Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,430 members, 7,836,729 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama (359 Views)

US Government Starts Building Border Wall / Former US President Obama Surprised Hospital Patients With Xmas Gift (Pictures) / This Photo Of President Obama Joining The 'beard Gang' Is Breaking The Internet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:59pm On Sep 10, 2018
Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama
Bob Bryan
Jan. 20, 2017, 11:10 AM

As part of the broader economic legacy of President Barack Obama, from jobs to the stock market, one of the most notable changes has been the increase in the national debt.

Based on quarterly data released by the US Treasury, the debt at the end of 2008 — just before Obama took office — stood at roughly $10,699,805,000,000.

As of the third quarter of 2016, the most recent data available, the debt as Obama is set to leave office stood at $19,573,445,000,000.

Based on the website USdebtclock.com, which extrapolates the US national debt in real time based on committed government spending, the debt will be roughly $19.97 trillion when President-elect Donald Trump takes office on Friday.

Thus, the national debt under Obama will have grown by about $9 trillion, or an increase of 86%.

Some of this debt is attributable to bills passed by Obama's predecessor, George W. Bush, since the federal government's fiscal year budget operate differently from the calendar year. Also, both Bush and Obama rolled out large investment bills to help the US recover from the depths of the financial crisis.

A majority of economists agree that debt-financed government spending during the depths of a recession is a good way to help mitigate the impact of the crisis and help return the country to economic growth. In addition, the debt may not be a scary as some think, since the US is still in good credit standing and prints the reserve currency of the world.

Additionally, as the Obama administration often notes, the annual deficit has decreased each year of the Obama presidency.

With those facts in mind, the size of the debt increase is quite staggering.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/national-debt-deficit-added-under-president-barack-obama-2017-1

1 Share

Re: Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by Hanji(m): 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2018
Who dem borrow d money from?
Re: Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by Merimental(m): 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2018
d kind of news dis govt wil like to read ova n ova again n use as case examplary study to justify der own gross debt.
Re: Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by michlins(m): 9:33pm On Sep 10, 2018
Buhari and his African cohorts will be reading this and be wondering why we are complaining about the Chinese loan of $60bn when one administration in USA accumulated about $9trn.

APC rogues don see campaign tool and reference

1 Like

Re: Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by JUHABACH: 9:41pm On Sep 10, 2018

1 Like

Re: Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by budaatum: 1:23am On Sep 11, 2018
Trump supporters would not understand that all that money went into investing for the economic progress they seeing now under Trump. But I bet ya if things were now fuqed up, they'd be claiming it was Obama what done it! Smh!

1 Like

Re: Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by budaatum: 10:54am On Sep 11, 2018
I know we are not all stupid and quite a lot of us have brains. I wake up in the morning and see bright futures for this reason. If I were a god believer, I would seriously sing praises. In fact, thank you gods for surrounding me with all the brainy people that surround me. Please increase their number exponentially, always. So mote!

Here is a Country List Government Debt to GDP. I was after a graph showing debt for G7 countries in 2007, just before the economic crisis that shooed Obama in, to when Trump took over, to show how most countries ramped up debt in that period. Meanwhile, here's a graph for UK debt in that period.

Re: Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:17pm On Sep 16, 2018
Hanji:

Good question. cool
Re: Here's How Much Debt The US Government Added Under President Obama by budaatum: 5:22pm On Sep 16, 2018
Hanji:
As of July 31, 2018, debt held by the public was $15.6 trillion and intragovernmental holdings were $5.7 trillion, for a total or "National Debt" of $21.3 trillion. Debt held by the public was approximately 77% of GDP in 2017, ranked 43rd highest out of 207 countries. The Congressional Budget Office forecast in April 2018 that the ratio will rise to nearly 100% by 2028, perhaps higher if current policies are extended beyond their scheduled expiration date. As of December 2017, $6.3 trillion or approximately 45% of the debt held by the public was owned by foreign investors, the largest being China (about $1.18 trillion) then Japan (about $1.06 trillion). Wiki

(1) (Reply)

Robert Mugabe Paralysed: Mnangagwa / Trump Urges Venezuelan Military: ‘set Your Country Free / The Bishop Of Rome & South Sudan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.