Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,849 members, 7,956,180 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:06 AM

Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education (483 Views)

Thank God! Finally I Don Port! From Atheism To Jesus(Confirmation Thread)Update* / Thank God! Finally I Don Port! From Atheism To Jesus! Update* Conversion Story. / This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education by wirinet(m): 9:11am On Sep 10, 2018
The Commission on Religious Education in the UK published their recommendation to the department of Education last week, recommending that humanism, secularism, atheism and agnosticism should be included in religious education of children.

The commission said, the subject should be renamed Religion and Worldviews to equip young people with respect and empathy for different faiths and viewpoints. It further suggested that Content “must reflect the complex, diverse and plural nature of worldviews”, drawing from “a range of religious, philosophical, spiritual and other approaches to life.
- https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2018/sep/09/religious-education-schools-overhaul-reflect-diverse-world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education by Blitzerz: 11:22am On Sep 10, 2018
Atheism isnt a religion
Re: Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education by CoolUsername: 11:27am On Sep 10, 2018
And what would be the point of this? Religious education focuses on the theological and historical aspects of religion. Atheism has no compiled texts, so I don't see the academic merit in bringing it into schools.

1 Like

Re: Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education by CodeTemplar: 12:04pm On Sep 10, 2018
Call for atheism is like call for book haram ideologies to be included in school syllabus.

A call for believe in nothing will include a call for the theory that spirits don't exist because religion and God is all about the realities of the spirit part of man.
Re: Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education by wirinet(m): 12:22pm On Sep 10, 2018
CoolUsername:
And what would be the point of this? Religious education focuses on the theological and historical aspects of religion. Atheism has no compiled texts, so I don't see the academic merit in bringing it into schools.

The point is to teach young children that some people do not believe in Gods, spirits or heavens, so they grow up understanding and tolerating atheists. The idea is to stop children growing up to fear or demonize atheists or even think it is some kind of mental illness.

Till today many people in third world countries like Nigeria do not believe that some people can live without Gods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education by budaatum: 2:11pm On Sep 10, 2018
Funny enough, this is already done, to a certain extent. You can hardly hire a fundamentalist religious teacher to teach RE in a UK school, and the fact you need to post your curriculum online means parents would be after you if you do and withdraw their child if they wish. This does streamline things though, which is great.
Re: Call For Atheism To Be Included In Religious Education by CoolUsername: 4:14pm On Sep 10, 2018
wirinet:

The point is to teach young children that some people do not believe in Gods, spirits or heavens, so they grow up understanding and tolerating atheists. The idea is to stop children growing up to fear or demonize atheists or even think it is some kind of mental illness.

Till today many people in third world countries like Nigeria do not believe that some people can live without Gods.

Sounds like social engineering directed at kids. People should be allowed to come to their own conclusions as mature individuals. That's a very important principle to stand by, even when I disagree with those conclusions.

This edges too close to childhood indoctrination for my liking. I the adult and young adult population finally begins to accept atheism, (which is happening slowly but surely) there would be no need to teach kids about it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Q&A: Is Speaking In Tongues Of The Devil? / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens :sunday, December 16,2018 / Who Were Mary's Natal Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.