Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,061 members, 7,953,208 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:28 PM

How To Survive Being Broke - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Survive Being Broke (307 Views)

How can I stop being broke in 2020? / Tired Of Being Broke? See How To Earn Passive Income In Nigeria / Tired Of Being Broke? See An Opportunity Many Nigerians Have Overlooked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Survive Being Broke by spearszed: 9:30am On Sep 08, 2018
It's important I start with a disclaimer; I am not an Economist, nor do I belong to a profession its specialty covers financial advisory. So technically, this is not a professional opinion. It's just the talk of a (lame-ass) fellow who has a pen in her hand and forms a charade of using it(well).

I'll go straight to the point.

First, RETAIN YOUR DIGNITY. Right to dignity is a fundamental human right. People protest and even file cases in court if they are treated without dignity.

So do not strip yourself of your dignity just because you're broke. You remain entitled to it. Not that you should go about acting like a peacock. You are broke honey, no one would tolerate such nonsense from you.

-BE HONEST TO YOURSELF ABOUT YOUR FINANCES, THEN BE HONEST TO OTHERS.
Just in case your account balance does not tell you enough truth, it's important you tell yourself the truth about how much money you have in your name. Not that you should imbibe a constant reminder of your penniless status, but do well to admit to yourself that you do not belong to the 30 billion gang. This would make it easier to admit same to others and for you to conduct yourself accordingly.

- LIVE BELOW YOUR MEANS. Yes, live below your means. After all, even rich people do( the real rich people oooo). A rich person does not exhaust his fortune just to "live the life". They fund their luxurious lifestyle out of the abundance of what they own.

Why should you who is broke use your last card, or even borrow just to keep up a 5 kobo lifestyle. What happened to 3kobo or even 2kobo lifestyle. Turn to those ones(joor).

- SEEK OUT OPPORTUNITIES: I don't have much words for this point, but keep in mind it says " seek out opportunities, not seek out HELP".

-DO NOT TAKE LOANS YOU DON'T HAVE A MEANS OF REPAYING. When down and out, it may be convenient to turn to borrowing. An influx of cash would go a long way to alleviate your condition. But please and please, do not go about sourcing for funds you know too well that you do not have a means of repaying. Keep in mind, you are not the (Nigerian) government. You cannot rake up debit and pass it onto your successor(s). You are you, your debt remains your problem and would taunt you until you seclude yourself. Till a simple knock on your door would spike your blood pressure. It may even be Jehovah's Witness preachers at the door who came to bring good news. But no, you insist on turning your child to a liar by threatening to kill him or her if they dire say you are inside.

-DO NOT PLUNGE YOUR ESTEEM. This is similar to the first point, but for emphasis sake,I'll restate it. You are still a person of worth regardless of how much you are worth.

Always keep that in mind.

- EXPECT FEW FRIENDS. Nkem Owoh(Osuofia) tried out his hands in music a decade ago(just like most of his colleagues at that time). He dished out pretty good songs ( I don't know why he hung up his singing boots). He had this track, "Know me when I'm poor". A line in the song says " rich man get brother, sister, uncle, cousin, aunty". Well, the opposite is the opposite; a poor man has none. So it's better not to disappoint yourself by expecting to have a flock of relatives and friends around you. It's even best that way, abi you get money to give them a decent refreshment if they keep coming around?

- The last and maybe the least DON'T FLOCK AROUND YOUR "KIND". Things beget things. Even if you feel you do not belong with the class of people you want to be like, you can keep to yourself as you work on yourself. Surrounding yourself with broke people may make you see your condition as norm and okay.

Keep in mind that the topic of this epistle is " how to SURVIVE " being broke. To survive in this context means to "outlive". So your condition is not permanent in Jesus name. AMEN.

PeaceOut.

PS: Please do not ask me how I know all these, you'll know I'm versatile(in Queen Latifa's voice).

visit www.ezinnearua.com for more

(1) (Reply)

I Need 50 Conatiners Doussie Wood From Ghana And Nigeria / Online Web Design Training. Join Now!! 4days to go / HR4SMES : How To Outsource The Headache In Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.