Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,217 members, 7,815,253 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

Internal Colonialism: The Fight We May Never Win - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Internal Colonialism: The Fight We May Never Win (287 Views)

Atiku Can Never Win 25% Votes In Rivers - APC / Néo-colonialism The Major Reason Why The West Never Supports Biafra. / "Buhari Will Never Win In Kano" - Kwankwaso's Aide Hits Back At Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Internal Colonialism: The Fight We May Never Win by Boniface196396: 8:21pm On Sep 08, 2018
Just like the saying that whenever dry bones are mentioned, the old become uneasy, any time the word, colonialism is mentioned, an average Nigerian with a little knowledge of history becomes quite uncomfortable and alarmed. Colonialism is the dread of any people that have sighted even just its ugly shadow let alone those that have served under its throne of historic brutality and inciting dehumanization.
Understanding the concept of colonialism, as far as I am concerned, does not necessarily require any serious academic training. Just as the concept of poverty in sub-saharan Africa, the meaning of the common colonialism we know can be communicated even to the unlettered.
The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of English language, 8th edition defines colonialism as "the practice by which a powerful country controls another country or other countries." "Colonialism is a practice of domination, which involves the subjugation of one people to another" (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2012). Colonialism has also been defined as the establishment of a colony in one territory by a political power from another territory, and the subsequent maintenance, Expansion, and exploitation of that colony (Wikipedia, 20017). While Collins English Dictionary on its own sees colonialism as the policy and practice of a power in extending control over weaker peoples or areas.

As noted earlier, the concept of colonialism is not a big task to comprehend and this claim can be substantiated by those few definitions above. The message conveyed above is simple: colonialism is a policy of subjugation and intimidation engineered by a stronger state against a weaker one, usually characterized by brutality, slavery, exploitation, forced labour, dehumanization, destruction of existing local institutions and value systems and replacement of same with those that foster the goals of the policy and the use of military might to subject a people to a state of near-zero self-worth and total dependence.

This strand of colonialism is the one commonly captured by most existing literatures, and as can be concluded from the foregoing, it comes from an external force thereby establishing a kind master-servant relationship between the stronger and weaker nations involved. Usually, citizens of the colonized nation are unanimous in their hate for and condemnation of the evils of colonialism and as a result, fight from a common front.
The vigour and unanimity with which Nigerian heroes fought the menace of colonialism with their lives in line is a strong point in favour of the above argument. A number of factors spurred these heroes generally referred to as nationalists into unanimous actions. Such factors include: the denial of educated Nigerians of the opportunity to participate in government, disenfranchisement of Nigerians, domination of import and export trade by European firms, denial of bank loans to Nigerians ,payment of very low salaries to Nigerian workers among others (Nwankwo, 2002). As history has it, the efforts of these nationalists like Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Alhaji Ahmadu Bello culminated in the nation's political independence in literal term on October 1, 1960.
But the fight they fought and won was a fight against an enemy without not against an enemy within. It was a victory over external colonialism not over "internal colonialism". The concept of "internal colonialism" might not have appeared in any known literature by academic authorities and by virtue of academic qualifications, I may not find favour with scholars for introducing it. But be that as it may, I beg to be excused! The trend of events in Nigeria has become too worrisome to me that I cannot lay my hand on a better concept to empty my bowel of contempt than "internal colonialism".

The concept of internal colonialism only differs from the colonialism we know in terms of the force in charge and its delicate nature. While the evils of colonialism are perpetrated by an external principality, the same evils in "internal colonialism" are perpetrated by not just an internal principality, but principalities whose dominion has no shadow of ending.

The late popular gospel musician, Rev. Pattey Obasi once noted in one of his songs that internal enmity can be likened to a poisonous snake that positions itself across a narrow pathway and no one can correctly say where its head is. By this, the artist was by extension referring to "internal colonialism" and its intricately delicate nature. Dealing with it is as sensitive and difficult as dealing with the proverbial fly on the scrotum.

Oh! Hold it! You are doing some thinking right? Don't think too far! I will tell you who these indigenous colonial masters are. They are the men who decide the affairs of this nation; bona-fide citizens of Nigeria who have either by godfatherism or other sharp practices found themselves at the corridors of power where they ruthlessly spit fire and brimstone that consumes anyone that dares raising his head against them. These principalities are Nigeria and Nigeria is them. They decide who dies and who stays alive. They determine what is right and what is wrong in the country. They phrase and rephrase the constitution to perpetuate their dominion and consolidate their powers. The nation's resources are under their exclusive control and they determine who gets what and how.

These "indigenous colonial masters", both the past and the present, have a very tall history of corruption, exploitation, intimidation and self-centered policy formulation even worse than the then colonial masters. They only use the masses as a tool to achieve their selfish ends, usually playing very smartly to beat the international community and their ever beaming satellite.
No physical assault on Nigerians by the European colonists recorded in history paralleled the genocide launched by the federal government of Nigeria on the people of Odi, a town in the oil-rich Bayelsa state on 20 November, 1999. Nnimmo Bassey, the Executive Director of Environmental Rights Action and Human Rights Watch estimated that about 2500 civilians were killed in the attack with the entire structures in the town levelled with the exception of a bank, an Anglican church and the town's health centre (Wikipedia, 2017). No people in Nigeria had ever had it that way during the British colonial rule. I call it "internal colonialism".
Although it is right to argue that rigging of elections in Nigeria dated back to 1959 general election conducted by the British government that ushered in Nigeria's independence, the records of post independent election frauds have been unprecedented, grossly embarrassing and ignominious. Nigeria joined the league of democratic nations in 1999, but right from that year, elections in the country have continued to be a public show of shamelessness, institutionalized corruption and apparent desperation for power. In principle, power belongs to the people in a democratic setting, but in my great country, it belongs to those who control the instruments of force to the detriment of the people. For instance, on June 9, 2007, a sitting president in Nigeria accepted openly before the UN Secretary-general, Mr Ban-Ki Moon that the election that brought him into power was fraught with fraud, yet he couldn't tender his resignation (Nairaland Forum, 2007). The Nigerian masses are subjected to the position of mere slaves even in their own father's land by these brand of "colonialists".

The Nigerian masses can be imprisoned by these principalities on account of the slightest infringement of the constitution or any other law in the country, but they can go untouched or mildly caressed as a cover-up after committing heinous crimes. They are the gods of the land and as you know, the gods cannot be questioned by mere mortals except to their detriment. If ever you have heard of these "colonialists" who served a term of improvement on account of corruption charges, look closely, you must notice that they did not dance properly to the tune of the "powers that be". Even the current federal government that chanted the mantra of war against corruption has been severely accused that the moneys used to sponsor its election campaigns were stolen; yet, none of those fingered in connection with these moneys have been invited by the EFCC for questioning (SCANNEWS, 2015).

The case of Nigeria is the case of one of the popular quotes of the most currently cited African tyrant, Idi Amin of Uganda, " There is freedom of speech, but I cannot guarantee freedom after speech" (azquotes.com, 2017). The brand of democracy operated by these indigenous "colonial masters" is not the type operated by the United States of America from where we claim to have borrowed it. I think it is high time we stopped using the American form of democracy to access the "jamboree" played by these principalities and appeal to them to give us the true definition of their own brand of democracy. I believe there definition must justify their colonial disposition.

Now, having introduced the concept of "internal colonialism", the mind-boggling question becomes, "can the fight against this hydra-headed monster be won like its external counterpart?" A close look at the peculiarities of both concepts only leaves an objective mind with the conclusion that the fight against "internal colonialism" in Nigeria is far more difficult than the one fought by our past heroes that fetched us political independence and is not likely to be won in the near future. The reason for this may be that these "indigenous colonialists" decide the fate of the country - they enact laws, enforce the law, control the court system, own and allocate resources and have the power to give and take life in the eye of the state.The situation becomes more hopeless when it is realized that there is no international treaty that gives the international community the power to control the internal operations of an independent nation.
But does this mean we will perpetually remain subjugated to the whims and caprices of these ruthless principalities? What exactly can we do to gain our freedom from these exploiters? Do Nigerian masses really care about their freedom? Even if they do, can they garner the supports for such a fight? From whom will these supports come? These and many other related questions boggle the minds of many Nigerians and your answers are just as good as mine.

Boniface Ejikeme Itanwu
Ejbon2016@gmail.com
+2347065023522

REFERENCES
Ndoh, C. A. (2000). Imperialism And Economic Dependency in Nigeria. Nigeria: Achugo Publications.
Nwankwo B. C. (2002). Authority in Government. Nigeria: Abbot Books Limited.
Bankole01 (2007). Yar'adua confesses his election was not free and fair.
Www.nairaland.com/58631/umaru-yar'adua-election-not-free
Wikipedia (2017). Odi Massacre.
En.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odi_massacre
Www.scannewsnigeria.com/politics/apc-ministerial-crisis-screen-and-confirm-
refund-my-money-amechi-to-apc-leaders/
Www.azquotes.com/quote/7286

(1) (Reply)

I Was Never Interested In Politics – Dogara Speaks On Future Plans / Panic: Africa Western Tastes Incurred Odious Loans Now Chinese Loans / Biafra: Kanu Cries Out Over Switzerland’s Refusal To Grant Family Members Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.