Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,770 members, 7,831,476 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) (9621 Views)

Free Scholarship For Medical Students: NYU School Of Medicine / Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students / These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 6:30am On Sep 26, 2018
You can't really say which is better, it depends on the angle you are looking at it from, in terms of getting residency placements, I feel USMLE is better because your scores carry points & when you do well, you can get into a good program, I don't feel it's so with PLAB, & most people actually use PLAB as a route to the US, because PLAB is cheaper so they go to the UK first & gather money to write the exams & go to the US.

Did I answer your question?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by fayded(m): 9:48am On Sep 26, 2018
benjola2222:
You can't really say which is better, it depends on the angle you are looking at it from, in terms of getting residency placements, I feel USMLE is better because your scores carry points & when you do well, you can get into a good program, I don't feel it's so with PLAB, & most people actually use PLAB as a route to the US, because PLAB is cheaper so they go to the UK first & gather money to write the exams & go to the US.

Did I answer your question?

yes, thanks.
I thought PLAB is for residency placement in the u.k.
umm.. so it's easier to get a placement in the USA than UK?.
I'm in my 500lvl.so I'm asking cos honestly speaking, I have no plans whatsoever to practice in this country. I'd love to leave after my house job or even during service.
I really need your guidance.
thanks.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 3:26pm On Sep 26, 2018
fayded:

yes, thanks.
I thought PLAB is for residency placement in the u.k.
umm.. so it's easier to get a placement in the USA than UK?.
I'm in my 500lvl.so I'm asking cos honestly speaking, I have no plans whatsoever to practice in this country. I'd love to leave after my house job or even during service.
I really need your guidance.
thanks.

Yes, PLAB is for the UK. I was trying to explain something, did you get it?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by fayded(m): 5:41pm On Sep 26, 2018
benjola2222:

Yes, PLAB is for the UK. I was trying to explain something, did you get it?

yes, I got that.thanks.
my question was I thought that getting placement at the UK would be easier than USA..
the UK is like 5countries right,so it should be easier.
so, I'm confused as to how people write PLAB just to travel and then write usmle.
can u please clarify this for me
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 9:14pm On Sep 26, 2018
fayded:

yes, I got that.thanks.
my question was I thought that getting placement at the UK would be easier than USA..
the UK is like 5countries right,so it should be easier.
so, I'm confused as to how people write PLAB just to travel and then write usmle.
can u please clarify this for me

Getting residency placements in the US is easier than the UK. UK prefer their people more. do you get?

2 Likes

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by fayded(m): 10:01pm On Sep 26, 2018
benjola2222:

Getting residency placements in the US is easier than the UK. UK prefer their people more. do you get?
Yea, thanks alot

1 Like

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 4:47pm On Sep 27, 2018
fayded:

Yea, thanks alot

You can send me a mail, we can talk more...
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by fayded(m): 6:51pm On Sep 27, 2018
benjola2222:

You can send me a mail, we can talk more...
I would love to...whats your email Pls??.. u can mention me on a dud thread and write it there.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 8:30pm On Sep 27, 2018
fayded:

I would love to...whats your email Pls??..
u can mention me on a dud thread and write it there.

Email is
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 12:15am On Sep 29, 2018
benjola2222:

Email is .com

Other Medical Students can send me emails too.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 7:23am On Sep 30, 2018
First Aid 2018 is a must have for Step 1.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by Zico5(m): 9:58am On Sep 30, 2018
what are the procedures for getting residency for dental surgery. Are they writing the same examination with medicine?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 10:33am On Sep 30, 2018
Zico5:
what are the procedures for getting residency for dental surgery. Are they writing the same examination with medicine?

No, You guys write the NBDE exams. You can look it up
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 3:33pm On Sep 30, 2018
benjola2222:

No, You guys write the NBDE exams. You can look it up

USMLE is for Medical Students/doctors.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by osamagbesmart(m): 3:24am On Oct 01, 2018
i want to suggest we ask all our questions here regarding this thrend's topic except when its personal so others can benefit from it and prevent answering of same question multiple times and new comers can gain a lot by just reading all past and present comment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by osamagbesmart(m): 3:27am On Oct 01, 2018
Sire,Just as u made comparison between UK and USA,whats comparision can u give regarding practising in canada,australia and the usa.in terms of the nature of their exams and the job opportunity rate
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 7:58am On Oct 01, 2018
fayded:

Yea, thanks alot

Another difference is that, PLAB exams is NOT Only For Residency, its also to enable you work in the UK. The US is not so, after the USMLE you can't just work as an MO(Medical Officer). You have to start your Residency. Working as an MO in the US is not allowed.

2 Likes

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 3:38pm On Oct 01, 2018
osamagbesmart:
Sire,Just as u made comparison between UK and USA,whats comparision can u give regarding practising in canada,australia and the usa.in terms of the nature of their exams and the job opportunity rate

Most doctors I know go either to the UK(PLAB), or the US(USMLE), & I have already compared the two. I really don't know much about the other countries listed.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2018
Ajet001
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by charleymed(m): 3:56pm On Oct 02, 2018
If you are currently studying for step one.
Hit me up.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 02, 2018
chufor:
Ajet001
Thanks man
I'm loving this thread.

Good job benjola2222
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2018
charleymed:
Hit me up.

You can go to [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] to get study partners, I got some there.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by Pilate2016(m): 9:26pm On Oct 02, 2018
Nice thread. Let me be following up.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 07, 2018
benjola2222:
Anyone interested can ask me any question...hit me up by replying to this thread...

My brother did those exams while still a student in a private uni in Nigeria. Hes now a consultant in California

1 Like

Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by GdexFolami(m): 4:43pm On Oct 07, 2018
stemmez:

My brother did those exams while still a student in a private uni in Nigeria. Hes now a consultant in California
wow ,can only step 1 get one interviews in US for residency?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by hizeeksheun(m): 10:18pm On Oct 07, 2018
charleymed:
Hit me up.
hit me up@ my email.
hizeeksheun693@gmail.com
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by hizeeksheun(m): 10:22pm On Oct 07, 2018
GdexFolami:
wow ,can only step 1 get one interviews in US for residency?
U start applying for residency after step 2 CS.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by gr8kevo(m): 9:18am On Oct 08, 2018
wow thanks so much benjola, I'm a 200level student of uniport, as you have said I will try to write the first step in my 400level, pls I'm really interested in those materials you promised to give. Thanks once again for this thread it has really given me some insight.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 6:06am On Oct 10, 2018
gr8kevo:
wow thanks so much benjola, I'm a 200level student of uniport, as you have said I will try to write the first step in my 400level, pls I'm really interested in those materials you promised to give. Thanks once again for this thread it has really given me some insight.
to you from [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] right?
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 6:50am On Oct 13, 2018
hizeeksheun:

U start applying for residency after step 2 CS.

Yeah exactly, though some states require Step 3. & for IMGs, Step 3 increases your chances.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 7:38pm On Oct 18, 2018
USMLE Step 1 everything you need in [url]usmle.com.ng[/url]
Re: Everything You Need To Know About The USMLE (For Medical Students/Doctors) by benjola2222(m): 10:18pm On Oct 28, 2018
Ask any questions related to the USMLE..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Sat For WASSCE Six Times –anthonia, DELSU First Class Graduate (photo) / NECOGCE Nov-Dec 2015 Result Released / Nnamdi Azikiwe University Prescience Program | Unizik prescience form 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.