Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll (2852 Views)

N1.69trn Rail Contract: Reps May Summon Pdp's Ex-chairman, Jonathan's Men / MASSOB To Jonathan: Free Rev. King, 35 Others Before May 29 / The Greatest Achievement Of President Goodluck Jonathan - Free Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Beaf: 1:01am On Jul 03, 2010
[size=14pt]Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll If , —Nwodo [/size]
Written by By Bola Badmus
Saturday, 03 July 2010

National Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, has said that President Goodluck Jonathan will contest the 2011 presidential poll if he meets the party and 1999 Constitutional requirements, even as he disclosed that the PDP would revisit the zoning arrangement within the party.

The PDP boss said this during an interview with a London-based television station, Ben Tv.

Nwodo is in London to attend a two-day conference on 50 years of Nigeria and also meet with the leadership of the party in the United Kingdom. The PDP national chairman made the declaration while speaking on the rumoured ambition of President Jonathan, just as he said he would not want to be dragged into what was still in the realm of rumour.

However, Nwodo maintained that under his leadership, any member of the party aspiring to run for any election would enjoy a level-playing ground.

“What I am assuring every member of the party is that internal democracy will take place under my watch,” he assured.

The PDP national chairman declared that the era of people sitting down somewhere in the name of godfathers and godmothers to determine who flies the flag of the party was gone for good.

He also said that the party would ensure that anybody who was to be the standard-bearer of the PDP would not only have gone through the test of the people, but such person must scale through the integrity test of the party.

“Without internal democracy in the parties, our democracy cannot grow and that is exactly what I intend to pursue to a logical conclusion,” he stated.

Speaking on zoning, the PDP chairman said the party intended to revisit it with a view to carrying everybody along since it had been operated in breach in the past, noting that the position would be made known before the PDP picked his presidential candidate for 2011 pool.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/news/1477-jonathan-free-to-contest-2011-poll-if-nwodo.html
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by OAM4J: 7:43am On Jul 03, 2010
Not surprised!
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by metalgong5(m): 8:01am On Jul 03, 2010
Yes, why won't he support Jonathan? . . . Afterall the case of the $250,000,000 National ID card scam which he was involved is still being withheld by the ICPC.
As a wise thief, he won't like to recieve the baptism of fire which forced Ogbulafor out of office.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Acidosis(m): 8:50am On Jul 03, 2010
^^very funny
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Beaf: 11:17am On Jul 03, 2010
metal-gong:

Yes, why won't he support Jonathan? . . . Afterall the case of the $250,000,000 National ID card scam which he was involved is still being withheld by the ICPC.
As a wise thief, he won't like to recieve the baptism of fire which forced Ogbulafor out of office.

It is simple politics. You play the game with anyone that is amenable to the wishes of the majority. After we are enabled to truely elect our representatives, there will no longer be a need for "deals on wheels". There is a bigger game being played out, don't miss the big picture.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by presido1: 1:47pm On Jul 03, 2010
Beaf:

It is simple politics. You play the game with anyone that is amenable to the wishes of the majority. After we are enabled to truely elect our representatives, there will no longer be a need for "deals on wheels". There is a bigger game being played out, don't miss the big picture.
This is the reason why we are where we are today, support the looting and thievery when it benefit you and shout when it swings to another side. I hope you will not cry blue murder when the northerners start their own.

I think the young generation of Nigerians will be worst than what we are seeing now, if not how can a young man that see himself as a progressive citizen post such comment.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jul 03, 2010
I think one of two things should happen.
either
1. do away with zoning entirely

or

2. write it into the Nigerian constitution let everyone be bound by it.

The status quo is very dangerous for the future of this country.

Those paying too much attention to what the North has to say or not should stop being polically lazy. The inuendoes, intrigues and shenanigans that gave them advantage politically will not survive the digital age. So I am not scared of anybody. We are now approaching an age where only those who are able to build honest alliances for the progress of Nigeria will remain politically relevant.

So folks should stop paying too much attention on what the North might do and start paying attention to what is fair to all.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 03, 2010
I wont recommend we do away with the threat of the north so easily because of their antecedents.The north maybe power drunk but they tend to be subdued whenever a compromise on how to share power is agreed on.
the last thing i want to witness again in this country is disruption to this fragile democracy that has come to stay and history would bame jonathan if such disruption is repeated in this age.
A compromise is the only thing we need to keep this country foreverly in peace and unity. zoning should be given constitutional recognition.
mikeansy:

I think one of two things should happen.
either
1. do away with zoning entirely

or

2. write it into the Nigerian constitution let everyone be bound by it.

The status quo is very dangerous for the future of this country.

Those paying too much attention to what the North has to say or not should stop being polically lazy. The inuendoes, intrigues and shenanigans that gave them advantage politically will not survive the digital age. So I am not scared of anybody. We are now approaching an age where only those who are able to build honest alliances for the progress of Nigeria will remain politically relevant.

So folks should stop paying too much attention on what the North might do and start paying attention to what is fair to all.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Beaf: 4:15pm On Jul 03, 2010
presido1:

This is the reason why we are where we are today, support the looting and thievery when it benefit you and shout when it swings to another side. I hope you will not cry blue murder when the northerners start their own.

I think the young generation of Nigerians will be worst than what we are seeing now, if not how can a young man that see himself as a progressive citizen post such comment.

The boldest is the most disgraceful statement I have ever read on NL. To the old North, politics is all about bare faced stealing, that is the reason why the most urgent task today, is removing their grimy fingers from the levers of power, so that they never hold the country to ransome ever again.

Call it the South, Middle Belt, far Northern minorities and Northern Christians fighting for their independence and equality within their own country, because Mr Sule, that is EXACTLY what it is and victory is assured.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Dede1(m): 4:57pm On Jul 03, 2010
If Goodluck Jonathan runs in 2011, baring any electoral fraud, he will loose the election.
So far, he has shown the traits in a person that is very unprincipled.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by IRAPADA(m): 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2010
Jonathan shd be very careful in dealing with this thief who cal hmsf nwodo
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by OAM4J: 5:31pm On Jul 03, 2010
Dede1:

If Goodluck Jonathan runs in 2011, baring any electoral fraud, he will loose the election.

I think it is more of the usual Nigerian love for power trait. Fate handed to him a once in life opportunity and he is taking it to its fullest.

Forget about him waiting till 2015, the political equation doesn't always remain the same with time in Nigerian politics.

2 years ago, who would have thought Jonathan will be the man to beat in PDP.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 03, 2010
Dede1:

there is no way on earth the 2011 can be free and fair if jonathan is to contest considering the fact that he would still need northern votes to make an outright win to avoid a runoff.sitting presidents do hardly conduct a fair election that would ousted them out of power instead resort to manipulations.i see jonathan adpoping same if he wants to win.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Becomrich0: 7:04pm On Jul 03, 2010
So you would agree with me that the solution is still this map. I dont think we have a choice to avoid a civil war.
we are praying for you people.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by mamagee3(f): 7:25pm On Jul 03, 2010
Not surprised at all.

Nigerians are living in a dictatorian government. grin
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Becomrich0: 7:30pm On Jul 03, 2010
If Jonathan remove Yorubas,delta and edo state. All Jonathan need to win , in the remaining 26 states is 14 states, See map.

Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Iceugwa(m): 7:36pm On Jul 03, 2010
everyone should be free nothing like zoning
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 03, 2010
Iceugwa:

everyone should be free nothing like zoning
would you have said so if yaradua is still alive.now he's dead,everybody is crying foul as if rotational presidency is new to us.na wao.how many of you questioned it when yaradua was imposed on nigeria by obasanjo
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by SamMilla1(m): 8:05pm On Jul 03, 2010
He is doing what they brought him to do. Its not a surprising news.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by seanet02: 8:55pm On Jul 03, 2010
Na so my friend.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Africanson: 11:27pm On Jul 03, 2010
I have heard a lot about president Gooodluck Jonathan's eligibility contesting the presidency come 2011. My own take is there should be no question about Jonathan's eligibility contesting on the PDP ticket or not. Jonathan should contest because he is still continuing the mandate given him and Yar'adua in the last presidencial election(8 years duration of 4 each), they have only done 4 years remaining another 4 years. It does not matter whether Yar'adua is dead. What if it was Goodluck Jonathan that died?. Would Yar'adua not have contested come 2011?.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Beaf: 12:00am On Jul 04, 2010
~Bluetooth:

would you have said so if yaradua is still alive.now he's dead,everybody is crying foul as if rotational presidency is new to us.na wao.how many of you questioned it when yaradua was imposed on nigeria by obasanjo

Yes, Yar Adua is dead and never coming back. Respect the dead, we aren't into ancestor worship.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by SapeleGuy: 12:16am On Jul 04, 2010
This is all academic, Jonathan is not the southerner that can win an election in 2011.

The irony is that zoning permeates the nigerian polity. Did Nwodo stop to think why he had to replace Ogbulafor? or why Ken Nnamani, Adolphus Wabara, Pius Anyim, Chuba Okadigbo and Evan Enwerem were senate president from 1999 to 2007. Just incase he doesn't know, the answer is zoning.

However, that is a PDP rule. Nigeria is not a 1 party state and PDP is not the only party.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by udezue(m): 2:02am On Jul 04, 2010
Bluetooth, The North doesn't need any compromise. Who are they? U act like these people are gods. No zoning come 2011 if they don't like let heaven and earth collide. The days of bending backwards to our own detriment in the name of appeasing these desert rats are long gone. It was this back-bending in the name of compromise that got us in this mess since the 60s.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by truly: 5:53am On Jul 04, 2010
Africanson:

I have heard a lot about president Gooodluck Jonathan's eligibility contesting the presidency come 2011. My own take is there should be no question about Jonathan's eligibility contesting on the PDP ticket or not. Jonathan should contest because he is still continuing the mandate given him and Yar'adua in the last presidencial election(8 years duration of 4 each), they have only done 4 years remaining another 4 years. It does not matter whether Yar'adua is dead. What if it was Goodluck Jonathan that died?. Would Yar'adua not have contested come 2011?.
Do you sincerely believe what you have written
That Yaradua and Johnathan were elected based on personal recognition
And not on where they are from?

And if GJ (God forbid) had died, would the South South not have been putting another person forward as VP?
When we make comments, we should look at 2 perspectives
(1) If you were to be praying before God, is this what you would tell God sincerely
(2) You may set up a rule today to favour yourself, but it may turn against you tomorrow

Zoning becomes useless and anti-progress when it is standing in the way of GJ becoming President
But it was not when it allowed a minority man even from his Bayelsa home state to become VP
(Note that within Bayelsa GJ is from a minority group (1 of 8 LGs) while Alams group is from majority tribe (4 out of 8 LGs) )
This situation can come around
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by truly: 5:59am On Jul 04, 2010
udezue:

Bluetooth, The North doesn't need any compromise. Who are they? U act like these people are gods. No zoning come 2011 if they don't like let heaven and earth collide. The days of bending backwards to our own detriment in the name of appeasing these desert rats are long gone. It was this back-bending in the name of compromise that got us in this mess since the 60s.
And are you really happy talking this way about people created by God
when nobody here can create a cell?

If we talk this way about fellow blacks
why should others not look down on the balck race
It is difficult for a black man to point at his clear achievements compared to other blacks
But the whites have done wonders - your computer, internet, aircraft, space technology, medicine etc
Yet you would be annoyed if they called you a rat
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by truly: 6:04am On Jul 04, 2010
SapeleGuy:

This is all academic, Jonathan is not the southerner that can win an election in 2011.

The irony is that zoning permeates the nigerian polity. Did Nwodo stop to think why he had to replace Ogbulafor? or why Ken Nnamani, Adolphus Wabara, Pius Anyim, Chuba Okadigbo and Evan Enwerem were senate president from 1999 to 2007. Just incase he doesn't know, the answer is zoning.

However, that is a PDP rule. Nigeria is not a 1 party state and PDP is not the only party.
Mantu was deputy senate president to several senate presidents
All the senate presidents were from SE
Nobodu ever asked that the man be promoted to the office of senate president
Why? because of zoning

Bankole succeeded Etteh
Why? zoning

Each state has 3 senatorial districts
No senatorial district will allow others districts to continue producing speaker and governor because those people are competent
So the argument that where somebody comes from does not matter in present day Nigeria is not tenable

Nigerians continue to vote according to tribal affiliations
How come APGA and PPA are very popular in SE
And AC and LP in the SW

Even in Ogun, people of the same state and tribe are fighting over which zone suceeds Daniel
I don't believe that a Yoruba does not care if he is ruled forever by an hausa man simply because the man is said to be competent

And if we are talking about competence, is GJ the most competent politician in Nigeria today?
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by udezue(m): 1:44pm On Jul 04, 2010
Truly, I really don't care if they are eskimo. Why preach all that black man vs white to me when u should be in Kaduna telling ur brothers that they are blacks not Arabs? Did the white care about your opinion when Europe rose against German Nazi and their Italian allies? Truth here is that Hausa-Fulani oligarchy have become a menace and there is no need to sugar-coat anything in the name of being black like them. Do they see us as fellow black? Heck naw. Your average Hausa-Fulani man will rather deal with Arab muslims than you and I hence they riot and kill so called fellow blacks over issues concerning Arabs like Palestinians and Denmark cartoons. Preach to some1 else.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Kobojunkie: 1:49pm On Jul 04, 2010
Dede1:

Yep!

presido1:

That is just it!
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by oderemo(m): 2:02pm On Jul 04, 2010
become rich or whatever, can you stay out of this discussion for once pls.
thank you.
Re: Nwodo (pdp Chairman): Jonathan Free To Contest 2011 Poll by Olarogba: 2:17pm On Jul 04, 2010
In the mist of all these jabbings, let me add another dimesion to it. If GJ agree to wait till 2015 for a northerner to finish Yar'adua (north) 8 years tenure. Will the guy(i.e. 2011 northern president) not seek 2nd term in office which is legitimate right under the Nigerian constitution.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Cpc Campaign Rally In Benin - Images / Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria / Did El-rufai Sacrifice His Daughter To Become The SGF?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.