack (229 Views)

Briansclub.cm: A Deep Dive Into The Dark Web's Most Infamous Carding Site / Nigeria Police Academy (NPA) Past Questions And Answers For Free / Consult The 2014 Confab Report - Edwin Clark To Northern Elders. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Edwin Clark VS The Nigeria Police And The Infamous Sack by Globalpatriot9: 8:16pm On Sep 07, 2018
Edwin Clark VS Nigeria Police Force and the Infamous Sack
The Nigeria Police Force is a security institution saddled with constitutional responsibility of protecting lives, properties and maintaining order. The police force in the last two years has come under serious scrutiny from the general public.
One of such instance is the outrage that greeted the conduct of the Special Anti- Robbery Squad [SARS]. The complaints from well-meaning Nigerians brought about the much desired reform on the order of the vice president professor Yemi Osibanjo. Another action that brought rains of condemnation against the police is the force perceived meddling in party politics. The blockade of the Benue State House of Assembly remains a sad conduct in Nigeria contemporary democratic history. Therefore the credibility, neutrality, efficiency and professionalism of the police force will continue to come under close scrutiny by the public until the institution get its act right as constitutionally expected.
Let me use this medium to also state that the Nigeria Police force with limited manpower, welfare system and inadequate logistics continues to carry out tremendous security operations which is also highly commendable.
Nevertheless, the search on Pa Edwin Clarks house has raised concerns and debate. As an elder statesman who have served and continuous to serve the nation in several capacity some people are of the opinion as to why his residence should be searched!
I am not oblivious to Pa Clarks status and service to Nigeria but with all due respect I choose to differ with those voices that question the audacity and importance of conducting a search in his house. Nobody is above the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, not even the President. And in matters of critical issue like national security the supremacy of the law will always take preeminence above individual status. What people should be concerned with is if the search was in tandem with the rules of policing. Was the search carried out professionally? Did the officers in question threaten or harass Pa Edwin Clark? Was there a search warrant? Who authorized the search? Did the officers act in anticipatory defense of national security or are their other underlying issues behind their actions? Anyone can choose to disagree with me but emotions and sentiments aside these are the most logical and salient questions. The said search was because of alleged cache of ammunitions and if we weigh the gravity of what a single weapon can cause then we can understand that it is not alien for security institutions to carryout raids.
Notwithstanding, three police officers were dismissed by the Inspector General of Police because of the search. As a concerned Nigerian I strongly feel that these police officers were harshly dismissed. I urge the affected officers to challenge their dismissal and seek redress within the ambit of the law. I also urge the Inspector General of Police to reconsider his decision of dismissing the three officers because it will kill the moral of personnel in the force from discharging their duties when a matter of grave concerns involves the elite in the society.
Police the world over get information and not all tips are credible. Even in America and United Kingdom police engage in search and raids, not all operations turns out successful. Should we then dismissed our officers for every failed search when the affected individual is well privileged? How equipped is our police personnel in handling information? How often do the police subject information to the intelligence cycle before acting?
The Nigeria police should always take responsibility for their actions and inactions. However, I commend the police for their patriotic service and I sincerely applaud Pa Edwin Clark for the manner he handled the situation as well as his excellent conflict resolution and mediation efforts in ensuring peace in Niger Delta in particular and Nigeria at large.
God bless and long live The Federal Republic of Nigeria.
KELECHI CHINAKA is a knowledge contributor in National and International Affairs. Contact me via kelechinaka@gmail.com your criticism, opinions, contributions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(1) (Reply)

Shocking Video: Rivers State Secretariat Elevator Now A Water Transport Channel / Job Vacancy: Product & Brand Manager Urgently Needed At Rytegate / Hotsupplementboost.com/legendz-xl/

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.