Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,495 members, 7,954,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:05 PM

Ferocious (chapter Seven) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ferocious (chapter Seven) (358 Views)

Ferocious (Chapter 23 - 26) / Ferocious (chapter Two) / Ferocious (chapter One) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ferocious (chapter Seven) by Chykwrites(m): 7:50pm On Sep 12, 2018
Claire turned the car away from the main road and drove into to green fields of the Wilson farm.

She parked the vehicle beside one of the police cars. She pulled out the keys from the ignition, undid her seat belt and made her way out of the car.

The first thing she noticed was the crowd gathered a few metres from what appeared to be a stable.

She walked closer to the scene, slowly, studying the expressions of the onlookers and immediately found one thing they all had in common, Shock.

Claire then heard the loud cry of a woman at the far Corner, She tilted her gaze and saw the farmers wife on her knees, on the floor. She was crying her eyes out as two women and a female police officer had her in their arms, trying, to avail, to console her.

Claire fought the urge to go over to her, as the sight of the old woman in obvious pain was beginning to get to her. She felt a lump in her throat as she watched the old woman.

She tore her gaze from the farmers wife and increased her pace towards the crowd.

At that Moment, Brent looked back casually and widened his eyes when he saw Claire approach.

He dropped his hands from his waste and started to jog over to the blonde woman.

"What the hell are you doing here?", The Officer uttered as he met up with her.

"What happened?", Claire asked without even looking at the Police officer before her. Her eyes were trained on the gathering down the field.

"Look Claire", Brent whispered heavy, throwing occasional glances at his boss in the distance. "You shouldn't be here".

When the news had reached them back at the morgue, Claire had said she wanted to come with them, but the Chief had refused.

"You've done your part Mrs. Hayes and we thank you", The chief had said. "We can take it from her now. You don't need to be involved anymore".

"Bullshit", Claire had told Brent when he had apologised to her.

She waited for the police convoy to move, before she got into her car and followed from a distance without any of them noticing.

"What happened Brent?", She asked again, her eyes still on the crowd.

"Jesus Claire I don't want you involved in this anymore", Brent groaned. "Just go home and I'll come over with Susan later and update you on the situation".

Claire's eyes then shot up to Brent's face in an icy Glare. She couldn't believe he was saying all this. She didn't know if she was feeling hurt or angry.

She pulled away from Brent and glared at him.

"Are you kidding me?", She scowled.

"Claire, Please listen, you-".

"No you listen, Mister-top secret-Classified Policeman", She cut him off with a hiss. "You woke me up at Seven thirty in the morning, dragged my Ass to a freaking morgue and had me examining two half eaten young people".

Brent sighed in frustration and licked his lips. He opened his mouth to say something, but Claire kept cutting him off.

"If you didn't want me involved, then you should have left me alone, you freaking jack Ass", She hissed as she threw punch at the officer's left shoulder.

"Ouch!", Brent moaned as he held his shoulder with his wide eyes on the angry blonde woman infront of him. "What the hell?"

"What. Happened.",. Claire hissed through gritted teeth.

Brent looked at her for a while and then sighed, dropping his shoulders. "It's Wilson's son", He uttered.

He watched as the look of rage on her face quickly dissolved into that of confusion.

Claire pushed passed him and began working towards the scene, completely ignoring the deputy who was calling her back.

She pushed her way through the crowd and saw it.

A body covered in white sheet, just like the ones she had seen earlier today at the morgue, except for.the fact that the white sheet on this body had a lot of red stains.

Claire kept her eyes on the body as she slowly made her way over.

"Poor Barney", She heard an onlooker whisper behind. "First his sheep, now this?"

"It's terrible".

"What is going on?"

"I heard it was a bear".

"I doubt that".

"I don't know, but the deputies better tell us something".

The speculative whispers went on and on behind Claire as she slowly made her way to the body, at the same time, immediately noticing the old man kneeling beside it.

"Ma'am", A police officer called as he came infront of her, stopping her in her tracks. "I'm Sorry ma'am, you can't be here, this is a crime scene".

Claire Clenched her jaws, glaring at the officer she had not really recognised. She then opened her mouth to spit Venom, when Brent immediately through himself between them.

"It's okay...it's fine", Brent said and then he turned to face her with a sigh. "She's with us".

Claire glared at Brent as she made her way passed him while the unfamiliar Officer shot confused glances at Claire and Brent.

Claire brought herself to a stop at the right hand side of the body, her breath beginning to quicken as a certain metallic smell filled the air.

The reality of the situation hit her hard as she stared at the body covered in blood soaked sheets.

"He was my Only son", The old farmer who was on his knees at the other side of the body whispered.

She slowly raised her eyes and saw the old man raise his sorrowful eyes to her. His eyes were bloodshot and welling with tears. He looked like he had been crying for hours. He looked really pale.

"He was my only Child", The old man said with a shaky Voice before he broke down into sobs.

Claire stared at him for a while, trying hard not to cry as she felt her eyes beginning to sting.

The blonde lady walked over to the other side and knelt down beside the old man, throwing her arms on his back.

"I've lost everything now", The old man sniffed. "It's all gone".

Claire leaned in beside the farmer, tightening her grip on his shoulders. "No you haven't Barney", She whispered heavily. "You haven't".

When he said nothing, his dull eyes fixated on his son's dead body, Claire looked over in the distance. His wife was calmer now, wrapped in a grey Blanket with a bottle of water in her hand and a group of Police officials gathered around her.

"Katherine still needs you", Claire whispered to the old man.

Barney Wilson raised his gaze and looked in the Direction of his wife. He shifted his gaze to his son's body again with uttering a word.

Claire licked her lips as she stared into space, thinking of what to say to the grieving old man beside her. She wasn't really good at consoling people, but she also couldn't imagine the pain Barney and his wife could be going through.

She knew how long the had stayed before the could have a child and how the entire town almost went into a celebration when they heard that Katherine Wilson was finally pregnant after so many years without a child.

But now, that child was gone.

Claire tilted her gaze again to the sobbing old man beside her and blinked back tears while observing him at the same time.

"Have you eaten Something today, Barney?", She asked.

When the farmer said nothing, Claire suddenly looked in Brent's direction. "Brent", She called.

The Officer spun away from a conversation he was having his colleagues and began walking over.

"He needs to eat something", Claire said as Brent reached them. "He shouldn't be here".

Brent nodded at her comments as he reached over to grab the old man up. "Come on Barney", Brent said with a wry smile. "Let's go get a bite".

"No", The old man pulled away from the deputy. "I'm not going anywhere, I'm staying with him. I'm staying with my son".

Claire gave a sigh and looked at Brent who also dropped his shoulders.

"Barney please", Claire began. "I mean, look at you, you're pale, and weak and you're probably dehydrated".

She then leaned closer and placed a palm on the old man's face, tilting his head so she could look into his Swollen red eyes.

"You need to eat something", She said.

With his eyes still looking into hers, the old man was silent, before he slowly returned his gaze to his son.

Claire looked up at Brent again and Nodded.

"Okay Barney", The deputies tried again, reaching for him. "Let's go".

The farmer was reluctant at first, but then he finally stood to his feet, his face contorted into an emotional pain as he began to cry while Brent was leading him away.

Claire turned away from them and faced the body before her, wiping the tears that had fallen down her Cheeks as she saw officer Larry approach with a look of concern on his face.

"You-you Okay Doc?", Larry uttered.

She sighed and looked up at him, blinking rapidly, with a smile on her face.

"I'm fine larry", She said.

looking down at the body before her, She reached over and held the top of the sheet, took a deep breath, before slowly peeling it off, preparing herself for whatever was beneath.

Claire Swallowed hard and gave out a trembling sigh as she stared at the Mangled body of Philip Wilson.

She saw Larry turn away and heard a few quiet gasps from onlookers in the distance when she raised the sheets. She could even hear a few women sobbing, She could hear a few 'Oh my god(s)'.

The blonde woman felt weak as she stared at the body. The Skull had been crushed, which caused the right side of his head to cave in.

She moved her eyes further down and noticed both his legs had been torn of completely from the hip ,with his torso still intact and his right arm bitten off below the elbow.

"S-Same Killer huh?", Larry stuttered.

At that point, Claire's gaze moved to the the boy's neck and she noticed what she had realised was the killers trademark.

"Massive tissue loss on the neck".

"Yep", Claire sighed. "The same killer".

She covered the body and pulled herself from the floor.

"He was just Sixteen years old you know", Larry said. "He never did anything to anyone".

Those words cut through Claire's heart like a knife.

"God, her daughter was Sixteen too".

She turned her eyes and caught Chief Kent and Patrick together, discussing something farther away from the scene.

She suddenly felt her stomach grumble, She didn't know if was anger or Hunger, but she knew she was Mad at the fact that the officials were keeping this away from the people of the town.

She suddenly left Larry with the body and began matching towards the two men.

Kent couldn't hide his surprise when her saw the blonde woman.

"Dr. Hayes, what are you-".

"Just how long do you think you're gonna keep this from the people of this town?", Claire cut him off, seething as she crossed her arms over a Chests.

Kent sighed and stood his ground. "Well", he began. "I would have said for as long as it took, but I don't think that's gonna be easy anymore". He then nodded in a direction behind Claire.

She spun and saw a group of report setting up their equipment beside their van, parked on the field.

Claire licked her lips and turned back to face the chief. She watched as Patrick left them and slowly walked away, farther away with his eyes on the woods in the distance, obviously lost in thought.

"Does the Mayor know?", Claire asked as she looked back at Kent.

"Well", The chief said. "If he doesn't watch the news tonight, He'll know by tomorrow morning".

Claire watched the police chief for a while and was surprised when she began to feel sorry for him. He looked pale and tired, just like Philip's father, the only difference was that he wasn't crying.

He obviously didn't feel like talking much.

"Please Excuse me Dr. Hayes", Kent said, before he walked away.

She would have ran after him for more answers, but she could tell, like everyone else, the boy's death had taken a toll on him.

Claire turned and glanced over at Patrick in the distance. His hand were in his pocket as he stared out into the large expanse, oblivious to what ever was going on behind him.

She walked over to him and stopped beside him.

Being in charge of the town's Zoo, Claire knew he knew more about the situation than any other person.

If she was going to trust anyone's opinion on this matter, it had to be Patrick Parker's.

The two of them stood there in Silence for sometime. The morning breeze tugging at their hair and clothing.

Claire turned to face Patrick, his eyes narrowed and his brows furrowed in thought.

"What do you think?", The words escaped her.

Patrick turned to her, his serious expression dissolved.

"What do I think?", He said, then he turned back to the view infront of him.

"I think Cherrywood Valley has got a big man-eating problem", The brown haired man sighed.

(1) (Reply)

Semifinal Of Nigeria's Foremost Slam Poetry Competition Holds Sunday October 14 / Akukom Story Writing Competition(details) / Committed Writers Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.