Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA (32490 Views)

Ten Most Expensive States To Live In Nigeria Based On Inflation Rate–August 2023 / Heavy Flooding In Marina Lagos Drowns Cars (Picture) / Top 10 Best States To Hustle In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by dingbang(m): 11:10pm On Sep 07, 2018
Greyworld:

Exactly. The Netherlands topography is worse but flood rarely occurs. Netherlands means low land.
thank you bro. Some comments from some nairalanders make me feel all the education they had was a waste.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by zicoraads: 11:15pm On Sep 07, 2018
As usual, the clueless governor of Benue state, Samuel Ortom, will not do a single thing until it happens.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by arcnomec(m): 11:17pm On Sep 07, 2018
dingbang:
its not meant to happen when you have good drainage system!!!jeez

Are you sure you are okay?
What has hood drainage system got to do with river overflowing it banks?

Which state did you come from,if I may ask?
Read and comprehend before you type what you don't understand.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by arcnomec(m): 11:20pm On Sep 07, 2018
dingbang:
thank you bro. Some comments from some nairalanders make me feel all the education they had was a waste.

Rarely occur never meant it doesn't occur.
Haba,ask yourself if Netherland experience the same amount of rain fall per year as Nigeria does.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by obioma408: 11:21pm On Sep 07, 2018
The God of Nnamdi Kanu is punishing them, shallomo

Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by dingbang(m): 11:23pm On Sep 07, 2018
arcnomec:

Rarely occur never meant it doesn't occur.
Haba,ask yourself if Netherland experience the same amount of rain fall per year as Nigeria does.
you right but mehn the govt just has to work on inland flooding.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 07, 2018
dingbang:

Oga stop showing ITK here. Flood occur in advanced countries due to some irreversible natural occurrences despite the amount of resources they invested into their drainage systems. You are definitely the one whose educational qualifications need to be questioned.

2 Likes

Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Sheriman(m): 11:30pm On Sep 07, 2018
OK is All right
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by AmazingELixir: 11:52pm On Sep 07, 2018
donofdons:
This is a sign from God that the lord is angry with Buhari. The first earthquake earth tremor in Abuja happened yesterday and it’s epicenter was in Aso villa from where it radiated to the National Assembly and shook the very foundations of all army and police barracks in Abuja. The Supreme Court was severely affected with the judge offices collapsing. Now a flood of epidemic proportions is coming, that will be followed by a disease outbreak. The 10 plagues of Israel will happen in Nigeria except the president resigns and Our political structure stop their evil contract which is signed with the blood of the innocents.

grin grin grin

Guy you must truly hate this Buhari beyond measure.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 07, 2018
GrabHisBalls:
Don't let the name of the state deceive you. We're far better than some states in the West.
lol. Why west? Of all the region we have in Nigeria? You people are so obssesed with west. Why?
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Nobody: 12:10am On Sep 08, 2018
Why didn't they mention the headquarters of flood in Africa?
Lagos is already flooded yet they didn't inform it's government to prepare.

1 Like

Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Emycord: 2:56am On Sep 08, 2018
Juliusmalema:
Why anambra?
how do you mean?
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by oladele00(m): 3:32am On Sep 08, 2018
What is that idiotic saraki doing to stop the flood from ravaging his state?...He have got nothing to offer than to improvised and kill his own people..... Buhari will do justice to this surging menace that is trying to take away our lands from us.... God bless PMB
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by gaby(m): 3:43am On Sep 08, 2018
Putting out a warning message like this by the relevant agencies is the way to go and very commendable. This is what is termed 'Precaution' instead of 'Reaction' in world best practice lingo.

Not some chest beating and self-acclaimed expert some guy was trying to make me believe he was on the Earthquake thread.

Enjoy my siggy
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by NIGERIAJAGAJAGA: 5:02am On Sep 08, 2018
if Lagos state is not on d list, they don't know what dey are saying.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by jahbiz: 5:06am On Sep 08, 2018
londonrivals:
READ ALSO This Zimbabwean could be the first Black African to race in Formula 1

how Formula1 take enta flood mata? copy and paste Master I hail una.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by odaniel1(m): 5:43am On Sep 08, 2018
Adequate Drainage Systems!

This is what we lack 'infrastructurally' as a nation.
Till the govt substitutes flood as means of transportation and all of us land in River Benue, maybe they won't have sense..
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by AniMcBen(m): 9:13am On Sep 08, 2018
donofdons:
This is a sign from God that the lord is angry with Buhari. The first earthquake earth tremor in Abuja happened yesterday and it’s epicenter was in Aso villa from where it radiated to the National Assembly and shook the very foundations of all army and police barracks in Abuja. The Supreme Court was severely affected with the judge offices collapsing. Now a flood of epidemic proportions is coming, that will be followed by a disease outbreak. The 10 plagues of Israel will happen in Nigeria except the president resigns and Our political structure stop their evil contract which is signed with the blood of the innocents.

And what becomes of you and your family members when the plagues come? Was any Egyptian spared no matter how highly or lowly placed?
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by anjilgreat(f): 9:16am On Sep 08, 2018
dingbang:

You are right. Though some flood may not be fully controlled due to the peculiarities of some topography. Good drainage systems play important roles.

My major concern with Nigerians and the government is that they are reactive instead of being proactive. After the terrible 2012 flood, the government should have done a major dredging of these strategic rivers. I was in Benue State in 2012 and I saw houses around river Benue completely submerged in water. Up until now, that river ought to have been dredged because the government promised to do that and the issue of flooding in the state would have been minimized by now.

The status quo continues and more ecological funds for the affected states to be pocketed.

1 Like

Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by jazzy16(m): 9:17am On Sep 08, 2018
obembet:
River state na headquarter
I dey tell you. E dey rain for rivers like say the rain wan meet up em target
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Ezyp(m): 10:44am On Sep 08, 2018
dingbang:
its not meant to happen when you have good drainage system!!!jeez
Oga na river full ooo even the best drainage system will not prevent it. Na dredging me think be the best solution
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by SamuelEzeigbo(m): 10:46am On Sep 08, 2018
Thank God, Lagos state is not among
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by dingbang(m): 10:51am On Sep 08, 2018
Ezyp:

Oga na river full ooo even the best drainage system will not prevent it. Na dredging me think be the best solution
drainage systems play an important role in evacuating trapped water.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Ezyp(m): 1:28pm On Sep 08, 2018
dingbang:
Why you wan argue..If you experience the 2012 flood you will understand what I mean. There were no trapped water. Water de flow with high velocity so tey bridges were broken down, roads divide open. The river got filled up na make water flow enter road. So how drainage wan take help. Abi you nor know say drainage na send water back river.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:52pm On Sep 08, 2018
anjilgreat:

You are right. Though some flood may not be fully controlled due to the peculiarities of some topography. Good drainage systems play important roles.

My major concern with Nigerians and the government is that they are reactive instead of being proactive. After the terrible 2012 flood, the government should have done a major dredging of these strategic rivers. I was in Benue State in 2012 and I saw houses around river Benue completely submerged in water. Up until now, that river ought to have been dredged because the government promised to do that and the issue of flooding in the state would have been minimized by now.

The status quo continues and more ecological funds for the affected states to be pocketed.

Can you kindly explain dredging in relation to this issue .
Thanks.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:57pm On Sep 08, 2018
dingbang:

Oga leave this your drainage system.
The flood that happened in 2012 had nothing to do with drainage or dredging.

If it rains faster than the soil can accumulate thrre will be flooding.
we have different types of flooding and God help us, it is not the type that the underground water body builds up due to excessive under ground water current.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by ZaramT: 2:26pm On Sep 08, 2018
Alzirida:
99% of these states will do absolutely nothing in preparation for this Impending disaster.
They will all wait for FG

FG that will in turn do nothing but "blame" past govt, oppositions, corruption and defectors and still do "NOTHING".

Nigerian problems are deeper than the ocean.

1 Like

Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by anjilgreat(f): 5:28pm On Sep 08, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Can you kindly explain dredging in relation to this issue .
Thanks.

Dredging is undertaken to dig out excessive silt from the riverbed, which gets deposited over a period of time. This include sand, stones, plastics, etc.

When these debris are removed from the river, it increases the capacity of the rivers to take in enough surrounding channeled water and excessive amount of water due to flooding in the community by over 50‰ thereby relatively reducing the size of the flood plain in the community.

This therefore means that a lack of river dredging will worsened the impact of the flooding in an area.

The Nigerian government proposed to dredge these rivers after the 2012 flooding and even after the flood issues in some States as at last year.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:22pm On Sep 08, 2018
anjilgreat:

Dredging is undertaken to dig out excessive silt from the riverbed, which gets deposited over a period of time. This include sand, stones, plastics, etc.

When these debris are removed from the river, it increases the capacity of the rivers to take in enough surrounding channeled water and excessive amount of water due to flooding in the community by over 50‰ thereby relatively reducing the size of the flood plain in the community.

This therefore means that a lack of river dredging will worsened the impact of the flooding in an area.

The Nigerian government proposed to dredge these rivers after the 2012 flooding and even after the flood issues in some States as at last year.
Most of the flooded areas were not as a result of nondredging, but because of saturation of the water bodies.
If a channel gets filled faster than it can get discharged,it will get flooded, those areas had a higher volume of rain fall, not just in the channels but in the water table itself, I say this because of what I experienced last year.
Places that had no connection with any channel was getting flooded, water was comong out of the ground and refusing to go away.
Re: 12 States To Experience Flooding – NEMA by anjilgreat(f): 6:57pm On Sep 08, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Most of the flooded areas were not as a result of nondredging, but because of saturation of the water bodies.
If a channel gets filled faster than it can get discharged,it will get flooded, those areas had a higher volume of rain fall, not just in the channels but in the water table itself, I say this because of what I experienced last year.
Places that had no connection with any channel was getting flooded, water was comong out of the ground and refusing to go away.

Your point is actually right, I live in an area where water also comes from the ground and makes surrounding area flooded but a good drainage system in addition to measures like dredging of the river plays a major role to control flooding.

My job takes me to Benue from time to time and I must tell you that when I drive through the bridge on top of the river Benue in Makurdi, the large sand deposits you see in big portions even during the raining season and worst during the dry season indicates that dredging the river Benue would improve it's capacity to take more water. The poor drainage system in Makurdi worsened the last years flooding problem.

Delta State capital, Asaba usually experiences flooding problem during the raining season and the government is currently making effort to address this through proper drainage to the river Niger. If the capacity of the river is big enough due to lack of debris, flooding will be reduced to a large extent.

Dredging doesn't completely solve flood problem but reduces the impact of flood to a large extent and a good drainage system in addition to other factors can go a long way to help.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Husband, Wife Survive After A Tipper Lorry Rams Into Their Vehicle (photos / A Dangerously Unattached Container On A Trailer Spotted On The Road (see PHOTO) / Lorry Kills 3 As Anambra Revenue Agents Struggle For Steering Wheel With Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.