Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,506 members, 7,819,834 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards (1865 Views)

Ice-Prince Wins "Best African Act" At BET Awards 2013 / What Nigerians Do Not Know About The Bet Cypher? - Save Nigerian Hip Hop / What Ever Happened To The Bet Award For Psquare,mi Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by rockers: 3:24pm On Jul 02, 2010
Jeweler to the stars Jacob the Jeweler confirms that Kanye West bought his new Horus chain for a nice $300K. Jacob created the custom-made link chain depicting Egyptian god Horus, as well as a four-finger pyramid ring, for Kanye’s comeback performance during the BET Awards last weekend. Both the chain and ring are made of 24k yellow gold.

Read more: http://www./2010/07/kanye-west-splashes-300k-on-custom-made.html#ixzz0sXEhpyg1

Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2010
then you wonder why most hip hop artist end up BROKE!!!!!!
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Acidosis(m): 3:41pm On Jul 02, 2010
Money!!!
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by naijadiva2(f): 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

lol, no lie.

i was trying to see what it was upclose, but now that i see it, hmmmm, really kanye you could buy a house with that, lol
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by atilla(m): 8:09pm On Jul 02, 2010
the guy don craze finish
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by osasp(m): 10:33am On Jul 03, 2010
nah mate. . .kanye aint neva goin broke
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by eldee(m): 12:42pm On Jul 03, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

Which of them??
Jay-Z?? Outkast?? 50 Cent??

He pays more than that in taxes anyways.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Krayola(m): 3:27pm On Jul 03, 2010
eldee:

Which of them??

grin
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by dominique(f): 5:20pm On Jul 03, 2010
all those blings will end up being auctioned by the time he goes flat broke.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by shotster50(m): 1:11am On Jul 04, 2010
Do you guys honestly believe this guy is ever going broke??
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by rockers: 7:16pm On Jul 04, 2010
lol at the comments here,lets hope his next album sells
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 04, 2010
eldee:

Which of them??

are you saying that since he pays more than $300k in taxes, he SHOULD buy some stoopid looking jewellery for that amount?!
pls make some sense because right now you aint.

dont look at the very LITTLE few that are successful as a general state of the hip hop scene.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by eldee(m): 12:03pm On Jul 05, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

are you saying that since he pays more than $300k in taxes, he SHOULD buy some stoopid looking jewellery for that amount?!
pls make some sense because right now you aint.

dont look at the very LITTLE few that are successful as a general state of the hip hop scene.

I'm saying because he pays more in taxes that help his country, you don't have the right to question what he spends his money on.
Don't bring in disses, you know what happened the last time you did.

MRbrownJAY:

Compared to other middle-school drop outs that grew up in the inner cities and had to end up in jail or welfare because of their low education and culture capital, I think Nas is doing quite okay.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 05, 2010
eldee:

I'm saying because he pays more in taxes that help his country, you don't have the right to question what he spends his money on.

who is questioning what he does with his money?! read again what i wrote: AND THEN YOU WONDER WHY MOST HIP HOP ARTIST END UP BROKE.
let me explain that sentence to you since you didnt get it:
you see, the LITTLE few who are wealthy will live extravagant lifestyle (because they can, why not?) but the problem is that all the "not so wealthy" up and coming artist who look up to the Kanyes and Jay Zs will want to imitate these very few who have REAL cheddar and so these lil guys will go and buy the same type of extravagant jewellery, the same type of 15 cars, the same type of mansions even though they havent go the money to sustain this lifestyle (just to portray an image of wealth they dont have).
the guys you mentioned were the smart ones who have branched outside of hip hop to keep their cheddar growing.

Don't bring in disses, you know what happened the last time you did.

i think you are mistaking me for someone else, btw what disses are you on about?

Compared to other middle-school drop outs that grew up in the inner cities and had to end up in jail or welfare because of their low education and culture capital, I think Nas is doing quite okay.

woah out of the millions that dabbled in the industry, a handful did great. what an achievement!
funny that you mentioned NAS. . . . . . . . . . . was it not him that couldnt keep up with mortgage repayment on his home, who was late in child/spousal support repayment ($44K per month) AND who owed the IRS $2,5Milla in back tax payments?!

its very easy for some to buy the "glitter" with their first checks but they quickly forget that out of a million dollar check, only about $400K is theirs. when they spend the whole check in bling (jewelery, car, house) etc,no wonder most end up broke!
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by eldee(m): 3:50pm On Jul 05, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

who is questioning what he does with his money?! read again what i wrote: AND THEN YOU WONDER WHY MOST HIP HOP ARTIST END UP BROKE.
let me explain that sentence to you since you didnt get it:
you see, the LITTLE few who are wealthy will live extravagant lifestyle (because they can, why not?) but the problem is that all the "not so wealthy" up and coming artist who look up to the Kanyes and Jay Zs will want to imitate these very few who have REAL cheddar and so these lil guys will go and buy the same type of extravagant jewellery, the same type of 15 cars, the same type of mansions even though they havent go the money to sustain this lifestyle (just to portray an image of wealth they dont have).
the guys you mentioned were the smart ones who have branched outside of hip hop to keep their cheddar growing.

Up and coming artistes that try to copy Jay-Z don't end up broke, they are broke. . . that's why most of them go into music in the first place.
I can't end up broke if I'm broke to start with.

And why I said you should get off his case is where you said 'are you saying that since he pays more than $300k in taxes, he SHOULD buy some stoopid looking jewellery for that amount?' . . . and I said he SHOULD choose what he wants to do with his money because he doesn't owe anyone.
Try Tosin's website: isityourmoney.net

MRbrownJAY:
i think you are mistaking me for someone else, btw what disses are you on about?

Erm, I might be old-fashioned but I know where I come from saying 'you're not making sense' isn't exactly polite.
The last time you started sumn like this, your chics begged me to stop.

MRbrownJAY:

woah out of the millions that dabbled in the industry, a handful did great. what an achievement!
funny that you mentioned NAS. . . . . . . . . . . was it not him that couldnt keep up with mortgage repayment on his home, who was late in child/spousal support repayment ($44K per month) AND who owed the IRS $2,5Milla in back tax payments?!

its very easy for some to buy the "glitter" with their first checks but they quickly forget that out of a million dollar check, only about $400K is theirs. when they spend the whole check in bling (jewelery, car, house) etc,no wonder most end up broke!

If you know how Nas grew up, you won't be saying he ended up broke.
He couldn't pay alimony and mortgage but he's got people employed under him, he's got people's families that depend on him to survive.
Dude, get your facts right. . . there's nothing more boring than an uninformed argument.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2010
eldee:

Up and coming artistes that try to copy Jay-Z don't end up broke, they are broke. . . that's why most of them go into music in the first place. I can't end up broke if I'm broke to start with.

fair enough, they return to broke after having tasted a little bit of cheddar and, if managed wisely, could have set them comfortably for life. . . . . . . .but hey, who am i to dictate what a brotha  should do with is money, right? 

If you know how Nas grew up, you won't be saying he ended up broke.
He couldn't pay alimony and mortgage but he's got people employed under him, he's got people's families that depend on him to survive.
Dude, get your facts right. . . there's nothing more boring than an uninformed argument.

are you saying that because he employs people and have dependants therefore his money problems arent relevant?!  if you have bills and you cant pay them, i doubt the people you owe the money to will accept that as an excuse for not paying. pointless to employ people if you cant manage your business right.

also, i didnt say he was broke, i said he had financial problems. he supposedly earns $250K per months but yet cant pay his mortgage and alimony. wouldnt you say that there is a problem here?! many people out there have millions tied up in different ventures and, although they are millionaires on paper, they have 0$ cash flow.
they should therefore live up to their means or lower their standards.

Erm, I might be old-fashioned but I know where I come from saying 'you're not making sense' isn't exactly polite.
The last time you started sumn like this, your  chics begged me to stop.

ok, let me rephrase that then so you dont get offended by my words: "i dont understand what you mean".

"my chics" begged you to stop. lmao. you DEFINITELY have me confused with someone else as i really dont know what you are talking about here.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by eldee(m): 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

fair enough, they return to broke after having tasted a little bit of cheddar and, if managed wisely, could have set them comfortably for life. . . . . . . .but hey, who am i to dictate what a brotha  should do with is money, right? 

Erm . . . the 'upcoming' artistes were never rich, so there's no way they could have had a chance of being comfortable for life.

MRbrownJAY:

also, i didnt say he was broke, i said he had financial problems. he supposedly earns $250K per months but yet cant pay his mortgage and alimony. wouldnt you say that there is a problem here?! many people out there have millions tied up in different ventures and, although they are millionaires on paper, they have 0$ cash flow.
they should therefore live up to their means or lower their standards.

MJ was spposedly buried in debt before he died, yet he was still giving out millions in charity.
You ever heard any accountant say 'when you owe ten thousand pounds, they own you . . . when you owe ten million, you own them'.

Bringing in Nas when we're talking about broke rappers is a joke . . . selling the rights to his 11-12 albums will probably let me quit work for life.
0$ cash flow?? You think Nas isn't spending?? WOW!!!
You have a lot to learn bout the music industry.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Travelista(f): 4:48pm On Jul 05, 2010
Kanye probably used his advance to pay for the jewelry; he'll most likely be able pay every penny of it back to the label. Anyway, I'm more interested in his choice of Horus; looks like that Swift incident really had him shook and he's trying to get back in their good graces. I feel for him, I really do. He's better than this but we all have a tune we must dance to in life.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 05, 2010
@eldee
who brought Nas in this discussion?! YOU DID, not me!

and as for MJ,we all know he was living above his means. his estate is only making money NOW because he is dead (no more lavish spending!).
giving money to charity is just one way of paying less taxes, anyone knows that! MJ situation is similar to NAS where a guy has money tied up in different ventures and yet has very little or no cash flow. MJ had to do the AEG concert because his cash flow had DRIED UP(or he would have had to sell sell sell)

talking about having no cash flow was to explain that although NAS has money (probably tied up), he cant pay a mere 44K child/spousal support to Kelis (or pay his mortgage).
NAS HAS FINANCIAL PROBLEMS, and thats a fact! the multi million  dollars he owes to the IRS alone is the beginning of it. its obvious, he doesnt have $2,5Milla laying under his bed and therefore thats what having financial trouble means.

its funny that you mentioned MJ because i was just watching a documentary where his manager was saying that if MJ had money, he would have still been alive because he wouldnt have had to do the AEG concerts! the only reason he accepted to do the concerts was because they'd pay him some WELL NEEDED $60Milla at a time when he was not so strong financially.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by rhymz(m): 5:59pm On Jul 05, 2010
Like seriously, what is wrong with black pple? A whiteman gets rich he creats wealth and make more white ppl rich, a black man gets rich, he buys himself jewelleries and puts buys some stupid spinning rims. A blackman can put spining rims on anything, even a toaster. . Scheeew. . No wonder they don't ve empires and generational wealth.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Travelista(f): 6:44pm On Jul 05, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

@eldee

and as for MJ,we all know he was living above his means. his estate is only making money NOW because he is dead (no more lavish spending!).
giving money to charity is just one way of paying less taxes, anyone knows that! MJ situation is similar to NAS where a guy has money tied up in different ventures and yet has very little or no cash flow. MJ had to do the AEG concert because his cash flow had DRIED UP(or he would have had to sell sell sell)

talking about having no cash flow was to explain that although NAS has money (probably tied up), he cant pay a mere 44K child/spousal support to Kelis (or pay his mortgage).
NAS HAS FINANCIAL PROBLEMS, and thats a fact! the multi million  dollars he owes to the IRS alone is the beginning of it. its obvious, he doesnt have $2,5Milla laying under his bed and therefore thats what having financial trouble means.

its funny that you mentioned MJ because i was just watching a documentary where his manager was saying that if MJ had money, he would have still been alive because he wouldnt have had to do the AEG concerts! the only reason he accepted to do the concerts was because they'd pay him some WELL NEEDED $60Milla at a time when he was not so strong financially.

No offense, hun, but you're wasting your time: some people think that when celebs spend money, it means they're balling. Not true. Most, if not all, artists signed to major labels are in DEBT. The ones pulling in cash are on indies and even now that's drying up a tad. When you receive an advance, Uncle Sam gets about half; then you pay your team and then take care of any other bills that are associated with that albums production. That's why you see some huge artists touring and promoting an album that came out 2-3 years ago; they owe their label money and can't stop until they pay off that debt. Doing a bunch of shows ensures that you can pay off the label and have a little scratch leftover to flex in front of your peers and the public until the next album is due and then, it starts all over again.

It's good that Nas was brought up. He's a hip-hop icon but, you're right, he's struggling compared to others on his level (which to be fair, there isn't anyone else on his level but whatever). Dude hasn't had a commercial hit album in getting on 10 years; Illmatic, God's Son and Stillmatic can only bring in so much and he and Kelis were spending like there was no tomorrow. And that's ok when you have money coming in but when things dry up, you still have the same people to pay with less funds. There were reports that he pulls in 250K a month but when you have at least 3 kids and an ex-wife to support. . . undecided. Things get tight. Nas had to swallow his pride and go crawling to Jay and even that hasn't been enough to keep him above water. Even with his financial problems, the worst thing he could do would be to sell his catalog.

MJ wasn't broke by any means but he lacked CASH; when it comes to paying creditors and you possess the holy grail of musical catalogs, they will stop at nothing to force your hand. MJ beat the white man at his own game and spent, spent, spent knowing his ace in the hole was Elvis'/The Beatles catalogs; the man was worth over a billion dollars but couldn't readily touch a dime of it selling without those songs. Also, giving to charity isn't what caused MJ's money problems; you can write off charitable donations on your taxes and I'm sure he took advantage of that.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by eldee(m): 10:30pm On Jul 05, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

@eldee

Dude . . . I used Nas as a generic term for all rappers that are not Jay-Z rich.
You held on to it like it was going to help your argument, sorry, it didn't.

Being in debt doesn't mean you're broke . . . not having any source of money is what makes you broke.
You're debtfree, does it mean you're richer than Nas??

Financial problems is a generic term. . . Bill Gates is having financial problems because of Apple and the competition watchdogs . . . half the companies in the UK have financial problems, we're talking about your 'most rappers are broke' comment here, what you said about Nas lost its relevance since you admitted that he wasn't broke. . . I repeat Nas is not broke. . . .

Now MJ . . . dude, stop dropping irrelevant B.S . . . was M.J broke?? NO . . . end of.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Ibime(m): 11:21pm On Jul 05, 2010
Thats a bad azz chain though!  undecided

If Slick Rick buy gold chain, would you say he is being reckless, or is he investing in his stage appearance?

$300k would not make a dent in Kanye pocket. Make una leave am. Kanye is playing for high stakes after the Taylor Swift debacle, so he needs to make a splash in every appearance. . .
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Nuriel22: 12:29pm On Jul 06, 2010
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 06, 2010
@eldee
the end of story IS: NAS is a rapper that has assets and yet cannot pay his damn bills. i dont know how YOU call that but to me thats being BROKE!
you can call it what you want. . . . . . . . . . he may not be broke in the ventures he has invested his money into BUT he sure is BROKE to the IRS, to child/spousal support services and to the BANK who lent him the money to buy that house.

here is another clue for you:
- if i buy a Ferrari but yet dont have money to put gas in it, I'M BROKE!
- if i have three kids but yet cant put food on their table, I'M BROKE!
- if i live in a mansion but yet there is no running water/electricity because i cant pay the bills, I'M BROKE!

the oh so common "ASSET RICH, CASH FLOW POOR" syndrome!. . . . . . . . .and if these assets dont bring income to sustain your lifestyle (like MJ or NAS) then you are in trouble.
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by tboy1(m): 5:02pm On Jul 06, 2010
rhymz:

Like seriously, what is wrong with black pple? A whiteman gets rich he creats wealth and make more white ppl rich, a black man gets rich, he buys himself jewelleries and puts buys some silly spinning rims. A blackman can put spining rims on anything, even a toaster. . Scheeew. . No wonder they don't ve empires and generational wealth.

I see you watching too much Chris rock tongue
Last time i checked Gold price is still going UP
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by eldee(m): 6:54pm On Jul 06, 2010
@MrBrownJay

Oh . . .I thought you just said five minutes ago that you never called Nas broke??

If you use that . . . everyone in the UK is broke.
Nas will feed your family for five years with what he's got right now, no insults intended.
Man Utd is therefore the brokest football club in the world.

If that's what you call broke I want to be broke like MJ. grin grin
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by craziest: 3:29pm On Jul 07, 2010
For NAS, Nas is not broke[/b]he is just avoiding giving the sucker all those money, IRS campaign was one of those things those 'white gays' used against NAS.

For Man U, still in debts but still buying players for millions of pounds. , and even Dangote they owe banks money, [b] Dangote is broke baby
. lol
Re: Kanye West Spent $300k On Custom Made Chain To Perform At The Bet Awards by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 07, 2010
eldee
lol, well i am standing by what YOUR idea of broke is and therefore since you so well put it (having no source of money), then if we follow what you wrote earlier then NAS MUST BE BROKE.

he has no source of money to PAY the bills he owes, if he did then he would have paid 1) kelis 2) the IRS 3) his house. why are you so blinded to accept that simple fact?!
or are we going to be as clueless as the previous poster and say that NAS just doesnt want to pay because he is against the system?! ahahaha
NAS just doesnt have the cash flow needed to pay his debts, as simple as that!

many people are in debts BUT the difference is that THEY pay back the installments they have in place from whoever lend them the money. why do you think MJ was forced to give away the rights to Neverland if its not to repay his debts?

as for MAN U, everyone knows how it works. the loan is due between 2013 and 2016 and until then, they can use the money that the brand/team/stadium etc generates each year to do what they please BUT when that bank repayment is due then they will either have to pay, refinance the loan or give up MAN U to the lender.
the important part is that THEY CAN REPAY the installments while NAS cant.

so you see the difference is just that some people can live up to their standards and others cant!

btw how can NAS feed my family for 5 yrs when he cant even pay HIS OWN damn bills, lol!
in France we call the nas situation: FARTING HIGHER THAN YOUR A$$!

(1) (Reply)

Who Has The Best Stage Performance Amongst All Ur Favourite Nigerian Artistes / List Of All Radio Stations In Lagos And Abuja / DOWNLOAD Yemi Alade New Song - Sugar And Spice (AUDIO & VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.